New hand tools

/ New hand tools #11  
Does anybody run a chainsaw left handed? It's one of the scariest things I've seen, right up there with cutting in shorts and crocs. (Which I saw somebody doing a few days ago.)
Yep, felling trees I've done it. Full wrap FTW.

/ New hand tools #12  
Does anybody run a chainsaw left handed? It's one of the scariest things I've seen, right up there with cutting in shorts and crocs. (Which I saw somebody doing a few days ago.)
Either hand when on a ladder. I keep shopping for a really light weight arborist's saw. Holding a chainsaw at arm's length one handed is hard.

/ New hand tools #14  
I have made thousands of cuts with a chainsaw left hand on trigger, right on handle. Tight spaces, on rocky cliffs....trees aren't on flat ground and spaced 15 feet apart in the mountains. I do wear normal PPE always (kevlar pants, boots, helmet, goggles, ears).

/ New hand tools
Got the tools today during lunch hour: 2 drills, light, circular & reciprocating saws, 2 batteries and 1 charger. Charged the bigger battery already.

These tools have some bells and whistles that the PC tools didn't, e.g. vacuum port for the circular saw to attach a vaccuum to it, extra hand for the ram drill, clips for both drills to attach to your belt. Circular saw blade is 7 1/4 vs. 6 1/2 for the PC. These should be very powerful with the 24v and being brushless.

Came in a box on wheels with a retractable handle. Circular saw just went into the old PC zip bag. Drills and light just sit where we had PC drill and light, just outside door from garage to house.

Got a piece plywood that I need to cut in half with the circular saw tomorrow. Absolutely too drippy this afternoon to do it.

Am moving my raised beds to a more sunny, convenient location and reducing size: to east end of pool deck at the top of a slope there. Will just reuse some raised bed boards and make a 24 foot long bed 24 inches deep.

/ New hand tools #16  
Have you tried electric? My 10" Makita top-handle saw weighs 7 pounds with the battery.
I just purchased a 14" Makita 36V battery chainsaw. It is a top handle, meaning you can handle it with one hand. It is a very well balanced saw to use with one hand. There is a front handle that your left hand can use. It also has a chain break, just like my Stihl chain saws have. Jon

/ New hand tools
I just purchased a 14" Makita 36V battery chainsaw. It is a top handle, meaning you can handle it with one hand. It is a very well balanced saw to use with one hand. There is a front handle that your left hand can use. It also has a chain break, just like my Stihl chain saws have. Jon
Guess you haven't used enough yet to know oil comsumption. The 36v Stihl that my wife has now gobbles oil. The previous 2 Kobalt 40v ones weren't too bad on oil, and you could very easily see the level via the indicator, not so with the Stihl.

/ New hand tools
Used the circular saw and one drill of the new set today. The saw is sweet. Cuts through plywood like a hot knife through butter.

The stubby drill with the auto install of screw tips is a bit too fast, and you cannot seem to slow it down. Supposed to be able to do this with the trigger, of course. It will require a light touch on the trigger. The other drill is more complex with a standard tip to insert drills, etc. and has 3 settings for screw, drill or hammer. Has 2 speed settings.

/ New hand tools #19  
Guess you haven't used enough yet to know oil comsumption. The 36v Stihl that my wife has now gobbles oil. The previous 2 Kobalt 40v ones weren't too bad on oil, and you could very easily see the level via the indicator, not so with the Stihl.
Isn't oil consumption adjustable on your 36v Stihl? It is on my 10" 18v Makita.

/ New hand tools #20  
No I haven't used it enough to know the consumption. But I know there is an adjustment screw. Also from the factory it seems to spray oil off the tip at a board. I have never adjusted my gas powered Stihl chain saws. Jon