New 5545 Trouble

/ New 5545 Trouble #1  

tj200

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1250, Mahindra 4550
Hi Guys,

I was talked into a Mahindra 5545 4wd w/loader from a local dealer. I have done a little bit of research but I wish Mahindra had more information on their website. I have a small garlic farm in upstate NY.

I have the following attachments:
5' brush hog
66" hd box blade
6' landscape rake
6' rear blade
transplanter
5' tiller
moldboard plow
6' discs
6' field cultivator
subsoiler
middle buster

would like to run:
8' discs
small round baler around 4x4

I talked to the dealer over the phone and worked out the deal to trade in my Kubota L2501 HST which was too small for the new farm venture. They didnt have that model available to test drive but I was assured that it would fit my needs, I would just have to run some of my attachments to one side. Upon delivery of the tractor, they basically brought it to my farm, had me sign the contract and they loaded up my Kubota. Tractor was delivered with 3.1 hours. Things appeared to be great until I got the tractor into the field. The tractor wouldnt engage 4wd. I would pull up on the lever and it would partially engage and you would hear the 4wd slip out when moving under load and grind. I would lift the front tires with the loader and move the tractor in reverse to confirm this issue. The tractor was stuck between 2wd and 4wd in mud out in the field. I contacted the dealer and the mechanic said that he performed the inspection before delivery and it was working and he eventually came out a week and a half later. I was not at the farm when they showed up and the mechanic called me up stating that I wasnt engaging it properly. I went to the tractor when I got home to find the adjustment was warn significantly and the paint was bare on the top and bottom of the adjustment by 1/2" on either side. I took a picture to save for future reference and I am slightly worried about the long term damage that was done. I hooked up to my field cultivator and the tires were well beyond 6' and I noticed that in 2wd the 4x4 light stayed on. I called up the dealer and the mechanic said that the tires can be turned in and the light on was probably just a sensor. He said that they can come out when they are in the area and it would be a 20 minute job. The following day I got a call from Kubota credit stating that my Kubota was never paid off and they were threatening to ding my perfect credit with a mark. I called up the owner of the dealership asking what the scoop was. He said that he hasnt seen this before and will look into it. A few days go by and Kubota contacted me again. Frustrated with the situation and worried about my credit I told them let me call Mahindra and find out and if I dont hear anything I will have you just process my payment. I called up Mahindra Finance and they havent received the paperwork from the dealer yet to process the payment. I called up the dealer asking for him to send in the contract to Mahindra Finance. Planting season is in 7 weeks and I noticed that the tractor was pretty fast in 1st gear low. I was told that all I needed to do was idle down to run the planter. This is not the case at all, the tractor is about 3x too fast even at idle in first gear low range. I hook up to my bush hog last week and while hitting a hill mowing the field with just hay at 2' tall the tractor almost stalls when it was in the yellow at 540 rpm. Try the process again and the tractor has excessive smoke and doesnt seem to have power. Extremely frustrated at this point because I am paying for a tractor that I dont own, I asked the dealer to return my Kubota and take this 5545 back with only 12 hours on it with issues and the tractor was misrepresented. He said that the Kubota was his and because I have signed a contract and it was my fault I didnt have a spare tractor. I have contacted the better business bureau with no updates yet. I have contacted Mahindra USA and spoke with customer service many times with no success. Eventually I was able to get through to Mahindra USA customer service and they suggested that I go and see another dealer because it was up to the dealer to make it right. They dont deal with the customer directly with tractor issues. I called up the next dealer away and he said that he exchanges inventory with the dealer that sold me my tractor and it would be stepping on his toes. The salesman suggested that I come to their dealership and talk to the owner about my issues in person. So I took a day off of work and drive over an hour away to the next dealership and he took me to his office out back probably because he didnt want customers hearing this conversation. He seemed to be under agreement completely. He said that he will call the owner of the selling dealership on my behalf and give me a call back by 2pm. It has been days with no response and they will not talk to me anymore. I have emailed the selling dealer and told him everything to get it documented in writing and he didnt respond. A few days went by and I forwarded it to him again asking to make it right. He sent me an email that it was going to take a hit with depreciation and a 2555 would better suit my needs but cost a few grand more that I would have to pay out of pocket. I went to Kubota, John Deere, and New Holland and they said I could trade it in at a $8000 depreciation because "nobody wants a Mahindra." When I traded my L2501 in, I have paid so much of a down payment when I purchased it, that I had a positive equity on the trade. I financed the 5545 through Mahindra Finance and I have called them up to keep them in the loop with the issues that I have been having and they told me "if you purchased a new truck and had issues with it, would you call your bank." I told them that I want it on record because I am not going to make a payment on this piece of junk. They said that after 15 days they will send it to collections and either way it will be my problem.

Currently I have a tractor sitting in the field I cannot use with 12 hours on it. I get it that I am a small part time farmer and he has bigger customers, but Mahindra keeps saying that they have the worlds #1 selling tractor with 97% customer satisfaction and 98% customer loyalty.... What is the scoop with Mahindra? Are they really not standing behind their product? I have a notebook that is about 31 pages now of timestamps, who I talked to and what we talked about. I will be contacting a lawyer soon but I want everyone to know, make sure you talk to people equivalent of your size that have purchased from the dealer you are looking to. It appears that Mahindra USA, Mahindra Corporate, and Mahindra Finance does not care and leaves it in the hands of the dealer. I would not wish any of this upon anyone. I have originally posted my issue a month ago but it was deleted by a mod by calling out the dealers name. I have made every attempt to leave the dealers name out of this. Mahindra if you are reading this, brace yourselves. Youtube videos of the tractor with issues are coming along with detailed descriptions of my problems posted repeatedly on your Facebook and legal action will be coming. Hopefully my horrible experience will better help another small farmer from dealing with this in the future.

/ New 5545 Trouble #2  
I've got a 3550 and have had problems since day one, taking it back in today for problems since day one. This is at least 15th time back to dealer. Mahrindra may be #1 in sales but it only because you have to buy 4 to keep one running. there customer service is a joke even to there dealers/ franchise owners. I will be posting update on my thread here shortly. I am a very well known dealer in the power sports industry and have one of the largest racing circuits in east coast. I know ten of thousands of people and am trying to not publish bad things but I'm at my turning point. Its a law the dealer only has a week to send in your payoff which he hasn't looking from your comments. I would advise you to go to the state police and file and they will show up at his dealership.

/ New 5545 Trouble #3  
You have a 7000 lb tractor (with loader) with 43 HP that is too wide for your implements. It takes HP to pull that tractor up a hill and to run the mower at the same time. Combine that relatively low amount of usable HP with the fact that your implements are narrow and you have issues even if the tractor were performing flawlessly. Your Kubota on the other hand was light and that is a good thing when mowing. It allows the HP to be used for mowing and not just for hauling around iron. On the other hand when you want to lift a bunch or drag a ripper or plow through the ground, weight is your friend. I think you bought the wrong tractor. Honestly you might be happier with a 1538/2538 or 2540 with the tasks you have. A 2555 is the largest HP "compact" Mahindra makes but you are getting too wide for your implements.

Other dealers could help with fixing any issues, but not with getting your Kubota back or exchanging tractors. Your dealer has your Kubota and your money and he is really the only one that can solve this.

/ New 5545 Trouble #4  
I am grateful that my starting issue was resolved with my Max28.

I thank the dealer Knoxland Equipment, Warner NH, (Note, I did not purchase there) and Brenda at Mahindra Corp. in Texas for making this happen, as I suspect Mahindra Corporate ethos and policy may have left me stuck.

/ New 5545 Trouble #5  
This is not a bash on any brand, or sunshine pumping for any other, but more a "thanks" for sharing.

I have operated tractors on and off for many years, but until last year had not been in a tractor shopping situation. While kicking tires I visited lots of dealers of varying colors, and all talked about how their brand was better than the next. After a while it all became noise and I grew frustrated. I had a couple of friends with tractors and they were helpful on the advantages of their brand, but most had only knowledge of that specific brand, and were not a lot of help for comparison. One friend is very JD loyal and has 3 and loves them. One had a New Holland and couldn't be happier. And another was happy with his Kubota. Again, all good info, but not for comparing one against the other.

In addition to those above, I also considered MF, Kioti, and Mahindra. Again, not knowing anyone who could give me good comparison info on them, I started looking at Forums like this to determine satisfaction, especially with dealer/mfg responses to warranty issues. Again, not trying to slam any brand, but I read enough about Mahindra customer service to make me nervous. I know - the posters who are posting are usually having problems that are not being addressed, and we don't hear a lot about the hundreds who are completely satisfied with their services, but still there just seemed to be more posts about Mahindra services than any others. The second most seemed related to a very specific Kubota with Tier 4 issues, and in that case it wasn't so much dealer support, but more that the issues were new and no one had any answers.

Ultimately for me, it came down to 3 that I felt fit my needs, and my final choice was based on the dealer who I felt most comfortable dealing with, and was willing to go the extra mile to win my business.

So, as I said, thanks to those who will take the time and detail their issues, and then follow up when there is resolution (or not). This information is extremely helpful for the novices who are trying to make very expensive decisions. And maybe, just maybe, there are representatives of the mfgs who will take note and try to assist where possible. It is in their best interest to have happy customers singing their praises, instead of unhappy customers frustrated with no resolution, lost revenue, or worse.

/ New 5545 Trouble #6  
I hope you can get this resolved. I had a bad experience with my 5570 I bought in April (EGR valve)Just now got it running properly. I complained enough (called corporate office everyday) till they finally sent a dealer from out of state to work on it. They were terrific and got it running quick, to their shop and back in less than 5 days. I wish the corporate office in Houston would hold more of these dealerships accoutable. The bad ones are ruining mahindras reputation.it just seemed like no one cared.This is the second mahindra I have owned, but after experiencing less than stellar customer support I'm not so sure I will buy another one.

/ New 5545 Trouble #7  
I have an idea

Start a thread of positive experiences at the dealer.

Hopefully a lot of people will post.

If your local dealer is conspicuously absent after a good number of posts, maybe question how they treat their customers?

/ New 5545 Trouble #8  
I hope you can get this resolved. I had a bad experience with my 5570 I bought in April (EGR valve)Just now got it running properly. I complained enough (called corporate office everyday) till they finally sent a dealer from out of state to work on it. They were terrific and got it running quick, to their shop and back in less than 5 days. I wish the corporate office in Houston would hold more of these dealerships accoutable. The bad ones are ruining mahindras reputation.it just seemed like no one cared.This is the second mahindra I have owned, but after experiencing less than stellar customer support I'm not so sure I will buy another one.

If your dealer was focused on customer satisfaction this delay would have never happened. As you see, they got the tractor in the hands of a good dealer and you got a quick resolution. So I will agree with you, MUSA must hold dealerships accountable. The initial sale is only part of the equation. You are now not so sure you would buy again, but had they fixed you fast you would probably still be a loyal Mahindra tractor owner. It's entirely understandable. We need to identify (not on this forum) the weak dealers and get them up to speed on service or suggest they carry another brand.

/ New 5545 Trouble #9  
:thumbsup:
If your dealer was focused on customer satisfaction this delay would have never happened. As you see, they got the tractor in the hands of a good dealer and you got a quick resolution. So I will agree with you, MUSA must hold dealerships accountable. The initial sale is only part of the equation. You are now not so sure you would buy again, but had they fixed you fast you would probably still be a loyal Mahindra tractor owner. It's entirely understandable. We need to identify (not on this forum) the weak dealers and get them up to speed on service or suggest they carry another brand.

/ New 5545 Trouble #10  
This is a disturbing thread that looks like it's headed to an attorney. Does NY state have a tractor lemon law?