New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks?

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #31  
You can do it.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #32  
Buy unpainted weldable hooks and preheat them in the wife's oven at 350 degrees for about an hour, then quickly locate them and weld...

KC

Last edited:
   / New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #33  
Buy unpainted weldable hooks and preheat them in the wife's oven at 350 degrees for about an hour, then quickly locate them and weld...

KC
Preheat is an excellent suggestion. The bucket too. Use a weed burner. What so many folks don't realize is that wire feed welders will lay down a head that looks great but is in reality barely sticking. So when using low amperage wire feed welders a good preheat can make the difference between a good weld and a bad weld.
Eric

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #34  
The Hobart 140 can do it well. The Q is, can you?
Will these hooks ever hold anything overhead, endangering people?
If you don't have experience welding 'critical' welds......give this time to sink in.
Agreed with the above, preheat provides what the 120V MIG is a little short on.... the heat.
Provide more heat and there's no difference between 110 and 220 (just more effort, eqpt).
But if you HAVE a weed burner..... (also they are $30 at harbor freight).

1) Tack it on (in the middle)
2) Get it good and HOT with a propane weedburner / roofing torch (for a 120V MIG a little out of its element).
3) Stick it in there deep ...... and get a good root weld.
4) Do a nice cover weld that melts down into the root weld.
5) Plan your start and ends for a nice 'wrap' around the ends of the hook.

This is "typing", I'm positive i could show this better than type this.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #35  
... Get it good and HOT with a propane weedburner / roofing torch
As I mentioned in another thread - the burner for a turkey fryer is what I've used a couple of times, when repairing cast iron with nickel rod.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #36  
I don't see why not. I have welded many on with a stick rig set a 125 amps for 7018 1/8 inch rod. First make sure every thing is clean. No paint, no grease no dirt. Just clean bright metal. Practice on some scrap of similar size/thickness first. Point your MIG gun a little more at the heavier/thicker metal, Don't try to move too fast, watch your puddle. You should be fine. Again I highly recommend you practice first as you will have to look at those hooks for a lot of years. And you would much rather point to them with pride than shame.
Agree, but I have another idea. Weld your hooks to a thick piece of flat bar steel the length of your bucket, then drill and bolt the bar and hooks to your bucket top lip. It will reinforce your bucket and if you screw up the welding it will not be on your bucket.

/ New Hobart 140.. can I weld on bucket hooks? #37  
Preheat is an excellent suggestion. The bucket too. Use a weed burner. What so many folks don't realize is that wire feed welders will lay down a head that looks great but is in reality barely sticking. So when using low amperage wire feed welders a good preheat can make the difference between a good weld and a bad weld.
Eric
If the backside of whatever you are glue gunning shows heat discoloration, you have necessary penetration.