New problem tighten bolts

/ New problem tighten bolts
A 9/16" wrench is for a 3/8" bolt which should not be 120 ft-lbs - 120 in-lbs would be more like it but that does seem a little light.

I am not familiar with the application but is this a light torque load where it is locked some other way and they are more for shear - if so 120 in-lb would be where I would put them.

Do you see what felt like it was stripping?

I felt the stripping feel but could not see any stripping damage.

I could not see any damage form what felt like stripping.

But we all know if it felt like it striped it probably did.

/ New problem tighten bolts #13  
Do the bolts free thread in fine? Because as the stripping start your threads start to shear but you may not notice it if you just started to feel it and stopped but your thread pitch will have been messed up. If your thread pitch is good so that the bolts freely thread in (may want to use longer bolts to check the threads so they do not tighten up) then you should be good.

Do the bolts free thread in fine? Because as the stripping start your threads start to shear but you may not notice it if you just started to feel it and stopped but your thread pitch will have been messed up. If your thread pitch is good so that the bolts freely thread in (may want to use longer bolts to check the threads so they do not tighten up) then you should be good.

I think I will take it apart one more time and run the bolts all the way in without the clutch pack before a put it together again.

Thanks to all.

I think the issue is solved.

If not I will be back asking for more help.

I hate it when I think I should have figured it out on my own. Guess I am not as smart as I think I am. At least I am smart enough to ask for help.

/ New problem tighten bolts #16  
Don't feel bad - I get tunnel vision when things just don't make sense. I need to just sit back and think about them. this is a good forum to do so in as we will come at it from a different viewpoint. Good luck in getting it all back together.

/ New problem tighten bolts #17  
Deere bolt specs :

Deere-standards-bolts-jdma17-2.jpg

Bruce

PS: added heading

Last edited:
What does JDM stand for? and, ASTM?
I always thought SAE was the standard.

/ New problem tighten bolts #20  
JDM is a John Deere standard.

Bruce