Buying Advice New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N)

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #41  
I have to agree.Had a couple close calls with the 8N's.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #42  
This link should take you to a list of the Ford N tractors, it gives descriptions and tells how they differed. Ford-Ferguson
Pay special attention to inadequacies of the hydraulic lift on all of the N series tractors.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

I believe the 9N has a smaller diameter PTO shaft, which is not standard for today's PTO equipment. Many years ago someone told me that the insert adapters did not hold up. At that moment he was buying a complete end coupler for the PTO shaft of his mower. Hopefully, these are still available.
You are correct the PTO shaft is smaller than the standard 540 PTO shaft, you can get an adapter for it. A better solution is an over running clutch which is much safer.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #43  
The 8n overrunning coupler fits standard implements and eliminates the push problem.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #44  
The push problem is unsettling. My little grey market Shibaura didn't have an over running PTO. I didn't know it, and I pushed the clutch in and the tractor kept going forward. :eek:

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #45  
Update ???

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #46  
The n series tractor has one goal and purpose and that is to kill you.

If it can't kill you it wants to tear your limbs off.

If it can't do that it wants to turn over on you and it's not easy to jump off how the running boards and pedals are set up.

If it can't do that it will try to ram fences, buildings, cars, and other people's property as it's out of control.

It constantly tries to do these things while you're trying to get work done.

Get a newer tractor. Leave the Ns in the museum where they belong.
Wow you sure have had a lot of very serious problems with the N series, I’ve been operating a 8N since I was about 10 years old and never ran into anything, its never even come close to being tipped over and when using the PTO the tractor stops like it’s supposed to.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #47  
It doesn't sound like that guy knows about an overrunning coupler. I just got my 1951 8n fired up for the season on Sunday. It started right up after it's long winters nap. One of the original back rims looks like it has just about had it though. Hopefully, I can get one more season out of it.

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #49  
The old massey greys do this too with a slasher.....

Look at an old inter maybe, diesel 275 or 414, they can do groundwork too, 3pl has good capacity.

No power steering and pto is 2 stage clutch........they have uses, but tractors from 80s are better most likely, but nowhere near as cheap and built like tanks

/ New Member Looking At First Tractor - Ford (9N/8N) #50  
Oh, also, they have low range......and steer is not an issue when moving, keeps you fit in the upper body ....