New guy from the wet side of Washington

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington #31  
Welcome from another wet sider, grew up in Bellingham, now live at the other end of Puget Sound. Lived near Sedro Woolley for a while after college in the late 70's. Still get up to that part of the state occasionally to visit my sister, her family farm is the reason LaConner can't grow to the east.
Hooray for your sister and her family. Really, some places shouldn't grow too much. LaConner, if it gets too big, will just plain ruin it and the surrounding area. Especially at the cost of losing farmland. This opinion from a fellow wet sider living on South Whidbey and welcoming a new wet sider.
Eric

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington
Happy Thanksgiving from the dry side. Five months ago I was living in the Skagit valley about a mile west of Lyman. Beautiful country and a beautiful valley.

It really is. It's definitely wet, but it's also worth it. I'm glad we live where we do.

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington #33  
Yep, saw there things were heading so we moved to our current home. We probably should have looked further out and moved even further, but we didn't. Love where we live though.

I was born out at the whidbey naval hospital, long time since I've been back.

We are just fine when it comes to the flooding, our house is about 300' above the skagit river. Our only problem was our only road out was flooded, so we couldn't go anywhere...

You keep safe as well. I saw the whole islands power got knocked out according to PSE.
Was here with the Navy '73 - 76 and '79-82. Then retired here in 2015. We're down south in Freeland - avoid going up to Oak Harbor as much as possible - it's becoming too much like Seattle.

Yeah - we ran on the generator for 2 days last week.

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington #34  
Was here with the Navy '73 - 76 and '79-82. Then retired here in 2015. We're down south in Freeland - avoid going up to Oak Harbor as much as possible - it's becoming too much like Seattle.

My wife and I love living on the south end. We sometimes can't believe we are so lucky to live here. We also avoid Oak Harbor for the same reasons.
Eric

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington

My wife and I love living on the south end. We sometimes can't believe we are so lucky to live here. We also avoid Oak Harbor for the same reasons.
Eric

Pretty sure everywhere is becoming more and more like Seattle unless you are way out in the sticks. It definitely sucks

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington #36  
Maybe the difference between county and city.

South Sound is my only experience with semi rural county and I have a new appreciation in that I like the lack of city services and appreciate my neighbors who are friendly but far enough away to create distance.

Western WA is that rare combination water and mountains that make it spectacular...

/ New guy from the wet side of Washington #37  
Hooray for your sister and her family. Really, some places shouldn't grow too much. LaConner, if it gets too big, will just plain ruin it and the surrounding area. Especially at the cost of losing farmland. This opinion from a fellow wet sider living on South Whidbey and welcoming a new wet sider.
Eric
I don't think that Laconner really has any where to grow to, my sisters family owns everything to the east, the south is the mouth of the Skagit river, the Swinomish reservation to the west. Maybe north, but that's also farmland don't know how set those owners are about keeping it though.
There are some conservation programs out there that pay farmers for the development rights that lock the land into farm use only in perpetuity. It's a win for the land and the farmers, they get paid, and the county can't raise the taxes to "highest and best use" rates. The fact that there is a hotel just across the property line can't skew thier land value.