New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
First the power question.

I notice that when I go up-hill with my new MX5400HST (with loaded rears) that it seems to struggle. I didn't think that I was really asking that much of it, but perhaps I was, you tell me.

While climbing a short incline with a 745 lb rotary cutter raised on the rear, and a 400lb L2296 bucket full of exceedingly dry (therefore relatively light) firewood in the bucket, in Low speed, the tractor clearly seems to be working hard. I don't have a basis for comparison, I'm just a bit surprised.

On my first foray into my field with the rotary cutter engaged, all was fine downhill. I tried driving, forward, back up the hill and that's where I had problems. I'm in low speed, PTO was engaged, engine speed was at PTO optimal and sounds fine. But the wheels basically came to a stop. No spinning. ***maybe*** I was just leaning forward in the seat too far and triggered the disengage? I was seated but definitely leaning forward (probably irrationally) because the pucker factor was high and I need to develop a feel for the tractor.

Note that there was almost nothing to cut, so there was no vegetation load to speak of, this was something of a dry run to get used to my equipment.

I'm aware that I must _not_ push hard on the HST pedal, that by doing so I'm putting it in higher gear. I will try some more, I guess I'm just curious if there is more I should now about uphill travel with my tractor. Should I have engaged 4WD? There was no slippage, and downhill travel was peachy. (4wd handle was in down position, I think that's "off").
I might not even have asked about this except that the tractor also seemed to struggle on the smaller hill/incline when I was hauling wood too, and there I was both seated normally and aware of the HST pedal use.

I also had a bucket on the front, kept low, just for extra ballast on that uphill stuff. Rear tires are filled. I did not try going backward (yet), which seems to be a common suggestion.
Maybe I just need practice. I just read about people whose much smaller tractors seem to have no problem with hills. Or, maybe this is life with an HST. Need clues.

Now the safety question for two scenarios:
1. When I'm brush hogging on my hilly field, should I keep the bucket on, maybe even fill it with some material, for ballast? Or leave it empty or even off?
2. When I'm using the loader to haul heavy stuff with the grapple or bucket, again across this hilly field (which is the nexus of my property and needs to be crossed often), is there anything I should do aside from what rear ballast I can attach? (Rotary cutter is too awkward, will probably just use my blade).

I suppose the only real tools I have are whether to mount attachments on the front or back for a given scenario (and whether to load them if I can), and whether to use 4WD. Other than that, I avoid sideways travel on the steep parts, and need to figure out how to get _up_ the steep parts where the tractor slowed to a stop the other day, possibly through user error.

The Kubota operators manual seems to offer little in the way of answers and tips.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #2  
You didn't state what range you are in,should be in medium.It shouldn't struggle with that load at all.4WD lever down is "engaged" at least on my L4240.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions.
You didn't state what range you are in,should be in medium.It shouldn't struggle with that load at all.4WD lever down is "engaged" at least on my L4240.

I was in the low range in all cases! In medium it struggled even more on the small hill. You could hear additional noise from whatever it was that was struggling.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #4  
Brakes off ?

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions.
Brakes off ?

Lol, definitely off. And to underscore that, as I moved from my pile of wood to the destination, the tractor behaved fine. It wasn't until I started up a small hill that there was clearly a difference.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #6  
I haven’t used loaded tires since my days on the farm as a boy/young man. Those old Farmalls had calcium chloride solution in the rear tires. I’ve read on this forum that under the right (wrong!) conditions that tires filled with beet juice can spin the rims inside the tires thereby rendering the tractor stationary. You should take a look at some of those discussions. Good luck.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #7  
I have also heard of the tires spinning on the rims. Sounds like something the op should look into.
Also, I use 4wd on any slope, but it is particularly important when going forward down a slope. The rear gets light and you have insufficient braking ability - it can be a wild ride.
As far as loaders, most recommend removing them, or at least keeping the bucket empty and as close to the ground as possible.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #8  
Hydro oil levels good? Does the motor sound like it's straining?
If this is your very first use on this hill, and not what you expected, the dealer may make a trip out there for you to evaluate things after you explain what's going on and your concerns.

All levels should be good, I had looked at the hydro indicator under the 3ph just a few days prior, and of course it's a new tractor from the dealer so one hopes it has been set up correctly. No doubt more (fun) debugging is in order, hopefully it's just me getting used to the machine.

I'll report back after some more experimentation this weekend, was just wondering if I should be scaling back my expectations about what this tractor is capable of, and also general safety tips.
Going down hill it performed perfectly.

/ New Kubota MX5400HST, Steep Hill, Rotary Cutter. Safety and stall/power questions. #10  
If it bogged down in low range,something is definitely wrong,not operator error.Is the fuel level low?