Negotiating for a new tractor?

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #11  
So, at X:25 AM (hour varies by time zone) you posted this question. Within two hours you got several replies, but in the meantime you were out buying something apparently before reading any of them.
Until you posted this I seriously thought he asked yesterday.. Holy crap have I had a looong day :oops:

/ Negotiating for a new tractor?
The question was posted early this morning. Before heading out to do some errands out of town I read all of the responses. On the way back home I stopped by to purchase the tractor. A lot of thought and questions were put forth beforehand so I saw no reason for delay. Besides I was up against a deadline on the tractor promotion.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #13  
At Talladega Tractor in Talladega Alabama they have approximately three large tractors on their lot and one small tractor and about a half-dozen to a dozen mowers point is, their lot is nearly empty. They can't get any tractors on the lot to sell. It's been like that for several months now.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #14  
At Talladega Tractor in Talladega Alabama they have approximately three large tractors on their lot and one small tractor and about a half-dozen to a dozen mowers point is, their lot is nearly empty. They can't get any tractors on the lot to sell. It's been like that for several months now.
Beshears in Opelika has been able to keep a pretty good stock for the last couple months, not a full lot but a good stock. Last time I was by they probably had 30 tractors across the sizes and a ton of Skidsteers and excavators. When I bought my M4 last fall it was one of three tractors on the lot though.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #15  
Beshears in Opelika has been able to keep a pretty good stock for the last couple months, not a full lot but a good stock. Last time I was by they probably had 30 tractors across the sizes and a ton of Skidsteers and excavators. When I bought my M4 last fall it was one of three tractors on the lot though.
Doesn't always mean they are for sale. They might be pre-sold units waiting on dealer prep and/or owner delivery. But it seems to slowly be improving. I have noticed that the larger, more volume, dealers definitely have the priority. The rest still seem to be having to pre-sale and wait.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #16  

beeser where u be?​

willy

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #17  
How much wiggle room is there in the MSRP for a new tractor? Does the supposed scarcity of available tractors warrant paying the full amount?
Replying for the benefit of those who are searching the forum for this topic.

It depends on many factors. In general, you will get the best deal being a cash buyer purchasing a tractor that has sat on a lot for a long time at a dealer who really wants to sell tractors. You will generally have the least negotiating room if you are having a dealer who doesn't really care about selling too many tractors order a tractor and you are financing it. "Scarcity" does reduce negotiating room as a scarce tractor is one that is not already sitting on a dealer's lot that a dealer had to purchase from the manufacturer and has money tied up in. Dealers will still give discounts off of MSRP to sell tractors they have to order. It's not going to be as much as if it's already on their lot, but if they want to sell tractors, they will need to be competitive with the guys down the road. I would go get quotes of similar tractors from the various brands in the region and use those to try to negotiate, that is probably the only way to get a dealer to budge much off of their price on a scarce tractor they have to order.

There is also the limit to how good of a deal you will get on a tractor, dealers do need to stay in business so they rarely sell at a loss. The often quoted figure is that dealer invoice is about 80% of MSRP, so you shouldn't expect to be able to pay less than that as they would be losing money.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #18  
You can check out the various dealers in your
area but like what happened on one guy the
dealers were talking to each other and the price
was the same from the first dealer so no chance
to bargain. It may not happen to you but u never
know

willy

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #19  
At this point in time you will most likely not get any 'wiggle room' to negotiate from the quoted price. Whether that quoted price is MSRP or not.
I have a lot of experience dealing with Kubota in this way now and what I have learned is there is no negotiating with Kubota dealers period.
Kubota gives the consumer two choices:
Zero percent financing and you pay whatever the dealer wants to charge.
Become a member of the equestrian club and you get 20% off MSRP. However, Kubota is now being squirrely about what is MSRP.