"New" BCS 850

/ "New" BCS 850 #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Finally did it. Found a 850 with attachments, and got to it before someone else. Been looking to upgrade from my 725, even though I really like it. So, found a "slightly" used 850 with a 45' sicklebar mower, 32" brush cutter, 38" finish mower, 30" tiller, and the Bio 100 chipper. Tractor, sickle bar, tiller and brush cutter came from one place, and are really just slightly used, as in not even what I would consider normal. Tractor has the 14 hp B&S V14, electric/recoil. The finish mower and Bio 100 came from a 725, so I have to get the adapters to convert. Had a chance to use the tiller today, I think I am in love. Having the diff and turning brakes makes a lot of difference for this old man. Get to try the brush cutter tomorrow on some of the rough stuff, see if I can keep it on a hill. Probably spent too much, drove too far, but I really like it. Now to sell the 725 :) Pictures later

/ "New" BCS 850 #2  
Congrats on the new purchase. Still looking for a sickle mower attachment myself. Used BCS machines don't seem to show up too often down south. Good for you!

/ "New" BCS 850 #3  
Great to hear you got a machine now. If it were me, I'd keep the 725 for backup...

Hip, Don't worry, there's a shortage of ANY used Grillo or BCS equipment. I swear a third my calls are from people looking for used. They ask me to keep their numbers, but I tell them to keep trying back 'cause I'm not gonna start a calling list. I just took in a 605 in trade from a couple on Friday. It'll sell fast. Without calling anyone.

/ "New" BCS 850 #4  
Congratulations, sounds like a good score. There is very little used stuff around me as well. If there is, its very old mainline or a smaller model like the 715. I gave up after 5 years and ordered a grillo g107d.

/ "New" BCS 850 #5  
Great to hear you got a machine now. If it were me, I'd keep the 725 for backup...

I got to spend a wonderful evening catching up with cmyoung2 yesterday, and checking out all his new BCS gear. I really think that the 850 is by far the best tractor yet made by BCS. I'm sure that since it (and the 735, briefly) was what I learned on, I have a bias. But the layout of the controls, the simplicity and straightforwardness of how the brakes and shuttle shift work, the easy to reach differential lock, the transport gear - all of these combine to make a really fine and ergonomic machine.

We also came to the firm conclusion that since his wife likes tight row spacings and a neat-looking garden, he very much needs to keep the 725 and the smaller tiller for row-middle cultivation! So, that's one fewer used BCS machine on the market here in the south...

-otus

/ "New" BCS 850 #6  
otus,
I agree with you. The 850 is a great machine. I have an 830 which is an 850 but with less power and 4x10 wheels instead of the 5x10 wheels on the 850. I am currently modifying my 830 from 8 hp Kohler to 13 hp Honda and to 5x12 wheels. Its 8hp Kohler has been installed on my 737 which is soon to be put on the local Craigslist. The Kohler is a great engine and, like Bill in Wisconsin has said, seems to be stronger than its 8 hp rating.
Bill in NC

/ "New" BCS 850
OK, As promised, here are some pic. BCS 850 with B&S vanguard v-14, 30 " tiller, 32" bush hog, 38" finish mower, 45" sickle bar mower, Bio 100 chipper, shredder, all new to me. Will modify a 24" snow blower, 48" dozer blade, Home Made, and the barrow to fit the 850. Have already put time in with the tiller and the bush hog, love it. Much easier to operate than the 725. Have now added duals to the 850, makes hillside mowing much more stable, and does not seem to affect the maneuvering very much. I'm a happy camper. And it was very nice catching up with an old friend last night. --- can't get the photos to attach- try tomorrow

/ "New" BCS 850 #8  
I often tell people how a large machine with diff lock can be easier to operate than the small machine. They typically look at me like I've grown a second head. My wife's aunt came over last week and bought a G85d after trying it out versus a G85. She's only going to till with it and an 18" tiller, but she's in her 70's and that unlocked differential sure got her excited.

I have a set of rusty ugly 5-10s here that need tubes. They aren't great, but they'd make decent sometimes duals. $50 plus shipping Let me know if you'd want them
6ix Oh Ei8ght Se7en thre3 2wo 5ive Oh 5ive thre3

/ "New" BCS 850 #9  
CMYoung, is this your 725? It is a good looking machine. I've been staring at the sickle bar mower picture and am trying to understand the rear parallel bar. If this is your equipment, how about helping this curious old man understand what the second bar does. It certainly looks like a well built sickle bar mower and appears more sturdy than my BCS sickle bar mower. I am guessing it also has a better weight distribution because of the additional mass of the second bar. Inquiring minds want to know. . . . . . .

BCS tiller/mower

Bill in NC

/ "New" BCS 850
Bill,
Yes this is my old 725. The second bar you see on the mower is just for weight. I was having trouble keeping the mower on the ground going up hill, the weight helped. I think the bar is just another mower bar from a scrapped unit.