New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
I noticed the exposed ZIP Siding and my first thought is how rich you have to be to have some of that nowadays. $80 a sheet the last time I looked!!!! I bet you are so happy that you bought your materials before the world went crazy.

You aren’t a kidding! I paid 18.50 for the 9’ sheets and 22.00 for the 10’, if I remember correctly.

I need several 2x4’s to finish a few items on the porches and in the basement and I just hate the thought of what I will pay for them.

/ New House Build in WV
Looking good! My dad had a brake we used for all sorts of trim work, siding, flashing, etc, and it was awesome. I was a whiz on it as a kid. I've spent the past 30+ years wishing I had my own. I rent them from time to time and probably just need to bite the bullet and buy one.

It’s handy that’s for sure. Bending was the easiest part for this job. Measuring and cutting around the posts was difficult.

I got the metal on the front porch completed today, but forgot to get pictures before it got dark. Should finish the back porch tomorrow. The $40 rental fee for the brake was well spent.

/ New House Build in WV #474  
You aren’t a kidding! I paid 18.50 for the 9’ sheets and 22.00 for the 10’, if I remember correctly.

I need several 2x4’s to finish a few items on the porches and in the basement and I just hate the thought of what I will pay for them.
Prices are coming down. 9 foot sheet is now only $65!!! What's really odd is how they have mountains of materials at all the stores, and more is being delivered every day. They have so much sheetrock that they are storing it in the parking lot during the day, and forklifting it into the store at night if it might rain. There are mountains of OSB on the sides of the buildings. It's just crazy!!!

I don't know of any new construction, it's just a rush to finish what's already started before prices go any higher. Some of the builders I know are doubting that they can break even on what they are building.

/ New House Build in WV #475  
I have a friend who has been selling lumber for about 25 years. He says the companies that treat the wood, are buying up most of available lumber right now. He says when they get their coffers full, there might be a further relaxing of prices. We can hope.

/ New House Build in WV #476  
Will be heading up I77 past you tonight.

/ New House Build in WV
Will be heading up I77 past you tonight.

I spent most of the weekend in Fairplane/Ripley working finances for the Mountain State arts and craft fair. I spend a lot of time traveling 77.

I’m about 20 minutes off 77 at either the Haynes Branch or Kenna exits.

/ New House Build in WV #478  
I spent most of the weekend in Fairplane/Ripley working finances for the Mountain State arts and craft fair. I spend a lot of time traveling 77.

I’m about 20 minutes off 77 at either the Haynes Branch or Kenna exits.

It was all a blur. I drove almost 700 miles yesterday.

/ New House Build in WV
Sorry for lack of posts, just been a busy time lately. Last weekend I rented a lift and completed the soffit/facia on the back and siding/soffit facia on the tall side. Lift made it much faster and safer. Had to work around rain showers but got it done.
IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8142.jpg

I also started burying the ditch out back that has the footer drain, gutter drains and conduit for electric to the goat barn. Dressed up a little around the septic system as well.
IMG_8136.jpg

I’ve also been working on porch railings. They are trex select composite railings. We really like how they are tuning out, and they are not too bad to install, hardest part is measuring and installing the center 4x4. I have over 12’ between posts and couldn’t get one piece railing that long in composite, so the center post is required. Probably makes it more sturdy any way. I am almost done, just waiting on the gate to come in so I can finish one end.

IMG_8123.jpg

Pictures don’t show all the progress but I’ll get updated ones soon.

Cutting hay has slowed progress this week, and took the kids fishing this evening. Not feeling as much pressure now so trying to do other things. Our standard poodle had 10 pups as well.

Oh yeah, we have been living in the house for a little over two weeks, and we are really enjoying it. It’s nice to be able to use something that we have put so much time and effort in.

Biggest pieces left are siding on dormer, porch ceilings, master shower and interior trim. Should be done by Christmas….

/ New House Build in WV #480  
Christmas of what year?

Love the deck and railing. Makes me want to replace my crappy looking PT railing. To do that, will be a major deck rebuild as I would want to do new flooring also. How do posts attach to deck?