New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #1  

sugarloafguy

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA/14LA Loader and Tc24DA/12LA Loader
Hey Guys,

Can someone with the 914A rear discharge tell me if during the initial setup the deck should be pretty much level front to back? Purchased a basically new TC24DA with NIB mower and it has too much forward tilt with the front yokes that lift the deck set flush as the instructions say. I have set the deck up as specified and mows good right out of the box just fine tuning for a smoother cut in the down position. This is the 60" model. I think I will also put Gators on as well if someone happens to have a part number that would be great. Pics to follow.

Brian

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #2  
If I remember correctly, they actually want the deck tilted forward.

Now a question for you, I can't find my original manual for the mower right now. Does it give any advice on stretching the big cushion springs? Bush hogging on Monday and I knocked both of mine off. I now need to reinstall them so I can put the deck back on.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #3  
I have a 914.
My 914 is set up to ride on the guide wheels, all set to the same height.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #4  
The wheels aren't supposed to normally carry weight. The bulk of the weight is supposed to be carried by the 3PH.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #5  
The wheels aren't supposed to normally carry weight. The bulk of the weight is supposed to be carried by the 3PH.

Interesting!
I have been doing it that way for 5 years. And, When I raise the deck it is not always level. Friction in the linkage, lean of the tractor on unleveled ground, and other undetermined causes keep the deck from being proportionately level with the ground. When I get off the tractor, I step on the mmm deck, sometimes one side is higher than the other and some times stepping on the deck causes the high side to shift with the high side changing.

I can not see how it would work on my tractor is the deck wheels are only meant to be anti-scap wheels.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #6  
Interesting!
I have been doing it that way for 5 years. And, When I raise the deck it is not always level. Friction in the linkage, lean of the tractor on unleveled ground, and other undetermined causes keep the deck from being proportionately level with the ground. When I get off the tractor, I step on the mmm deck, sometimes one side is higher than the other and some times stepping on the deck causes the high side to shift with the high side changing.

I can not see how it would work on my tractor is the deck wheels are only meant to be anti-scap wheels.

More thinking abut my 914....If the 3pt is carrying the deck while mowing, how am I going to get the height at a consistent level?
The movement of the lift lever will never be consistent enough for me to get a finish cut that looks anywhere close to good.

I believe I the wheels are referred to as gauge wheels and not anti-scalp wheels.

Unless you have an owners manual, I would have to guess you are not correct in that idea of the the 3pt carrying the weight while mowing.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #7  
That is why you have position control on the 3PH. You set the knob to where you want it and return it to that position each time. I bought my tractor and mower new in 2003 and read the manual at that time. The wheels aren't supposed to carry weight. I had it set wrong for a long time and I kept wearing the bearings out on the wheels because they were carrying weight. They are supposed to be just right at ground level and not actually carrying weight. I've replaced more bearings and wheels because I thought I knew better than what the manual was saying. If you do a search here on the board there are several posts saying the same thing I am.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #8  
You say you bought the tractor new and read the manual.
I bought my tractor used and did not have a manual. So I must believe you are correct.
Do you still have the manual? I would like to be educated on it if it is possible.
I woke up this morning think of another reason I was correct, having to do with the lift lever and the middle half of the lever being labeled as float for mowing. I put the leaver anywhere in that range. My thinking is/was that I was controlling the weight on the gauge wheels.
I believe my TC33DA tractor is also an '03, which I bought in '08.

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #9  
I’ve had one for 13 years set the deck level on the gauge wheels and position your lever in the float position. Blades need to be level to cut and discharge properly on a MMM

/ New Holland 914 MMM/Rear Discharge #10  
I’ve had one for 13 years set the deck level on the gauge wheels and position your lever in the float position. Blades need to be level to cut and discharge properly on a MMM

That is exactly as I do and have done as long as I have owned the tractor.
Of course, I do not have a manual telling me how it was designed to work, and I only have input stating they have a manual but they have not posted a copy of the relevant information.

If the deck is not level, how can there be an even cut? Just saying.