New Home Build. Plan Review.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #81  
...oh yeah, then put a radius on that end of the vanity top. You're going to hit that corner when you walk into the bathroom and turn left. Also makes wheelchair access easier.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #82  
When you're getting something out of that linen closet and someone opens the door and whacks you, you may wish it opened the other way, too. ;)

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #83  
Nice floor plan. There are a couple of things that jump out at me that I would change if I was building it for myself. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just what I've encountered over the years doing remodels on clients homes.

The garage doors are 9 feet wide. This is a very common width, and probably the best size for cost of the doors, but I've found them to be a bit tight. Ten foot wide makes a huge difference in both ease of getting into the garage, and in a cost increase. For me, it's worth the added expense. The other thing is how much space you have between the cars when they are in there. While only one car will be opening a door at a time, will you have enough room to open your car door and get into the car without hitting the vehicle next to you? With a car in the first bay, the one closest to the house, will you be able to get through the door into the house without squeezing around the car? One of the must haves for me in any garage is a sink. And while I'm on sinks, be sure to have a water spicket outside the garage for washing cars, or whatever you might need a hose for.

The kitchen has a nice open feel to it with plenty of counter space. The refrigerator appears to be recessed into the garage in your plan, but it's not clear that it actually is set back into the garage under those stairs. I would double check to make sure there is room under the stairs for the fridge.

I never met a french door that didn't leak between them. It will take a few years, but soon or later they will break in and then the seals will break down. They will be super stiff at first, and hard to open and close, which is when they seal fine, but then get easier to open and close, and then allow air to get through them too. Love the look of them, but will never have them in my own house.

Master bathroom and closets are a mess. I bet your wife loves the idea of all that space, as she should, but you are giving up too much to have that itty bitty closet that you have to go through the bathroom to get to. A hallway is always a huge waste of space. Another thing with bathrooms, in a perfect world, you want to see the vanity when you walk through the door. It's like curb appeal and the first thing you should see is the nicest thing in there. That is always the vanity. I would take that entire area out of the plan and redo it. My first thought, and it's a quick thought, is to move the door to the bathroom from the hallway and put it in the bedroom wall. Remove the closet from the bathroom and put it where the linen closet is in the hallway. Then stretch the vanity out farther and incorporate a make up area in the middle. The shower could be made bigger too. Everyone wants lots of light in a shower, but a window is a really bad idea. They are designed to keep the weather out from the outside, not from both the inside and outside. I've remodeled quite a few houses that had windows in the shower/tub area, and 100% of them had wood rot because of water getting into the wall through the window. Add a nice LED can light above the shower and you will have more then enough light in there. I would also get rid of the window in the bathroom. A wall cabinet is much better use of space behind a toilet. But I've never seen a window behind a toilet, so maybe that's why it's so odd to me?

The laundry room is awesome. Well located and big enough to be practical. I would go with a full sized kitchen sink instead of what looks like a small bar sink in the drawing. I would also be sure to have a long hanging rod along the open wall. Probably shelf built up fairly high on the wall, and then a closet type clothes hanging rod below the shelf, or shelves. You really want a place for hanging clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer.

The corridor seems to have a bottle neck, or narrow opening getting into it from the living room. Why?

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #84  
Well, I certainly remember this tread. I remember thinking that the design didn't seem to fit what you were really after. This looks significantly better. Congratulations on finding an architect to work with. I remember that you were getting good advice before and it looks like you're getting it again. If I ever build again, I will certainly look to come to this group.

It's clearly a big place and a lot of the things I'd recommend are just opinions, like why double sink when counter space is much more needed. The flow looks good except for the main bath. Do you believe the storage in the basement will be for items that will go upstairs (seasonal decorations?) and should have a door at the bottom of the stars or will it be holding things that will more likely to be for outside and go through the doors on that floor?

/ New Home Build. Plan Review.
Nice floor plan. There are a couple of things that jump out at me that I would change if I was building it for myself. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just what I've encountered over the years doing remodels on clients homes.

The garage doors are 9 feet wide. This is a very common width, and probably the best size for cost of the doors, but I've found them to be a bit tight. Ten foot wide makes a huge difference in both ease of getting into the garage, and in a cost increase. For me, it's worth the added expense. The other thing is how much space you have between the cars when they are in there. While only one car will be opening a door at a time, will you have enough room to open your car door and get into the car without hitting the vehicle next to you? With a car in the first bay, the one closest to the house, will you be able to get through the door into the house without squeezing around the car? One of the must haves for me in any garage is a sink. And while I'm on sinks, be sure to have a water spicket outside the garage for washing cars, or whatever you might need a hose for.

I'm back and forth on this issue, but will most likely up size the doors and add a bit of width to the garage. The bay closest to the house will either be her 4runner (~16') or the UTV, ZTR, etc. We have almost 17' of depth there so the nose of the car won't quite be even with the entrance door to the house. Good advice on the sink/spigots.

The kitchen has a nice open feel to it with plenty of counter space. The refrigerator appears to be recessed into the garage in your plan, but it's not clear that it actually is set back into the garage under those stairs. I would double check to make sure there is room under the stairs for the fridge.

Just an option noted by her. We could do a counter depth fridge, built in, or even a standard depth and allow it to stick out. If we chose the latter and don't want it sticking out, she noted it could be recessed.

I never met a french door that didn't leak between them. It will take a few years, but soon or later they will break in and then the seals will break down. They will be super stiff at first, and hard to open and close, which is when they seal fine, but then get easier to open and close, and then allow air to get through them too. Love the look of them, but will never have them in my own house.

Yep, I've heard the same thing. My wife absolutely loves them and won't budge. I hate sliding doors (I have one now), and not sure I would like a standard patio door in these locations. However, I do believe you;)

Master bathroom and closets are a mess. I bet your wife loves the idea of all that space, as she should, but you are giving up too much to have that itty bitty closet that you have to go through the bathroom to get to. A hallway is always a huge waste of space. Another thing with bathrooms, in a perfect world, you want to see the vanity when you walk through the door. It's like curb appeal and the first thing you should see is the nicest thing in there. That is always the vanity. I would take that entire area out of the plan and redo it. My first thought, and it's a quick thought, is to move the door to the bathroom from the hallway and put it in the bedroom wall. Remove the closet from the bathroom and put it where the linen closet is in the hallway. Then stretch the vanity out farther and incorporate a make up area in the middle. The shower could be made bigger too. Everyone wants lots of light in a shower, but a window is a really bad idea. They are designed to keep the weather out from the outside, not from both the inside and outside. I've remodeled quite a few houses that had windows in the shower/tub area, and 100% of them had wood rot because of water getting into the wall through the window. Add a nice LED can light above the shower and you will have more then enough light in there. I would also get rid of the window in the bathroom. A wall cabinet is much better use of space behind a toilet. But I've never seen a window behind a toilet, so maybe that's why it's so odd to me?

Removing the window from the shower is an option. I wasn't thrilled with having one, but I like the added light and the balance it provides to the exterior with having it there. I have seen a few gutted bathrooms with the same things you did, but I truly feel like everything in construction, the details count. Done right, with the correct materials, I think we should be okay.

I'm definitely open to some suggestions for moving things around, but it's odd this is the area you found to be the worst. We truly like it, but I see your points. My closet is where it is to allow me to get ready with the minimal amount of disturbance as possible to the main ensuite as I get up much earlier than everyone else. I could see getting rid of the double vanity, though. That's a good idea. Using your suggestion for alteration, unless I misread it, how do I access my master from the rest of the house if we move everything as you suggested?

The laundry room is awesome. Well located and big enough to be practical. I would go with a full sized kitchen sink instead of what looks like a small bar sink in the drawing. I would also be sure to have a long hanging rod along the open wall. Probably shelf built up fairly high on the wall, and then a closet type clothes hanging rod below the shelf, or shelves. You really want a place for hanging clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer.

Thanks, and a full size sink will definitely be in there.

The corridor seems to have a bottle neck, or narrow opening getting into it from the living room. Why?

Not sure why she drew that in as she did, but it won't be there when we build.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #86  
That's a very interesting thought with your closet connected to the bathroom! There have been many times that I've gotten up very early and having to turn on the lights of the bathroom and closet and not disturb the wife is an issue for me. Unconventional, but I like your rationale for going that route! This is where we get into opinions and individual needs. You certainly have a good reason to do something different. Best of luck!

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #87  
this looks really nice and I think with some little tweaks you would be very happy with it......3-10 is not enough space between island and counter especially with the frig traffic there......slide the island towards the dining room and get at least 5 feet there.......I'd get rid of the little cheek wall at the end of the cabinets by the dining outside doors as it's really not doing anything for you and just makes a visual block in the openness of the space......reduce the size of the "post" between the dining and great room to match the other side as it just looks awkward now......get rid of the second sink in the hall bath.....there will never be more then one person at a time in there and the two sinks really reduce the counter space.......adequate counter space is often over looked in baths but really jumps out when there isn't enough.......I am not crazy about the laundry being right against the master bedroom wall......this will be noisy and as much as you might say the machines will never run at night they will.....even putting sound attenuation batts in the wall will not eliminate the sound in the master br.......it may be a convenient location for the clothes but will be a decision you live to regret when you can't get to sleep.......the closet in the bath is a bad choice.....this was popular in the past for the reasons you mentioned but the reality is that bathrooms generate lots of smells be it toilet odors (a polite way of putting it lol) perfumes, bath soap scents, and the biggy....humidity from showers and baths.......clothes being fabric soak all of that right up......so unless you like smelling "nice" lol get your closet out of there......there's a ton of space between the corridor, her cl and the master bath that a redesign could easily be done........it'll never be perfect but at least you have the time to consider things.......Jack

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #88  
I have a couple of comments. I like the open area for the kitchen and great room. That is where most families spend all there time and you will like that area.

No formal living room? Who uses those any way? They just waste space and take furniture that doesn稚 get used. We converted our dining room into a mud room and the formal living room into a dining room.

Overall a good looking house. Enjoy the process and don稚 stress out.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #89  
You could put positive air pressure on the little closet to keep bathroom smells out of there. ;)

Or, you could just flip the door to open into the large closet. That large closet has 40' of wall!!! Take out two-3' doors and it still has 34' of wall!!!!! If half of them are double stack rods, that's 54' of wall!!!!!!!!

Looking at my living room, it's 24' long. I can't imagine having enough clothes to hang up one wall and down the other for 48' of wall, and still have 6' of wall left to make 54' of wall!!!!!!

Did I mention that's a lot of wall? :rolleyes:

/ New Home Build. Plan Review.
You could put positive air pressure on the little closet to keep bathroom smells out of there. ;)

Or, you could just flip the door to open into the large closet. That large closet has 40' of wall!!! Take out two-3' doors and it still has 34' of wall!!!!! If half of them are double stack rods, that's 54' of wall!!!!!!!!

Looking at my living room, it's 24' long. I can't imagine having enough clothes to hang up one wall and down the other for 48' of wall, and still have 6' of wall left to make 54' of wall!!!!!!

Did I mention that's a lot of wall? :rolleyes:

You don't know my wife :)