new 1510D owner

/ new 1510D owner #1  

worknhard

Tractor
Yanmar 1510D
Hi everyone. I just bought a 1510D the other day. I think I got a pretty good deal I got the tractor 4' king kutter finish mower, scrape blade, forks, and a scoop for $1800. It runs pretty good. I'm gonna change the fluids this weekend. I will need to get manuals before long but not right now. If anyone has any tips or anything that will help me feel free to let me know. I am also wanting to get rid of the finish mower and get a bush hog.

/ new 1510D owner #2  
You stole it. :thumbsup: Typical price for all that, at least over here on the left coast, would be 2x~3x what you paid assuming good condition.

I have a YM186D. Same thing, US version. I can't think of any tips. These things are pretty obvious.

You are doing the right thing to replace fluids upon buying it. Don't overlook the transmission 'strainer' behind the triangular plate. You might drop the fuel filter bowl and see if that filter needs replacement too, but this doesn't need to be done immediately.

And consider replacing the front axle fluid. 90 wt gear oil, and there are drains at the lowest points of the hubs. Expect overnight to drain completely, and hours, maybe days, for a fill to settle in so the little dipstick (right axle) means anything. Measure the quantity that came out, to estimate how much to refill. As I recall, mine need at least two quart jugs.

These all need the radiator exterior fins flushed clean with a garden hose, to get rid of mowing chaff.

I have water ballast in all four tires, 250 lbs on the front bumper, two 70 lb iron weights on the back wheels, and a 70 lb Quickhitch out back. It still has more hp than traction.

Welcome aboard!

/ new 1510D owner
Yeah I planned on changing all the fluids. May flush the rad next week sometime. It fires right up. There is a little play in the steering box and it looks like the screw has been adjusted all the way in so at some point in time I'll have to take the box apart and do some work in there I guess. I did notice the hydraulic fluid is kinda milky that's my main reason for doing the change. Around here people seem to think tractors are made of gold too. When I saw this on craigslist he had it listed for best offer and I asked how close he would go to 2k and he said he'd take $1800. So I hit the road 200 mile round trip but seems to be well worth it. As far as weight goes yeah I saw that they only weigh like 1450lbs so I'm gonna make a good front bumper and fill the tires with water or antifreeze or something.

/ new 1510D owner #5  
Welcome and congrats on the tractor. Like California.....I also have a 186D.....same as 1510 but sold in the USA. You got a great deal......follow above instructions....make sure you clean that screen mentioned. Hoye is great for parts....good folks to deal with. Best of luck!:thumbsup:

/ new 1510D owner
Well I just ordered like $800 worth of stuff from hoyetractor including a repair manual. A couple new axle seals front and rear all new 3pt hitch pieces new steering shafts both and wow they're expensive and a couple other misc things. Hopefully they ship quickly. I'm ready to tear into some stuff around here. Anyone have any tips on replacing the left rear axle seal>

/ new 1510D owner #8  
Hoyes parts drawings on the rear axle don't look quite complete. Sure don't know it but thinking you will have to remove the pto unit in order to access the retainer on the final drive gear. A few pictures in this old thread that might help you. TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum Far as I know MJPeterson is still looming. Maybe he will show up with some real advise. :thumbsup:

/ new 1510D owner
Yes. From what all I've read the PTO assembly will have to come out. It'll be a job but I hope she'll be running top notch when I get through. I ordered the repair manual that they have listed also. I was disappointed that the 1510 was $20 more.

/ new 1510D owner
image.jpgimage.jpg
Here is one of my bumper I made the other day. The hood looks funny because it's up sitting on the dash that has been removed to get the steering box out. image.jpg