New mower blades or just sharpen them?

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
Here's one of mine this one has 3 summers worth of grass cutting. I don't have a wheel grinder and i'm not sure how hard it would be to get them balanced. They are $15 each new and a cheap wheel grinder is around $50 so buying 3 blades would cover a wheel grinder plus a balance tool.

blade.JPG

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #2  
IMO...from the picture...they should not be difficult to sharpen with just a good file...no need for a knife edge 1/32" blunt edge is recommended for most grasses...

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #3  
A wheel grinder is a handy tool to have. I sharpen my lawn mower blades about once or twice a year, my machetes occasionally, and sometimes use the brush side for paint removal.
But then my wheel grinder was passed down from my Grandfather, so it has sentimental value.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #4  
I just use a big file on mine, then check the balance. If you take an equal number of strokes on each side, most likely you will not alter the balance. Been doing that since 2001, works every time, and dosen't cost anything. :D

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #5  
The blade pictured does not need sharpening. With all the sticks and rocks I hit,I sharpen at first of season most years and get 5 years use unless I hit the curb or water meter:muttering: and bend the blade. I use the 4.5" angle grinder.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #6  
I've been sharpening mower blades since about 1970, sometimes a blade will have a significant nick where it hit a stone. When I'm done getting it sharp I'll set it on a pencil to check balance and occasionally have had to take a little extra off the other side.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #7  
I always sharpen and I have always used a file only until this year. I watched a show on PBS where they were done both ways and the grinder took about 5 minutes with finishing with a file. I really liked that over my 20 to 25 minutes of file time. Then again maybe I don't sharpen often enough.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #8  
Angle grinders are dirt cheap. Go to a pawn shop and look. The Chinese ones will last a few weeks !!! if lucky...ha ha. Drive a nail in a post and put blade thru blade hole on nail...easy to check balance....grind the heavy one down until balance is good. No knife edge needed on blades...sharpen at 45* angle.
Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS...I sharpen my rotary mower blades on the mower every few months. I like'em sharp.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #9  
A HF grinder is like $15. They probably suck but if you spend 10 minuets grinding blades every 3 years it’ll probably last a lifetime.

/ New mower blades or just sharpen them? #10  
As mentioned, that blade doesn't look too bad. I do keep mine sharpened, and have at least two sets for each deck. That way there's always a sharp set ready to install if I'm in a hurry.

My favorite method is with a flap disc on an angle grinder. Of course, the wheel rotation should be so the abrasive travels toward the sharp edge. Otherwise the sharp edge can make short work of the disc. The flap disc makes it easy to get a nice smooth surface without the gouges a hard wheel can produce. A final very light touch to remove burrs and check for balance. I use one of those cheap stepped cone tools.