Neighbor removed my property line pin

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin
Holy Moly, I would love to mow grass that nice!

There's almost 3 acres of it...can I expect you to be here next spring to mow it for me?;):laughing:

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #22  
If you ignore it the neighbor can claim that property in some states. He can say he has been taking care of it for years and as a squatter can take it

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #23  
TCB - perhaps we have the same neighbor. I have had it done twice and now I have concreted 4x4 posts in place of such. Won't happen again. I don't get people like this.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #24  
joshuabardwell said:
I have very little sympathy for those who build near a property line without surveying first. When I built a fence around my property, I bit the bullet and paid $600 to have my place surveyed. Every pin was where it was supposed to be, but my neighbor had hinted that he thought a previous owner had moved some of the pins, and I wasn't about to take a chance of him arguing with me in the future. I understand that neighborly peace can be a more important principle than the property line itself, so I'm not questioning your decision to let it slide, but I have also seen too many of these cases where a person's generosity with regard to property rights turned out to be his undoing. I hope that you don't become one of them.

A fence makes for great neighbors. No one argues where the line is.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #25  
Property boundaries & fence lines are always a potential cause of major neighbour disputes.
I have found through bitter experience ,in the long run it pays to get the boundaries sorted & defined ASAP irrepective of any short term angst that may be created.
Over here (Australia) in some States there are several recent legal precedents which have seen addtional land "acquired"/property boundaries redefined because a property owner innocently without understanding the ramifications,has in the law's "eye's" willingly allowed their neighbour to access/use land for some years free of charge .......can't recall the exact legal term but it is something along the lines of "land acquired through abandoned occupancy"....
IMO - I'd be seeking legal advice specific to your area as the your neighbours underground phone line probably consistutes a potential "easement" on your land & may be the cause for dissent, devaluation &/or limitations on that use of your land in the future...

If you ignore it the neighbor can claim that property in some states. He can say he has been taking care of it for years and as a squatter can take it

He actually WAS taking care of some of my property prior to the survey. If he wanted to claim it I'm sure he would have tried after the survey was done. Adverse possession in CT is 15yrs. Prior to the survey and trees, it was open space and we both mowed up to the approx property line. The arborvitaes there now are planted 3' inside the line and have already reached the 2' mark. I'd like to keep them at a 2' spread but may let them go the full 3' to the property line. The missing pin was at the 3' mark

IMO - I'd be seeking legal advice specific to your area as the your neighbours underground phone line probably consistutes a potential "easement" on your land & may be the cause for dissent, devaluation &/or limitations on that use of your land in the future...

You bring up another valid point and one I thought of once or twice. In fact I'm surprised the surveyor I hired didn't say anything when the pin was set next to the phone line riser. The neighbors underground phone line is buried on the property line (about 400' worth of mine) or maybe an inch inside give or take. No easement mentioned in the deed. Doesn't really bother me but like the missing pin, maybe I should look into that as well?

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #28  
If you know the location of the corner within an inch or 2 install a steel pin there for your reference. Drive it an inch below ground level and don't say anything about it. Galvanized ground rod will last along time.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #29  
Well here goes. The neighbor may have moved the pin, or not. Thing is whoever moved it saw it there and knew you went to some expense to get it there. If that same someone sees the surveyor out again and sees the pin replaced they're going to see that you're determined to have the pin there and may give up. I'm not sure how it is where you are, but here surveyor pins are steel pins driven just below ground level and are stamped with a number. Removing them is considered some kind of criminal offense. Perhaps a deer camera could help clear it up?

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #30  
You bring up another valid point and one I thought of once or twice. In fact I'm surprised the surveyor I hired didn't say anything when the pin was set next to the phone line riser. The neighbors underground phone line is buried on the property line (about 400' worth of mine) or maybe an inch inside give or take. No easement mentioned in the deed. Doesn't really bother me but like the missing pin, maybe I should look into that as well?

If the boundaries are ever fenced that's going make it a real pain.............