New Pasture Saplings

/ New Pasture Saplings #21  
Not knowing where you are at, this might help or be totally worthless. I live on 68 acres in the Piney Woods of East Texas where the trees are worse then weeds. 200 years ago there where forest fires and the old trees choked out the small trees, but when people settled here, they cleared the land, then abandoned the land, and the land comes back super SUPER thick with trees growing inches apart. Pines, sweet gums and oaks will take over a cleared area in just a year. In two years, they are ten feet tall and impossible to walk through.

I've found that constant mowing eventually works. I like to clear an area with my backhoe by digging out the tree with the rootball attached. Then fill in the hole and compact it. The native Bahia and Coastal Bermuda grass will start to grow almost as soon as it rains in the Spring and Summer. It's very rare that I need to spread grass. Other weeds will mix in with the grass, but if I keep it mowed, the weeds become fewer and fewer. For some weeds, I've sprayed 2,4-D with good results. It's controlled, so you have to buy it by the quart to get it over the counter in my area.

For years, I mowed with a 37hp tractor and 6 foot rotary cutter. It got the job done, but I was never able to mow all of my land in a single year. I focused on the areas I felt where the most important, but I was in a losing battle in other areas. Last year I bought a 70hp tractor and 12 foot batwing. This has allowed me to mow my entire place 3 times last year. The difference is significant. Mowing several times has had a huge impact on what comes back. I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but for the first time since owning my land, I can see it really getting where I want it!!!

I'm in the process of buying 40 acres in the Mabank area. It's totally different there. More open, much flatter, different soil, and tons of Mesquite. The coastal Bermuda is very impressive, but there are so many Mesquite trees there that it's impossible to hay it. I have to remove thousands of them, but since it's such a big project, and 62 miles away, I'll start in one area and work my way out. My plan is to spray the trunks with Remedy mixed with diesel. That seems to be the most common method at killing the Mesquite down to the root system. Then I will mow the saplings after they have died, and dig out the bigger trees with my backhoe. This will be a multi year, never ending project, but one that I'll start getting hay from as soon as I can, and then work on expanding the size of the hayfield until I'm haying all that I can off of the 40 acres.

Chemicals are expensive and require years of application. First year will give you measurable results, but from what I'm told, it takes five years, spraying in the Spring and again in the Fall, to get to the point that you don't have to keep spraying chemicals anymore.

I now look at hayfields differently. It's amazing how much work it took to create and maintain them!!!!
Excellent post.

Your first point being the most important. Every area is different. In my country each farm can be quite different.

/ New Pasture Saplings #22  
Multiple mowings will not kill saplings. Some species actually thrive on it. Mowing will control tall growth but that's about all.

wonder how I made all those saplings on probably over 100 acres go away? Maybe it’s just luck or something about my area?
When they are mowed, they are in control.

Unleashing heavy ag equipment or cows on them kills the stubs, too. Eventually lack of photosynthesis puts them in a dormant phase.

Let the field go unmoved and they will return.

/ New Pasture Saplings #23  
wonder how I made all those saplings on probably over 100 acres go away? Maybe it’s just luck or something about my area?
When they are mowed, they are in control.

Unleashing heavy ag equipment or cows on them kills the stubs, too. Eventually lack of photosynthesis puts them in a dormant phase.

Let the field go unmoved and they will return.
You are that good HD!!!

My vision of what the OP is dealing with is a field scattered with brush mature enough that there are stumps to deal with. Stumps that he's going to remove.

Mowing, regardless of how many times, won't fix that. Eddie described the procedure very well.

/ New Pasture Saplings #24  
IMO, theres different types of saplings.
Obviously, the kind I have bush hogged and cut down died off after cutting and sometimes discing.
There’s probably other types that need more work. I haven‘t encountered those types yet.

That’d be my guess.

Have had a few customers request that trees be cut at grade and the root system killed. We cut the tree down to about 2 feet tall, then cut the stump down to ground level, then pour roundup into holes drilled in the top outer ring of the stump.

I do have a few fields with very flush cut stumps that don’t give me much worry when driving discbine over them, so They never give trouble once they’ve been flush cut-even without chemicals.

Last edited:
   / New Pasture Saplings #25  
Agree. We have been trained to use carcinogenic chemicals as first lines of defense instead of other methods first.
I have 5 or 6 small fields basically created out of overgrown trash, now producing hay. Had stumps, suckers, hemp dogbane, small cedars & lots of sweet gum.
Didn’t use chemicals. Used a mower, a disc on a few, a landscape rake and seed. They look like lawns now.

Made hay off this hilltop field 4 months after this picture was taken. It was scrub brush, autumn olive, blackberry stickers, hemp dogbane and other junk. It could just as easily been grazing land like the OP wants.

View attachment 781503

Here’s another I cleared about 10 years ago. Didn’t use any chemicals on this one, either. I cut this in the fall and by the following June it was producing abundant hay.

View attachment 781505

Here’s a field of saplings cut in October of 2015

View attachment 781506

Here’s same field this summer making hay

View attachment 781513

roger that dude

/ New Pasture Saplings #26  
Ways to control brush (se WI, temperate northern climate, borderline prairie):
Burn the area. Every 3yrs will control most brush and saplings.
Chemicals like brush guard, triclopyr4, remedy - basal spray up to 4" caliper, broadcast for area control.
Mowing often, like a lawn or hayfield.
Brush hog, dull blades that leave a rough wound are more likely to kill.
Tree puller. 1-4" caliper trees are removed, but some will re-sprout from root nodes with a vengeance. Could create a seedbed.
Dozer. Without over seeding with desirables like grasses creates a great seedbed. Invasives love disturbed areas.
All of the above will work, but all most likely would need to be repeated. Pick your poison.
We have an old pasture here next to the house that has been mowed like a lawn for 20yrs. Recently, two years of not mowing and there are 100s, 1000s of small knee high saplings starting. Just like that, they were all waiting for an opportunity. Putting it back into pasture would solve the sapling issue, and once removed again it could stay as prairie, possibly for a very long time. But eventually brush starts to encroach.

/ New Pasture Saplings #27  
Agree. We have been trained to use carcinogenic chemicals as first lines of defense instead of other methods first.
Best way depends on how you feel when you get out bed that day.
We cut the tree down to about 2 feet tall, then cut the stump down to ground level, then pour roundup into holes drilled in the top our ring of the stump.

/ New Pasture Saplings
Thanks for all the replies and it's really given me a lot to think about! I live in central NC. I don't mind using some chemicals but I have to be very careful about them. I have honey bees and I have to be positive that anything that I spray is not anything that my bees will be working. With that said chemical free would be great. I was hoping since I just mowed it down Saturday and the temps getting well below freezing, does this have any effect on a sapling freshly busted apart by a brushhog? Also, When I got home today I was just curious so I hooked up and went playing a little bit with an old bog harrow. It did a great job busting up the ground and cutting through mowed vegetation. Will harrowing it up this time of year in the dead of winter help with any weeds this coming spring? Thanks for all the help I do appreciate it.

/ New Pasture Saplings #29  
I don't think you'll gain much now. Even with burning, it works best when the plants awaken next Spring. Take some pics when you get a chance. That will help us better understand.

/ New Pasture Saplings #30  
Multiple mowings will not kill saplings. Some species actually thrive on it. Mowing will control tall growth but that's about all.
The only quick way to deal with woody vegetation is to cut the tree and treat the stump with Garlon or a similar herbicide. But the treatment must be done soon after cutting before sap seals the stump. If you’re treating a large area, use a dye in the herbicide so it’s easy to track which stumps have been treated.