New Barn/Shop Build

/ New Barn/Shop Build
Still trying to figure out insulation. Just got a quote in for 2" of closed cell spray foam and it was almost 16K, and fiverglass roll insulation is about 5K. Has anyone put 3/4" Rmax rigid foam board with the metal panels screwed directly down onto the foam board? That would seem to help a lot with thermal bridging and be easier to handle than the fiberglass.

/ New Barn/Shop Build #32  
Mickey, I've never heard of doing that. Not sure why though. Sounds feasible.

Closed cell foam is around R6 per inch. So you'll have R12. But the beneficial gain is no air transfer thru the walls.

I certainly wouldn't pay 3 times more though. Especially in your location.

/ New Barn/Shop Build #33  
Still trying to figure out insulation. Just got a quote in for 2" of closed cell spray foam and it was almost 16K, and fiverglass roll insulation is about 5K. Has anyone put 3/4" Rmax rigid foam board with the metal panels screwed directly down onto the foam board? That would seem to help a lot with thermal bridging and be easier to handle than the fiberglass.

On the walls, air flow is more important the R value. Kind of like wearing a super heavy wool sweater on a cold, windy day. The wool is great if there is no wind, but if the air gets through the wool, it's worthless. Same thing with walls. You want to stop the air first. That's the most important. Doing it with foam is a super expensive way to stop the air. House wrap is OK, but really hard to get it all air tight. Zip System is your best investment if you are building stick framing.

I would never foam walls, it's just such a huge expense that doesn't really achieve anything over a well sealed wall with fiberglass.

And don't forget, a good window is going to be less then R3, so why have a wall that's R20 or more when there are so many areas that are just R3?

/ New Barn/Shop Build
We got more done last Saturday (it was misting and windy on Sunday so I did other chores) - used the scissor lift to raise the main trusses. We bolted them together on the ground and then used the tractor to put them on the lift and then up, up, and away. It went a lot smoother than I had hoped. Spent the afternoon putting up roof purlins and braces and only have seven to go. Still have to square a few places up, but overall it is pretty good. I hope to start hanging sheet metal next Sunday.

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

/ New Barn/Shop Build #35  
We did a 30x60 wood frame pole barn about 12 years ago. 20x13.25 2" foam filled overhead door. Used 1" closed cell foam insulation, walls & ceiling. I love it. We did several things, I read is the wrong way to do it, but if I had to do it over would do the same. No windows, No vents. No mice, very few bugs. Do have some very small spiders. Don't have to worry about freezing. Went through one spell, for 3 days, highs of 32 or below, lows 12/13. Did not freeze inside building, but was close. Almost stays dustless if keep doors closed. Did have to overcome woodpeckers breaking in by pecking out the insulation between roof ribs & sidewall panels. It also helps level out humidity.