Need to wage war on mice / rats

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #11  
my problem was with rats, but sure mice would be the same. so far the spray foam fill with gravel aggregate has been highly effective. no sign of breach whatsoever but needs to be at least a few inches thick. the rats gnawed through the conventional sill vents (plastic & screen), but so far the foam gravel package is highly effective in the entry voids, etc.
in addition, i have used a tight grid hardware cloth over the sill vents. rats can't gnaw through rock & heavy gauge wire cloth

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #12  
The only thing you will keep out is the skunk if you try mouse proofing building. Skunks seldom climb so snap traps can be placed up high. Tractor Supply Company sell's good bait by the bucket that isn't offered in small packs. How good is good? I was placing it in outbuildings and stored bucket in barn. When I went to get bucket and replenish bait,they had chewed holes where lid snap's to bucket. I wish i could report they were wiped out but they were only partly eliminated. Why didn't it kill them all if they were that attracted to it? Because, (heads up this is important) everywhere rats and mice go they dribble urine. Lots of stuff posted on TBN is hog wash so I'll tell you how to easily prove what I'm telling you. Rats and mice love corn,right? Set a gallon or two of shelled corn in the most rat infested building you know of and they will never eat all of it. Once it's peed on they will starve before eating it. Don't let them pee on your animal feed and don't rely on bait that has been out long enough to be peed on. Now back to the bait bucket. I did get rid of them after buying fresh bait and storeing it where they couldn't help themselves.
As a side note about rats and mice. This is reason enough to refrain form killing every snake found in and around buildings. Learn to id the ones that are poison and let the others live.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #13  
Poison bait can kill the predators that eat rodents. The mice or rats wander around sick and vulnerable before they die, and they often get eaten. Then the poison goes to work on the predator.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #14  
Do the "walk the plank" traps work well? I've heard of them but never used one? And when the motorhome arrives, is there anything that can go around the tires to dissuade mice from invading?
Yes, I have the ones that go in a hole cut in the side of the bucket: New & Improved Walk The Plank Mouse Trap - Auto Reset - USA MADE | eBay

1625435504055.png

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #15  
I use these, need to make some more... I have a couple that have 7 rat traps on them too... I've been meaning to do some of the bucket traps either with the spinning bottle or the diving board type...

This setup is simple, it's just a bunch of alternating mouse traps baited with peanut butter (not always necessary) screwed to a board with a piece of allthread in the middle bent into a handle shape (the 10' pieces are cheap at home depot so I use that for everything...)

Attachments

• 20180921_201558.jpg
    20180921_201558.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 237
   / Need to wage war on mice / rats #16  
There are many alternatives to snap traps, but when I use them I put them in a shoebox-sized box with a hole cut in it to keep the pets or other critters from heading for the bait.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #17  
I keep a small armada of Victor traps near all the openings in my barn, baited with salami. I make a habit of checking them every morning. At first there are a lot but soon it's a rare occurrence to catch a mouse.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #18  
I have had big problems with mice and squirrels. Squirrels seem worst because they chew wires. My mini-excavator has nylon socks with moth balls - has been effective but its open platform so the vapors won't harm me. Empty buckets in my machine shed, especially if they have been used for seed at some point, attract mice and result in a slow death - water in which they will drown would be an improvement. Hole through bucket near top dowel stuck through hole with pop can coated with peanut butter on the can and water in the bucket is very effective - until it freezes. Saturday I vacuumed the engine compartment of my diesel pickup - it sits all winter. Among the other things the squirrels had collected for their nest was a packet of Grandpa Gus rodent repellant. An RV stored really can use Fresh Cab - works better for me than Grandpa Gus. But in my continuing fight, I can never keep ahead of them.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #19  
If you use dryer sheets, be sure to change them regularly and discard in a manner mice and rats can not get to, or you will be providing nesting material and probably increasing your population. Moth balls seem to be effective, but may allow their odor to filter into the motorhome. Depending upon the age of the motorhome, wire insulation may be produced with recycled cooking oil which will always contain the odor of cooked foot attracting lots of critters chew on the wires and cause lots of issues.
While an overwhelming task, preventing entry is the most effective prevention. Mice and rats and most rodents have super sensitive smell at least for certain things—their urine and pop which they follow to food sources as well as many types of food sources.