New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV #21  
My builder used four turbines on mine.

I like the positive ventilation they provide. It's not hot in my attic. It's not damp either.

I'm always a bit concerned about the lifespan of anything with moving parts. Hope they outlast me.

/ New House Build in WV
Didn’t get as much done as I had hoped I would this weekend, but made still made good progress. Interior walls are almost done, just need to install a few more headers, cripples and framing for a few more doors.

Here’s a shot of the foyer from the front door. I got the double LVL installed, this is the only weight bearing section of the interior framing. The space in the middle will be a closet on the foyer side and fire place on the other, with cased openings on both sides.

IMG_7391.jpg

Here’s a few shots of the stairwell half walls. Wife didn’t want it completely walled off, so this is what we decided on. Those 2x12x12 headers were a beast and I was fortunate enough to have my brother in law and father in law to help with them. Stairwell separates the dining room and living room.

IMG_7396.jpg
IMG_7395.jpg
IMG_7392.jpg

I plan to take Tuesday off to move fill into the garage and move dirt out back to prep for porch posts. We will see if that works out.

/ New House Build in WV #23  
Hello,
Here is something that you may not have thought about....most people don't ! You might want to give some thought to putting insulation between the walls of adjoining bedrooms, or walls of the bedroom that adjoin a noisy part of the house. Without insulation, snoring comes through the walls, people talking, general noise from people or TV's, etc. If I was ever to build a new house, that would surely be something that I would do !!!!! Give it some thought....it's a good idea ! Good luck with the build !

MFWD

/ New House Build in WV
Hello,
Here is something that you may not have thought about....most people don't ! You might want to give some thought to putting insulation between the walls of adjoining bedrooms, or walls of the bedroom that adjoin a noisy part of the house. Without insulation, snoring comes through the walls, people talking, general noise from people or TV's, etc. If I was ever to build a new house, that would surely be something that I would do !!!!! Give it some thought....it's a good idea ! Good luck with the build !

MFWD

I’m definitely planning on insulating interior walls. Bathrooms and bedrooms for sure, but probably some others as well.

/ New House Build in WV #25  
Nice progress on the framing. It's looking really good.

/ New House Build in WV #26  
I’m definitely planning on insulating interior walls. Bathrooms and bedrooms for sure, but probably some others as well.

Yes, do that. I didn't. Regret it every day.

/ New House Build in WV #27  

Don't forget the laundry room or mechanical rooms too. Definitely any bedroom wall that faces a common area, or another bedroom. I put as much rockwool in my interior walls as I could afford at the time, but it wasn't 100% coverage and I also regret not doing a better job of it. It was a rushed time during my build, and I was broke! Lol.

In the end, the worst noise transmission in my house is hard contacts (dropped toys, dragging wooden chair legs around, etc) reverberating through the solid concrete slab anyway. Oh well.

/ New House Build in WV #28  
Don't forget the laundry room or mechanical rooms too. Definitely any bedroom wall that faces a common area, or another bedroom. I put as much rockwool in my interior walls as I could afford at the time, but it wasn't 100% coverage and I also regret not doing a better job of it. It was a rushed time during my build, and I was broke! Lol.

In the end, the worst noise transmission in my house is hard contacts (dropped toys, dragging wooden chair legs around, etc) reverberating through the solid concrete slab anyway. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm on a slab as well. Stained/sealed slab. So I'm sure my house would never be a "quiet" house. But it could have been better. Luckily it's just the two of us living in it. Kids would add a LOT of noise.

/ New House Build in WV #29  
Yes, do that. I didn't. Regret it every day.

I should have done some also, but didn't think of it until later. Was in a hurry to get drywall up.

To the OP, keep up the work and the posts, but be safe in your work. Jon

/ New House Build in WV
Yeah, I'm on a slab as well. Stained/sealed slab. So I'm sure my house would never be a "quiet" house. But it could have been better. Luckily it's just the two of us living in it. Kids would add a LOT of noise.

With two kids (7 & 10) in the house, I agree, they make a lot of noise. They will have an area in the basement for a lot of their toys and activities, so I hope that helps as well. In any event, most, of not all interior walls will be insulated.