NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things #11  
1 other thing, that tractor would have an oil bath air filter factory standard, when you go to clean the steel mesh canister DON'T pull the mesh out of the canister as it is tightly packed and you won't get it all back in.

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things
That is a huge help! Thank you!
Hopefully the PTO not working is a matter of it being out of adjustment. I'd really rather not split this thing, maybe in the far future but not now.

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things #13  
Did your clutch turn out to be a 2 stage clutch or a single stage?
When you try to engage the pto, do you feel avibration in the pto lever and some extra niose from the gearbox or is it dead silence?

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things
well,, I'm not sure if it is a 2 stage. Never seen one. I don't feel any noticeable vibration. I do hear a clicking sound when the clutch is depressed and it is hard to press. Not nice and soft

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things #15  
When you depress the clutch, is it the same weight/ preassure all the way to the floor or does it does it get harder near the bottom?
Can you be specific as to the clicking location? ie bell housing, or further back?
There is a website (AGCO) for MF manuals, owner, workshop and parts, that other users on this site have used. Also you can I am told you can logon as a guest to find the parts/ part nos for repairs. I think that a workshop and parts manual would be a good investment. When you can quote a part number it makes a description much easier.

When you depress the clutch, is it the same weight/ preassure all the way to the floor or does it does it get harder near the bottom?
Can you be specific as to the clicking location? ie bell housing, or further back?
There is a website (AGCO) for MF manuals, owner, workshop and parts, that other users on this site have used. Also you can I am told you can logon as a guest to find the parts/ part nos for repairs. I think that a workshop and parts manual would be a good investment. When you can quote a part number it makes a description much easier.
it is NOT the same pressure all the way to the floor. Seems to get harder as you go down. The clicking seems to be right near the clutch pedal. Hard to tell but in that area . I am currently looking for a manual for this thing.

Last edited:
UPDATE!
I adjusted the clutch and checked the clearance on the PTO release studs. The clearance was .091 with a very small amount of slop. I decided they were close enough. The adjusting nuts are pretty old and you can only get an open ended wrench in there. I did give them a little lubricant squirt to help them along if I need to get back in there and make adjustments. I would hate to round one off so I left the clearance where it was. I FOUND THE CLICKING SOUND. I was spinning the clutch around through the access hole and I saw a strange sight. There are three small link pins that hold 6 links (claws or paws) and are held in place with a codder pin. One of the codder pins was broken and missing and the link pin had backed off and was holding only one of the claws/paws in place the other link was dangling and it was clearly the clicking issue. I managed to get it back together and secured with a new codder pin. The clicking is now gone. However, The PTO is not working. I am not sure why. I assume when the PTO lever is up or down the PTO should spin when the tractor is in neutral? Like any other tractor I have ever driven. In the morning I plan on pulling the PTO take off control cover and taking a looksee at the filter. Perhaps the shift shaft yoke is off?
The PTO is dead silent when I try to engage it no vibration, No noise, no change in anything in the system when I move the lever either up or down.
Any help would be great.

Last edited:
   / NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things #18  
Can you turn the PTO shaft by hand?

Tractor off
PTO shifter in each of the 3 positions?

/ NEW! / old Massey Ferguson M35 diesel.. Could use a little help. Rear rims rusted out and other fun things #19  
UPDATE!
I adjusted the clutch and checked the clearance on the PTO release studs. The clearance was .091 with a very small amount of slop. I decided they were close enough. The adjusting nuts are pretty old and you can only get an open ended wrench in there. I did give them a little lubricant squirt to help them along if I need to get back in there and make adjustments. I would hate to round one off so I left the clearance where it was. I FOUND THE CLICKING SOUND. I was spinning the clutch around through the access hole and I saw a strange sight. There are three small link pins that hold 6 links (claws or paws) and are held in place with a codder pin. One of the codder pins was broken and missing and the link pin had backed off and was holding only one of the claws/paws in place the other link was dangling and it was clearly the clicking issue. I managed to get it back together and secured with a new codder pin. The clicking is now gone. However, The PTO is not working. I am not sure why. I assume when the PTO lever is up or down the PTO should spin when the tractor is in neutral? Like any other tractor I have ever driven. In the morning I plan on pulling the PTO take off control cover and taking a looksee at the filter. Perhaps the shift shaft yoke is off?
The PTO is dead silent when I try to engage it no vibration, No noise, no change in anything in the system when I move the lever either up or down.
Any help would be great.
"Codder pin" = Cotter pin

With the tractor off the PTO does NOT spin freely in any of the 3 positions. It moves back and forth about a 1/4"