New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #21  
You may be right about OSHA pushing too hard, but the first time I get fined for being in a confined space, my customers are going to pay a lot more for my guys to get in that confined space.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #22  
I like the idea of your cycle stop valve, but I'm still old fashioned enough that I like large pressure tanks.
I also like pits next to wells if the ground conditions can accommodate it and it sounds like the OP's does very well.
The OSHA definition of confined spaces that many people are concerned with is a gross over regulated and pushed issue.
A normal water well with no entrained methane or H2S will not have issues with a pit type tank and control setup.
I actually like your drawing in the previous post (#19) but with all the components located in a pit next to the well and with a much larger pressure tank.
One advantage of a pit or pump house next to the well is the ease of adding yard or barn hydrants in the future. As well as having the ability to have power at that location. Nothing like have 30 amps of 240 volt power to use for the well and power outlets.
I am also about as old fashioned as you can get. 50+ years ago I was installing the largest galvanized tanks I could get on my truck and just testing those new fangled captive air tanks (bladder/diaphragm tanks). But even though they were suppose to be physically much smaller, I would use two of them because it just didn't seem right. 40+ years ago I quit installing galvanized tanks and switched primarily to a single large diaphragm tank. However, nothing really solved the cycling problem. The old galvanized tanks had problems maintaining a proper air charge. The diaphragms in the new fangled tanks would break from going up and down with each pump cycle. Adding more or larger tanks was really the only option, and that just slightly postponed pump system failures.

If you had a lightly used system that didn't cycle much you thought I was a great pump man. But if you had a 50HP on a golf course or a large house/yard system you were frequently mad at me, because I couldn't put on a large enough pressure tank to keep your pump from failing often.

To solve this problem I studied and installed many VFD's systems, only to have customers even more angry because of even more problems and expense. 30+ years ago I started using Cycle Stop Valves with large diaphragm tanks, which solved the VFD and the cycling problems. But I was also testing CSV's with medium size tanks. 20+ years ago I stopped recommending large tanks with CSV's, in favor of medium size tanks. But I was testing CSV's with small tanks. 10+ years ago I stopped recommending even medium size tanks with a CSV, in favor of small tanks. I didn't come by that decision easily.

Now I realize that when using a Cycle Stop Valve to solve the cycling problems, the size of the pressure tank is almost a moot point. All those larger tanks I used for all those years because I was old fashioned and just didn't trust it, was a total waste of space and money. I certainly understand why you think a big pressure tank is important. I hope you can see why I am absolutely sure a large tank is not important at all.

As a matter of fact, once you really understand how a Cycle Stop Valve works, the larger tank has many disadvantages besides just cost and space. The smaller pressure tank gives you strong constant pressure much sooner, which is what I consider advantageous.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #23  
Are you doing this project this winter, or next spring/summer?

Your weather in Montana is probably colder than we have here. Mom has her pressure tank in the garage, perhaps 50 to 100 feet from the well. It has worked well for many years. She has a thermostat set at about 32 to 34 degrees connected to a space heater next to the pressure tank. You don't have to keep it very hot.

One option is if you want to build something like a detached garage or workshop. Build the detached garage next spring and put your tank in the new garage. Then build the house later.

When I was younger, a neighbor built their garage with complete (but small) living quarters in a loft above the garage. Then lived in that for a couple of years while they built their main house.

Somebody mentioned rust. There are fiberglass pressure tanks, although all the switches and electrical components are still water sensitive.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please
Are you doing this project this winter, or next spring/summer?

Your weather in Montana is probably colder than we have here. Mom has her pressure tank in the garage, perhaps 50 to 100 feet from the well. It has worked well for many years. She has a thermostat set at about 32 to 34 degrees connected to a space heater next to the pressure tank. You don't have to keep it very hot.

One option is if you want to build something like a detached garage or workshop. Build the detached garage next spring and put your tank in the new garage. Then build the house later.

When I was younger, a neighbor built their garage with complete (but small) living quarters in a loft above the garage. Then lived in that for a couple of years while they built their main house.

Somebody mentioned rust. There are fiberglass pressure tanks, although all the switches and electrical components are still water sensitive.
I'm doing it right now in our unseasonably warm winter.
The 500gal tank (pit) is supposed to be installed by Friday.
I'm in western Montana west of the continental divide so it's warmer than the rest of the state, and we really haven't had much snow so far. We're supposed to get a foot dropped this weekend.
The local folks tell me 6' down in a pit is enough to keep from freezing as long as the pit is covered. The tank is going to be covered with a couple feet of dirt around the manhole riser so I think it will keep from freezing without an issue.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #25  
Sounds like you are making great progress!

It doesn't hurt to put a layer of 2" rigid foam on top as you backfill it. That will dramatically reduce the heat flow.

It is basically code in Sweden...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #26  
Hello all,
Hoping to get some advice on a pressure tank setup.
Well is 160' deep with an in-well 3/4hp 5gpm pump and pitless adapter installed 6' beneath grade with electric and poly stubouts.
Pad is located downhill of the well about 270 horizontal feet away.
Initially need to plumb in a small mobile home (400 sqft) which will transition to a house with a full foundation/crawlspace later on. Trench/line comes up under the mobile location and in the middle of the future crawlspace.
Frost line is about 48" here.

I'm looking at a 6' trench and the electric and poly stubouts from the well.
I've got 1" 250psi poly tubing, 10/3 NM-B wire, and 1 1/4 schedule 40 conduit.

I need to plumb in a pressure tank that will work with the mobile. I will buy a real tank later to install in the crawl space.

Internet shows small pressure tank under mobile with heavy insulation and some kind of heating device (tape or heat lamp setup) maison anamour-I have concerns about the heating device failing/freezing.
I'm also seeing tanks designed for burying which seem to be a bit more expensive.

I need some advice on a simple setup with the knowledge that it needs to be reliable but only needs to last 2 winters at most
-how big?
-where to install?
-if I do a buried tank do I install at house or at well if well is uphill of tank?
-what kind of insulation/heater/etc.?
-do I need a check valve outside of the well itself?

Thanks much for any feedback
Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I filled my fresh water tank on my 2018 ikss a couple times this week to the point water was coming out and both times the sensor says "Low". I know that it is taking the full 60 gallons because it took a long time to fill and the water pressure from the hose was great. Could it be a bad sensor? Thanks in advance for your replies.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #27  
Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I filled my fresh water tank on my 2018 ikss a couple times this week to the point water was coming out and both times the sensor says "Low". I know that it is taking the full 60 gallons because it took a long time to fill and the water pressure from the hose was great. Could it be a bad sensor? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Be glad to help but don't understand the problem. Maybe post some pictures and start a new thread of your own.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please
So here we are almost complete -just needs the last 2 foot of trench filled in. Works great and will transition nicely to the house. The well pit lid will be insulated

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_101407078_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240203_101407078_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240203_172640074.jpg
    IMG_20240203_172640074.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240204_134041903.jpg
    IMG_20240204_134041903.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240201_163955150.jpg
    IMG_20240201_163955150.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240201_111609427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240201_111609427_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
   / New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #29  
Make sure the holes are well plugged, there will be water in there.

/ New install pressure tank on temporary mobile home -need advice please #30  
So here we are almost complete -just needs the last 2 foot of trench filled in. Works great and will transition nicely to the house. The well pit lid will be insulated
Looks great, except is it missing the Cycle Stop Valve. Still plenty of room on the inlet side of that tank to add a CSV1A when you decide you want good strong constant pressure and for the pump and tank to last longer. Just need to cut the poly pipe back about 4".

CSV1A with 20 gallon tank cross.png