New MX4800 owner

/ New MX4800 owner #1  

troverman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000 Cab
Excited to have just purchased a brand new MX4800 HST 4x4, even though I can't pick it up until July 3. Dealer needs to install loader, load tires, etc. This tractor is going to join my 2013 B2920 and 2002 L4310 which have both given excellent service.

Does the MX4800 have an identical engine to the L4701? Can wheel spacers be added to the rear axle of this machine without compromising integrity? I mow 3/1 side hills. The L4310 has been used to mow these same sidehills without spacers, but it has R4 tires. The MX came with R1 tires which are slightly taller and skinnier.

I tried out an MX5200 gear tractor, but found the speed in the low range to be too slow and the speed in the high range to overlap some, with top gears being too fast.

/ New MX4800 owner #2  
Congrats on your MX4800 purchase. Based on the experience I've had with my MX5800, you should be pleased with the tractors performance. For the money, it's the best tractor I've owned so far.
I routinely mow slopes similar to yours with the MX but I have loaded R4 tires. I used to have to mow on the bias with my old L3010 and R1's.
Since you haven't taken delivery yet, is it too late to have the dealer change the R1's to R4's ? IMO R4's do make a difference on slopes.

I can't help you with the spacers but I believe there are some differences between the L4701 and MX4800 engines. Here is a link to a discussion in another forum:

L4701 vs. MX4800 - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

/ New MX4800 owner #3  
Congratulations! What dealer did you get it from? I have been extremely happy with mine. If you're not planning on using a quick hitch and you switch implements often you might consider upgrading the three-point lift arms to the telescoping ones. (That's what I did but now I wish I hadn't because I use a quick hitch and don't really need it. But if I didn't use a QH it would have been money well spent! :laughing:)

I am fairly certain it is not the exact same engine (although it could share components).

I also think the tractor would have more lateral stability with R4 tires (especially loaded as they will hold more volume/weight). I'm sure you know this but the MX has reversible dish tubs so the rears can be set wider. The R1s have less adjustment than the R4s. Additionally, because the R4s are wider, the overall width of the tractor will be quite a bit more with the industrial tires set at maximum width than the agricultural tires set at maximum width.

IMG_20160212_184038-1024x806.jpg

All that being said, my guess is that your new tractor, with the tires set as white as possible and filled with ballast, will be at least a stable as your old tractor. Maybe consider wheel weights? Wheel weights would certainly seal the deal.

/ New MX4800 owner #4  
There is always confusion as to the exact degree of slope being discussed by members.

/ New MX4800 owner #6  
I think a reasonable person would assume he meant 1:3 without needing clarification.

/ New MX4800 owner #7  
We have a MX5800 HST with R4 tires and really like it. We had our loaded rear wheels set out as wide as possible for stability, which makes a significant difference in stability. I would expect that you can do the same with the R1 wheels and tires, and I would definitely do so if you mow on the kind of slope you describe.

About the slope, if you mean that you have been mowing horizontally on a 3 to 1 slope (1 foot of drop for every 3 feet of travel straight down hill) (versus mowing on an angle up and/or down the hill), I have never mowed on a slope that steep. I therefore don't have any advice to offer on that point other than that I would not attempt it with our MX. For mowing horizontally, I always find a way to stay at or below a 15% slope (and hopefully less), and you are talking about a 33 1/3% slope. Please be ultra careful.

Last edited:
   / New MX4800 owner #8  
Thumb thugs need to find another discussion forum website.

Edit: Thumb thugs are people who type things they'd never say face to face for fear of the resulting dental work that'd be required. Also known as keyboard bullies.

Last edited:
   / New MX4800 owner #9  
We have a MX5800 HST with R4 tires and really like it. We had our loaded rear wheels set out as wide as possible for stability, which makes a significant difference in stability. I would expect that you can do the same with the R1 wheels and tires, and I would definitely do so if you mow on the kind of slope you describe.

About the slope, if you mean that you have been mowing horizontally on a 1 to 3 slope (versus mowing on an angle up and/or down the hill), I have never mowed on a slope that steep. I therefore don't have any advice to offer on that point other than that I would not attempt it with our MX. For mowing horizontally, I always find a way to stay at or below a 15% slope (and hopefully less), and you are talking about a 33 1/3% slope. Please be ultra careful.

15% is only 8.5 degrees. If you stand 8' away from a wall, 8.5 degrees will only take you up around 14". That is a very shallow angle. You should always use caution, but 8.5 degrees is a pretty low angle.

/ New MX4800 owner #10  
Rbtjr,

Agree w/ you in that my MX would appear unstable above the 15 degree slope you describe. The OP has not corrected the assertion that he mows on a 3/1 slope so it is unreasonable for others to make corrections or interpretations as to the intentions of his post.

My MX tires are not loaded as the extra weight during spring mowing is a detriment albeit it does have R-4 shoes. I also have an aftermarket cab weighing 900 lbs. and that alters slightly, the tractor center of gravity. My width is set to 74 inches, outside to outside.

Last edited: