New life to an older war horse

/ New life to an older war horse #21  
I have a 1971, and a 1974. The SA-200s with aluminum have an octagon shape generator.

Attachments

• 1970 SA-200.jpg
    1970 SA-200.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Green light.JPG
    Green light.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Octagon.JPG
    Octagon.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 178
   / New life to an older war horse
I'd sure like to get my hands on one of those short hat machines or one with the 4 cyl Wisconsin
I own one like this but need to get an engine for it or rebuild the one it has
th.jpg
this is like my first machine
th (1).jpg
I also own a 1972 Miller big 40 and a 1958 Hobart 300 that one day I want to do the same thing I am doing for my customer

/ New life to an older war horse #23  
I can't say I've ever seen one of those in person.
I don't like the way the SA-200 Short hoods weld, they are great with 6010. You can get a perfect stack of dimes without even trying. I'll take a Red face over a Short hood any day.;)

Attachments

• Date.jpg
    Date.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 143
   / New life to an older war horse #24  
I have not used a stone or anything on my commutator, I did blow it all out with the brush covers off prior to starting her up and I made sure the brushes were free in their holders. It is a round barrel all copper generator and it really welds nice. I am far from a professional welder but this makes me look good. The R57 idler works perfect, I set the low and high RPMs with a hand tach and the open circuit voltages are right on the money. The icing on the cake is getting to hear that sweet little F162 purring through the straight pipe

I can't say I've ever seen one of those in person.
I don't like the way the SA-200 Short hoods weld, they are great with 6010. You can get a perfect stack of dimes without even trying. I'll take a Red face over a Short hood any day.;)

yeah my little 180 was great at stacking dimes but William used to tell me that it had as much to do with the hand in the glove as it did with the machine.
it did well enough with 3/32 & 1/8 LH70 but that was about the max

In 91 when I made my first trip to Kuwait I had a chance to run an Australian made 600 amp Lincoln NOW that is a machine to draw from It would smoke an 8 mm (5/16") rod. up until then I'd never ran portable that could burn deeper harder and longer than my 1981 Hobart mega arc 400 Diesel.

/ New life to an older war horse #27  
I fabricated a frame for the welder to set on that allows me to lift it in and out of my truck with pallet forks on my Kubota tractor. So far it all works sweet. Here are some pictures:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

here is a drawing of a frame that is designed to be full self contained unit it can be modified for several different machines
5-foot-ReelRig_Fotor.jpg

/ New life to an older war horse #30  
Very nice Frank, I would like to see one in person. Sorry for the double post. I have no idea how that happened