New Holland Fuel in Crankcase

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #1  

Jkags

Tractor
New Holland TC29D
Hi all! I was looking for a bit of help. Being none of the local shops can answer this.

I have a New Holland TC29D. I was using the tractor last summer brush hogging a small field. It started cutting out like it was running out of fuel. Upon looking at the fuel filter housing, I seen it had algae in it. I immediately stopped running the tractor where it was.

I replaced the filter (discovered the fuel shut of doesn’t work.) Checked all fluids like I do before each start up. All in operating ranges. Bled the system out, started the tractor and parked it.

The following week went to use the tractor, to pull the Scag out of a ditch. Pulled dipstick, and oil started blowing out of dipstick tube.

My question is, there a check ball in line somewhere? Or is there an internal leak in the injection pump?

Thank you for your time.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #2  
I dont know this tractor, and maybe you dont Even have one, but if you do, check the manual lift pump to see if the diaphragme is good, if not it would leak fuel into the Oil.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase
I dont know this tractor, and maybe you dont Even have one, but if you do, check the manual lift pump to see if the diaphragme is good, if not it would leak fuel into the Oil.
Unfortunately, this unit is gravity fed. I appreciate your input.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #4  
Hi all! I was looking for a bit of help. Being none of the local shops can answer this.

I have a New Holland TC29D. I was using the tractor last summer brush hogging a small field. It started cutting out like it was running out of fuel. Upon looking at the fuel filter housing, I seen it had algae in it. I immediately stopped running the tractor where it was.

I replaced the filter (discovered the fuel shut of doesn’t work.) Checked all fluids like I do before each start up. All in operating ranges. Bled the system out, started the tractor and parked it.

The following week went to use the tractor, to pull the Scag out of a ditch. Pulled dipstick, and oil started blowing out of dipstick tube.

My question is, there a check ball in line somewhere? Or is there an internal leak in the injection pump?

Thank you for your time.
You said the oil was blowing out of the dipstick tube, I assume the tractor was running? I am assuming it must have been. Is there a clogged crankcase vent? That would be my first guess. The pressure of blowby from a cold engine has to go somewhere, if the crankcase ventilation is clogged, the dipstick tube is the next alternative.

You said the oil was blowing out of the dipstick tube, I assume the tractor was running? I am assuming it must have been. Is there a clogged crankcase vent? That would be my first guess. The pressure of blowby from a cold engine has to go somewhere, if the crankcase ventilation is clogged, the dipstick tube is the next alternative.
I apologize, I should have worded it differently. Tractor was not running. Basically the the internal level of the oil/fuel in the crankcase was so high when I pulled the dipstick out. It came out of the dipstick tube. I drained about 5 gallons of fluids out of the drain plug.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #6  
I apologize, I should have worded it differently. Tractor was not running. Basically the the internal level of the oil/fuel in the crankcase was so high when I pulled the dipstick out. It came out of the dipstick tube. I drained about 5 gallons of fluids out of the drain plug.
The only way I can see fuel getting into the crankcase is through the injector pump. I am assuming it is directly driven by a gear off the front of the engine, Do you have an owners or service manual? If not, try Messicks.com or New Holland.com and enter your model number and it will give you a list of parts diagrams and parts list. This is their list for your injector pump.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #7  
The only way I can see fuel getting into the crankcase is through the injector pump. I am assuming it is directly driven by a gear off the front of the engine,

That's usually the problem when lots of fuel is getting into the crankcase. It is generally that the seal between the engine and the injector pump is leaking fuel into the sump.

There is one other thing it could be. There is always a return line from the injectors back to the fuel tank. It is just a low pressure hose often with a push connectio to a barbed fitting. Maybe it got plugged into the valve cover or somewhere leading to the sump by mistake. That could happen when the OP bled the system.
rScotty

The only way I can see fuel getting into the crankcase is through the injector pump. I am assuming it is directly driven by a gear off the front of the engine, Do you have an owners or service manual? If not, try Messicks.com or New Holland.com and enter your model number and it will give you a list of parts diagrams and parts list. This is their list for your injector pump.
Thank you very much for the input. This helps alot

Pulled the injection pump off. I plan on purchasing a new injection pump. So I put light air pressure to the fuel inlet. To see if there is any internal leaks to the crankcase. No psi comes out. Is that normal? Even while activating the plungers.

/ New Holland Fuel in Crankcase #10  
It isn't unusual to have injector pumps rebuilt. However it is such a highly skilled type of mechanical repair and so exactling that it is almost always done by a professional shop that does that and nothing else. There is one person on TBN that thas surch a shop.

But because the work is so specialized, I've never done it myself, and I don't know any mechanics that have. Worse yet, I have never even tested one. & don't even know the answer to your question.

What about the return line?

Last edited: