New House

/ New House #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I am in the process of building a new house. Foundation is currently in and rough plumbing will be going in hopefully this weekend. I have a question reference plumbing fixtures. Are the fixtures you see at the big box stores the same as what you get from a plumbing supplier? I am looking at American Standard and see that the big box stores carry the same series I have been looking at and they are cheaper. Are they made differently or are they the same exact thing? Of course I have heard from some plumbers that the fixtures at the plumbing store are a better grade than what is sold at a box store. Does anyone know? Thanks.

/ New House #2  
I wont say 100% that they are the same fixtures, but as a general contractor, I can buy at all the stores and for basic fixtures, you can't beat teh box stores for price. The only time I buy from the plumbing stores is when I need something very unusual. They have everything, and it's all in stock. I can call ahead and have it waiting for me, or I can have a cup of coffee, read the paper and have them get everything I need. It costs more to shop there, but it's faster and sometimes, time is what costs my clients more then product.

Eddie

/ New House #3  
I have found there are some differences in some of the fixtures. The box store fixtures are bubble packaged so the inexperienced can see them, while the plumbing stores are usually in a cardboard box. Other than that they're pretty much the same. Some come with different directions. The box stores also seem to carry a really cheap line that the plumbing stores might not carry.

I usually go to the plumbing stores because when the [you know what] hits the fan, you get better service and more experienced personel to help you. I also get builder pricing, so I end up getting them for about the same cost as the box stores.

Either way works. I'd probably go where it's more convenient in terms of your length of drive and who's open on what day and when your wife can come along, etc.

/ New House #4  
Builder reminds me of another important factor. When I'm working for a client, I never, ever, pick out fixtures. Some people have the most unusual taste in what they think looks good, so I always smile and compiment them on their choices. The plumbing supply stores around here don't have what you might consider a showroom or display area, so you have to know what you want when you go there. They will bring out a few to chose from, or let me wonder around there shelves looking at stuff, but if I'm not sure of what I want, then the box stores are much better for that too.

The only time I buy fixtures is when I'm flipping a house or building a spec home. Then it's something generic that will apeal to the most number of people to increase my odds of selling the house at the price I'm asking.

Eddie

/ New House #5  
I bought a new fausit for the kitchen sink at a plumbing supply. After it was installed I found the same fausit and model number at a hardware store for half the price........Larry