New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I would like to have a new 3/4 heavy duty diesel pickup. My 2011 GMC 2500HD has given me excellent service. I have maintained it well, its running fine now, but since it has over 250k miles I am thinking of getting a new one. Now 13 years old, I feel I need to re-start the clock on a new truck for the next 13 years.

Prices are stupid, of course. That is what it is. My bigger concern is the overall changing of the vehicle landscape with electric, hybrids, etc. As more of these emerge into the market, commanding larger market share, I feel that getting a diesel powered vehicle might become more difficult or expensive in the future. I have seen where electric vehicles are retracting somewhat, but hybrids are taking up the slack. Neither of those fit my mission.

I cross Donner Summit (over 7,000 ft elevation) weekly. Sometimes towing 8,000-10,000 pounds behind me. So a 3/4 ton truck, diesel engine, heavy duty brakes, and exhaust brake fits that need nicely.

What are your thoughts on the merits of buying now, or keep pressing on with my existing truck?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #2  
Prices are stupid, but your trade in value is stupid too. And by stupid i mean stupid high. All the dealers are chomping at the bit for vehicles to sell second hand.

The whole ev/hybrid thing is not aimed at your truck. It's aimed at commuter vehicles. I don't see 3/4 ton trucks being replaced even remotely soon. Unless you live in CA, they've absolutely taken leave of their senses. Watch out for diesels that are CA compliant, their emissions stuff is a bit on the silly side.

If I were buying, I would wait until after the election. Not trying to make it political, but *****'s war on gas/diesel isn't helping. If ***** wins, buy right away. If ***** wins, maybe wait a bit to see if he eases up EPA regulations.

These are things that I would do if I made my living with the truck. I don't anymore, which is why I have my 2004 ford 6.0 which works most of the time, but sometimes needs repair which I get to eventually.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #3  
Sometime it is a good idea to get rid of them while they are still worth something and working fine. Plus the new diesels are leaps and bounds stronger and more refined than ones of 10 years ago.

Good luck on your search!

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #4  
Most likely more emissions on new ones than on your 2011.
I have a 2007 Ram 2500 with 130 K . I would like a new one but May buy used one deleted

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #5  
I would like to have a new 3/4 heavy duty diesel pickup. My 2011 GMC 2500HD has given me excellent service. I have maintained it well, its running fine now, but since it has over 250k miles I am thinking of getting a new one. Now 13 years old, I feel I need to re-start the clock on a new truck for the next 13 years.

Prices are stupid, of course. That is what it is. My bigger concern is the overall changing of the vehicle landscape with electric, hybrids, etc. As more of these emerge into the market, commanding larger market share, I feel that getting a diesel powered vehicle might become more difficult or expensive in the future. I have seen where electric vehicles are retracting somewhat, but hybrids are taking up the slack. Neither of those fit my mission.

I cross Donner Summit (over 7,000 ft elevation) weekly. Sometimes towing 8,000-10,000 pounds behind me. So a 3/4 ton truck, diesel engine, heavy duty brakes, and exhaust brake fits that need nicely.

What are your thoughts on the merits of buying now, or keep pressing on with my existing truck?
Is this purely for personal use? Or business use? Personally, I think I’d feel more comfortable buying new (with high interest rates) for a business because of the tax advantages.
Either way, I don’t see prices coming down, but if you are financing, maybe interest rates coming down in a year+ to the point where borrowing money could become viable once again.
If you can comfortably (I say that tongue in cheek) buy a new diesel truck for personal use, good for you. I’d say diesel trucks have reached their apex as they will be getting replaced with EV’s soon. Can’t see much more $ in R&D being spent on them.

Try all 3 brands and see which brand puts the biggest smile on your face!

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #6  
I don't know Hay Dude. All these "proposed" internal combustion bans the gov dreams of, are only for light duty vehicles.

So what I see coming is every SANE soccer mom will soon be driving a 350/3500 truck because no one I know personally wants anything to do with an electric automobile.
And the manufacturers will be licking their lips because they are about to sell a crap load of new $100,000 HD trucks.

Look at Ford and GM for example. Already news out of an upcoming Powerstroke with 1200 foot/pound torque and GM speaking of an 8.3 lite Duramax.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #8  
Personal use. Considering the interest rates now, I would pay cash.
If ya got it, more power to you. (y)
What prices are you seeing? $100,000??

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #9  
How often are you towing?

At work all the service trucks they are buying are 2500hd gas (I think 6.6l) and f550 7.3L gas crane trucks.

With the high buy in price of a diesel, 1$ more a gallon, and insane maintenance cost of the emission systems it isn’t worth it any more.

I am impressed with both the 6.6 and 7.3

The f550 with crane isn’t light itself but will pull a 10k diamond C deck over with no issues.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #10  
No way I buy a new truck. I put up a thread a while back regarding that same question. So I bought a disposable vehicle to keep miles off my truck so I never have to sell it. The issue with new trucks is that they are ridiculously complicated and maintenance and replacement parts are outrageously expensive.

I do all my own work. Pretty much impossible on newer vehicles. Manufacturers believe we need 1200Ft/lbs and 800hp in a truck. But it is surgery to change the oil or trans fluid or simple required maintenance. I would love a new truck that has 700ft/lbs and was easy to maintain.