Backhoe NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue

/ NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue #1  

kormidoit

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 LS MT225S, 2003 Kubota BX2200
The mechanical thumb appears not to be adjustable the way it was installed....take the adjustment pin out and it only drops down 2 inches from folded up position. There are three holes for further adjustment but two tabs at the bottom are prohibiting the thumb to fold out any farther. Any suggestions ?
BTW....Great Tractor. So far.

/ NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue
Apparently cant load the photo. Sorry. I'll call the vendor.

/ NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue #4  
Could it have been installed upside down? So the tabs are at the top and not the bottom.

Just grasping without seeing the setup

thumb3.jpgCalled the dealer and sent them pics....the tabs at the bottom need to be ground 1/4 inch to clear the bottom of the adjustment 'sleeve' as it were. Dealer said they would do it...but I advised I could take on that project...installation of thumb by dealer was correct. Just forgot to ground these tabs for proper rotation of the thumb for adjustment.

/ NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue #6  
That's good news.

I do wonder why there are tabs in the first place if they are too large and have to be ground off.

Last edited:
Good question. In the instruction manual for the LB1300 it shows the schematic of the "optional" thumb, part number IMBH90....it shows the tabs at the bottom of the sleeve part #2. Pin #5 sets the tube where the tabs are into the base of #3. when seated, the tabs bind...& don't allow the sleeve to rotate up to allow adjustment. I suppose if I moved the sleeve up to the second hole on the base #3 it might rotate and allow rotation.
thumb4.jpg

Last edited:
So, I figured it out....no grinding tabs. Pulled pin #5, moved the sleeve up to the middle of the thumb #3 to the holes and reinserted the pin #5.....now the thumb is adjustable up or down....and it forms a triangle for better strength. I am pretty sure that the reason they mounted it was for stowing...flush to the boom.
thumb5.jpg

/ NEW MT225S owner....mechanical thumb issue #9  
I'm just curious, is a hydraulic thumb available as a factory installed option on LS backhoes?

Don't know. I am fine with the mechanical. Moved boulders today...worked just great.