New pickup

/ New pickup #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
So, in a true moment of weakness, I'm upgrading my "fleet". Yesterday I purchased a brand new 2018 Dodge Power Wagon. It took the better part of two and a half hours to navigate the paperwork. It's still "in transit" and scheduled to arrive at the dealership within a week.

The Service Manager made a point of telling me - "nobody but our service dept is authorized to work on this vehicle". "There is proprietary software in this vehicle and if anybody does any type of work or makes any adjustment - you will risk voiding your warrantee".

An older thread raised its head - way back there in the grey matter. I told him that I thought this matter had been decided in the courts and that the current owner could choose alternate repair scenarios. He was adamant on this point and went on to say - "besides, no other facility has the equipment nor software programs required to analyze or perform any needed repairs/service". "Take it to a Chevy dealer, he will simply load it on a trailer and bring the vehicle to us".

I pressed the topic no further, besides with the extended maintenance warrantee, why would I want to go anywhere else, anyhow.

Now, I wonder. Was that old thread factual? Did the court really decide in favor of the current owner and his alternate repair/maintenance options? Was the courts decision only regarding tractors?

Tell me - what is the current situation?

Base price - $52K & change. After lifetime oil changes, taxes & extended maintenance warrantee - $58K & change.

/ New pickup #2  
Apologies, no clue, but if I spent money on a brand NEW vehicle and spent the coin you probably have spent for a new truck and the dealership told me that, I'd just tell them to give me my money back and I'll buy something else elsewhere.

/ New pickup
That's a very valid point, Sigarms. But I've always wanted a Power Wagon. And I would venture, that this is going to be the same for all major truck manufacturers. At least, regarding the proprietary software and analytical equipment.

"Hold the line, stay the course" is a very strong position amongst most truck companies.

/ New pickup #4  
So, in a true moment of weakness, I'm upgrading my "fleet". Yesterday I purchased a brand new 2018 Dodge Power Wagon. It took the better part of two and a half hours to navigate the paperwork. It's still "in transit" and scheduled to arrive at the dealership within a week.

The Service Manager made a point of telling me - "nobody but our service dept is authorized to work on this vehicle". "There is proprietary software in this vehicle and if anybody does any type of work or makes any adjustment - you will risk voiding your warrantee".

An older thread raised its head - way back there in the grey matter. I told him that I thought this matter had been decided in the courts and that the current owner could choose alternate repair scenarios. He was adamant on this point and went on to say - "besides, no other facility has the equipment nor software programs required to analyze or perform any needed repairs/service". "Take it to a Chevy dealer, he will simply load it on a trailer and bring the vehicle to us".

I pressed the topic no further, besides with the extended maintenance warrantee, why would I want to go anywhere else, anyhow.

Now, I wonder. Was that old thread factual? Did the court really decide in favor of the current owner and his alternate repair/maintenance options? Was the courts decision only regarding tractors?

Tell me - what is the current situation?

Base price - $52K & change. After lifetime oil changes, taxes & extended maintenance warrantee - $58K & change.

Gheez, oosik, you be a rich man. That’s over $75,000 in Canuck money - eeep!

/ New pickup
No, check, at one point I might have been - no longer. I'll have a shiny new pickup and one HUMUNGOUS debt. I've weakened and come back to join the human rat race. If all else fails - thank God my tractor is free and clear of any debts. I would be able to ride off into the sunset - leaving cross bar track marks in my wake.

/ New pickup #6  
You can Google you question about warranties to find the info about the legalities, but you can do your own work or have it serviced elsewhere. However, some dealers have been know to refuse warranty repairs claiming the issue was caused by work done by the owner.

Congrats on the new truck. Is it an 18 or 19? Don't know why an 18 would be "in transit."

/ New pickup #7  
The problem is finding a qualified independent mechanic that has the newest software diagnostics capabilities. All the manufacturers have found out that by upgrading software and programming independent mechanics are having a harder time in playing catch up. In your case it's a mute point with the extended warranty.

I bought a new to me 2015 Chrysler 300 3 years ago and have had zero major issues. Two minor warranty issues. One with a defective trunk emblem and a cable monitor for the front right wheel sensor. Easy peazey. One recall dealing with the auto park feature which is software related.

That is a super nice vehicle oosik. Would love to some some pictures when you get it home. Enjoy it.

/ New pickup #8  
No, check, at one point I might have been - no longer. I'll have a shiny new pickup and one HUMUNGOUS debt. I've weakened and come back to join the human rat race. If all else fails - thank God my tractor is free and clear of any debts. I would be able to ride off into the sunset - leaving cross bar track marks in my wake.

Yes! Let’s hear it for buying with other people’s money! (Do it all the time.)

/ New pickup #9  
Unless it is specifically mentioned and signed maintenance is your choice.

Congratulations on the new truck/luxury limousine. I have to make do with a twenty two year old working truck with absolutely no chance of replacing it.

/ New pickup
Thanks Turbys. There will be pics coming. Having had one type or other of 4WD vehicle all my adult life - I really put the poor young salesman thru the wringer. I measured the total OAL of my current F-150. It fits just great in its carport stall. So, as just a starter, I asked what the overall length of the new pickup would be. Then moved on to - is the 4WD activation system mechanical or vacuum. Is the bed liner spray on or put on with rollers. Did they sand the paint prior to applying the bed liner or was it applied to bare metal. And the coup-de-grasse - "as we all know, computers are designed to fail. When the computer(s) on this new truck fail - where is the button that converts everything back to analog." "In analog, I will be able to drive this monster back and you can fix it". He turned white - I thought he was going to pass out. And I hadn't even got to ask how the front stabilizer bar was deactivated and why.

BTW - my son will be getting the F-150. Just what he needs, living in the big city. A big 'ol 4WD Ford pickup. Sugar plums are already dancing in his head. Big tires, dual exhaust, God know what else.