New Lands.

/ New Lands. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Many folk here are probably looking at the "Get back to the land" sort of living. You may see some "raw land" that looks very inexpensive. I did that, and it sort of worked out, in the early nineties, yet I didn't know about some things. The biggest thing I didn't know about was rocks and soil types. I didn't know I would have to deal with so many rocks, and so many big rocks. Its been 25 years, just taking out rocks and moving them on to something else. This has been my life for 25 years. Moving rocks. The land is now a bit of a paradise, with lawn and house and garage and stuff, yet it was a hard, hard fight, the whole way in those twenty-five years to get these rocks out and put them into other structures.
This is probably why we lose agricultural land, all the time to developments, that focused on river planes and Triple A Dirt with no rocks. For residential, we SHOULD let people build in the places that can't grow crops. Yet I have to say that this is a difficult ethical decision now, after working all these rocks for 25 years. If you are a young person looking at raw land, know the geology of it: I didn't, and that was a bad combination of attempting to fix the land. Just say'en. :)

/ New Lands. #2  
Many folk here are probably looking at the "Get back to the land" sort of living. You may see some "raw land" that looks very inexpensive. I did that, and it sort of worked out, in the early nineties, yet I didn't know about some things. The biggest thing I didn't know about was rocks and soil types. I didn't know I would have to deal with so many rocks, and so many big rocks. Its been 25 years, just taking out rocks and moving them on to something else. This has been my life for 25 years. Moving rocks. The land is now a bit of a paradise, with lawn and house and garage and stuff, yet it was a hard, hard fight, the whole way in those twenty-five years to get these rocks out and put them into other structures.
This is probably why we lose agricultural land, all the time to developments, that focused on river planes and Triple A Dirt with no rocks. For residential, we SHOULD let people build in the places that can't grow crops. Yet I have to say that this is a difficult ethical decision now, after working all these rocks for 25 years. If you are a young person looking at raw land, know the geology of it: I didn't, and that was a bad combination of attempting to fix the land. Just say'en. :)

We have a lot of small rocks in our dirt or a little dirt in our rocks is probably more correct. Our place was about as raw as you could get.
Have been here since 85 and have improved the place. We our proud of what we have done. As you should be.

/ New Lands. #3  
LOL you sound like me.......... hopefully your rocks are not in clay, double the fun. Someone on hear has the sig line "life is easier when you plow around the stumps" I am trying to apply that to the rocks.

Best,

ed

/ New Lands.
LOL you sound like me.......... hopefully your rocks are not in clay, double the fun. Someone on hear has the sig line "life is easier when you plow around the stumps" I am trying to apply that to the rocks.

Best,

ed
In clay. :)

/ New Lands. #5  
We farmed around 3 rocks in a 2 acre field when I was a kid. My uncle had a Hopto excavator that he dug them out with and drug them to the edge of the driveway. The antique 2 bottom trip plow was a lot happier that fall.

But then I had to mow around them.

Last edited:
   / New Lands. #7  
That's why New Hampshire known as the granite state.

/ New Lands. #8  
I bought raw land too, but it was young recovering forest over almost pure sand. Appears to have been pasture/hay back in the 40s, then basically abandoned since the 60s until i hacked my way in.

I definitely researched the soil type map for my county before buying - being able to do a cheap, basic septic field was crucial to affording my home build.

I would love to have more rocks for walls smd landscaping. Every time i find a decent boulder while relandscaping or digging with an excavator, its like striking gold.

/ New Lands. #9  
I've only found a few rocks on my land. I used every single one of them when creating my water fall for my pool. I think there is little over a dozen rocks that I've found in 17 years.

Trees are my issue. They are weeds. You clear an area and they grow right back, but ten times as many. It's a massive battle to keep an area of land as pasture and not have it become jungle again.

I now understand why pasture land sells for so much more then forested land.

/ New Lands. #10  
We have plenty of rocks here... If any of you without rocks need some...

DSC_0127.JPG

The big ones you hopefully can dig a deeper hole next to it & bury it deeper..