New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
Trusses look very similar to mine. Mine were 36' + 8' over the porch. Are you setting some posts for support? Or complete floating them. I have 4 posts over 36 feet of porch width. Thanks for the posts. Looking good. Jon

The foyer has a former that is open to the inside, the trusses behind the foyer sit on a beam and that is the only weight betting wall, the rest clear span.

We got the rest of the house trusses set, except the ones behind the foyer. After setting the first one, we found they were built 3” to long and went past the beam, this left no flat portion of the truss on the weight betting beam. Truss company took their own measurements, so this is on them and it’s going to be an awkward conversation when I let them know they have until this Friday to correct the issue. I have to finish the trusses next week so the roof can be sheathed and shingled.

All house trusses are up except the ends, I’ll get those ready for next weekend. Garage should be easy after doing the house. Thank god for good help, I couldn’t have done this part without it, that’s for certain.

IMG_7454.jpgIMG_7453.jpg
IMG_7452.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #42  
Thanks for the update and pics!!!! Great progress!!!

/ New House Build in WV #43  
The foyer has a former that is open to the inside, the trusses behind the foyer sit on a beam and that is the only weight betting wall, the rest clear span.

We got the rest of the house trusses set, except the ones behind the foyer. After setting the first one, we found they were built 3” to long and went past the beam, this left no flat portion of the truss on the weight betting beam. Truss company took their own measurements, so this is on them and it’s going to be an awkward conversation when I let them know they have until this Friday to correct the issue. I have to finish the trusses next week so the roof can be sheathed and shingled.

All house trusses are up except the ends, I’ll get those ready for next weekend. Garage should be easy after doing the house. Thank god for good help, I couldn’t have done this part without it, that’s for certain.

View attachment 668973View attachment 668972
View attachment 668971

Will be interested to hear how the truss company intends to resolve the 3" too long issue.

/ New House Build in WV
Will be interested to hear how the truss company intends to resolve the 3" too long issue.

I agree, they took their own measurements, so it’s definitely on them. I’m waiting on a call back now to see what they plan to do. I have told them what I need them to do to make this right and I don’t plan on backing down. This issue cost me time, and money, so they need to make it right.

Here is a shot of the error. Technically, all of the trusses were too long, but at this beam is the only place it makes a difference.

IMG_7451.jpg

/ New House Build in WV
I agree, they took their own measurements, so it’s definitely on them. I’m waiting on a call back now to see what they plan to do. I have told them what I need them to do to make this right and I don’t plan on backing down. This issue cost me time, and money, so they need to make it right.

Here is a shot of the error. Technically, all of the trusses were too long, but at this beam is the only place it makes a difference.

View attachment 669044

I mistakenly said all trusses were too long, actually the trusses are the correct length overall, they are just long on the inside wall of the cathedral portion. It’s not a problem anywhere except on the short trusses that sit on the beam. The rest are clear span and if it creates a difference on the peak of the vaulted ceiling, it’s not an issue since they are all the same. I suppose the peak my not be 100% centered due to the error but I don’t believe it’s off enough to be noticed.

/ New House Build in WV
No resolution on the truss error, supposed to hear their plan in the morning. Their sense of urgency doesn’t seem to be as great as mine, so I’ll put some pressure on the salesman in the morning.

Got more wind bracing up in the trusses this evening, but that’s about it. Will do the same tomorrow and maybe Thursday. Will sheath the end trusses on Friday and prepare to install them first thin Saturday morning. Hopefully truss install gets complete this weekend.

The contractor I was planning to hire to sheath and shingle may fall through. Their original verbal pricing seems to have nearly doubled now that is about ready. I don’t care much for people who do business that way. I have a line on another option that I hope to get worked out. If not, I’ll bite the bullet and put the sheathing up myself next week. I really hope it does not come to that.

/ New House Build in WV
Been a long few days dealing with the truss issue. Resolution is not what I had hoped. Truss company tried to put the blame on me. Of course, it wasn’t the fault of the guy who came out and took measurements. Basically, they are too busy with current orders to waste their time correcting their mistake on trusses when the check has already cleared. Very disappointing and I’ll certainly not do business with them again. After some unpleasant exchange, they did agree to a refund for those trusses. That’s something I suppose.

I had a contractor look at them this evening and we worked out a fix, so hopefully that happens tomorrow and I can move forward.

I did manage to get a bunch of bracing up in the trusses this week and get one end truss sheet. I’ll sheet the rest tomorrow and hopefully get enough help in the evening to put the house ends up. Then I’ll get the garage trusses up first thing Saturday. Hope to get the 2x6 eves up this weekend and maybe start the dormer. Probably optimistic, but one can hope.

More fill for garage coming tomorrow as well. Possible rain on Sunday so that will determine how much progress happens.

Have another guy coming to look at the roof and give me a price to sheath and shingle, hopefully that goes well, otherwise, I’ll be sheathing it next week myself, and I really don’t want to do that, it will simply take me too long and I have too much other stuff I need to get done. Winter will be here before we know it.

I’ll post pictures Saturday evening of a hopefully completed truss job.

My wife has a standard poodle, and recently had a litter of Aussie Doodles, (75% standard poodle, 25% Australian Sheppard). All are sold, but one that we are keeping, and several of the buyers will be picking pups up Saturday, so wife will likely be consumed and off of house build duty. She has been a big help throughout this process, and I couldn’t do it without her, that’s for sure.

/ New House Build in WV
Got a lot done the last couple days, but not as much as hoped.

I fixed the incorrect trusses myself, they got installed today along with both house ends and several garage trusses. Some of my help wasn’t able to make it, so it was a bit slower with only 3 people, due to a lot of up and down.

It is likely to rain tomorrow, but if there is a break in it, I’ll attempt to get the rest of the garage done. If not, I’ll just have to rent a machine again next weekend.

Here is some after pictures.

IMG_7474.jpgIMG_7475.jpgIMG_7473.jpgIMG_7472.jpgIMG_7471.jpg

Vault ceiling, kitchen looking into living room

IMG_7469.jpg

Living room back into kitchen.

IMG_7470.jpg

Lot of work, but i like the way it’s turning out so far.

/ New House Build in WV #49  
What are you paying for your ZIP Tape? Lowes has started carrying it and they are $28. My local lumber yard has it for $25, but their hours make it hard to get there after work. The other lumber yard is more of a high end supply house, and they are $40 a roll, but they also have cases of it. When my cheap place ran out, I'd pay the $40 a roll when I really needed it, but that was before Lowes had it. Now I mostly buy it from Lowes. It's the best tape ever, and I use it all the time.

/ New House Build in WV #50  
Great looking build thanks for sharing