New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
Christmas of what year?

Love the deck and railing. Makes me want to replace my crappy looking PT railing. To do that, will be a major deck rebuild as I would want to do new flooring also. How do posts attach to deck?

Didn’t mention year on purpose!

The posts are regular 4x4’s with post covers. I cut a hole in the decking, ran 4x4 to the bottom of the joists and added framing between the joists where needed to level them. I initially screwed the posts into the framing with 3” deck screws, then added 3 1/2” structural screws after railing was up and I knew I didn’t have to adjust the posts. They seem very sturdy with very little movement at all.

Rail sections were 8’, actually 91 5/8”, and I cut equal amounts off both ends to fit. Worked out very well.

Railing wasn’t cheap, but it’s the look we wanted and should be fairly low maintenance other than cleaning.

/ New House Build in WV #482  
Thanks for the update, it's always fun seeing pictures of everything coming together!!!

First thing I noticed was how nice your pasture looks. I'm extremely jealous of your field!!!

/ New House Build in WV #483  
Did you put a joist 6” from the end of deck to support the edge piece of trex? Assuming end piece is 5.5” wide, it looks narrower.

/ New House Build in WV
Did you put a joist 6” from the end of deck to support the edge piece of trex?

I did. The 4x4 on the end section is actually notched to go over it and then fastened in through both sides.

/ New House Build in WV
Thanks for the update, it's always fun seeing pictures of everything coming together!!!

First thing I noticed was how nice your pasture looks. I'm extremely jealous of your field!!!

The pasture does look awesome. It’s a work in progress. Winter wheat was planted last fall, and then cut/baled in June. The grass you see is Teff grass. It’s a high protein grass that grows very fast. It was cut Monday and should get 2 more cuttings. Teff is a high yield annual grass. I’ve never seen anything grow this thick and green, especially in 40 days. You couldn’t walk very fast through it and you could see the paths where deer walked through it.

/ New House Build in WV #486  
Never heard of Teff Grass. Does it hold it's protein after it's baled?

/ New House Build in WV
Never heard of Teff Grass. Does it hold it's protein after it's baled?

I believe it does. A friend has done all the research and put the planting plan together so I don’t know all the ends and outs. I just help.
Should get 2 more cuttings with the next one in about 28-30 days. This grass is supposed to be very drought resistant so should grow well even if we don’t get much rain. We will see.

Hay went up today and was all sold to a person with multiple horses. I kept about 20 bales for our goats.

/ New House Build in WV #488  
Is deck joists 12” or 16” oc?

/ New House Build in WV
Is deck joists 12” or 16” oc?

Mine are 16” on center. It works fine but, if your at eye level with the decking, you can see a small amount of sag in a few places. If starting over, I’d go 12”. 12” was recommended to me by other posters but I was too far along to change it, and just didn’t have time to redo as I was on a tight timeline with the roofers coming.

/ New House Build in WV #490  
I asked because mine is 16”, and changing to 12” would be more work than I want to put into it.
I was at Lowe’s tonight looking at trex ( they carry toasted sand color)$40 each, $90 for 6ft rail kit, $35 and $41 price on post sleeves, the boxes look identical.
I would like to put a roof over the deck, it was in my original approved plans but I never built the roof. My deck cantilevers a couple feet past the bottom beam, the issue is where and how to support the roof posts.
IMG_7107.JPG

Wonder if I could fill between 16” joists with 2x6s to help support? Thinking out loud.