New problem tighten bolts

/ New problem tighten bolts #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
JD 302 old construction grade tractor work, horse for a long time.
Two stage clutch. PTO quit clutching. Split the tractor found 1 or the 3 arms broken. JD does not sell a clutch pack assembly, you have to buy individual parts at ridiculous prices.
Bought a new arm and started reassembly. Six bolts attach clutch assembly to the flywheel. Manual says to replace the bolts from grade D to grade F.

New to me. Never heard of grade D or F bolts. Manual says to torque to 120 ft/lbs. Figured out I already have grade F bolts. As I tighten every thing seems normal until @50 ft/lbs and the 2 bolts seem to not get any tighter but like something is stripping. One bolt breaks. Bought 6 grade 8 bolts. Bolts tighten to around 50 ft/lbs and that odd feeling returns. Does not seem to tighten. Pulled it apart again and nothing seems to be stripping. Scared to go on. What should I do??????
HELP!

/ New problem tighten bolts #2  
Grade F is equivalent to Grade 5. What is the diameter of the bolt shank?

/ New problem tighten bolts

Not sure. I used a 5/8 socket if I remember right, if not it was a 9/16.

From what I found on the internet an F had a lot lower shear strength.

The tractor is at my sons house about1 mile away.

I see you are in FTW. I called Arrow Bolt in Euless, and they never heard of a grade D or F.

I went to another bolt companies web site for a torque chart and it shows torque for 1/4 and 5/16 bolts in in/lbs. Maybe the manual is mis-printed in ft/lbs instead of in/lbs.

/ New problem tighten bolts #10  
A 9/16" wrench is for a 3/8" bolt which should not be 120 ft-lbs - 120 in-lbs would be more like it but that does seem a little light.

I am not familiar with the application but is this a light torque load where it is locked some other way and they are more for shear - if so 120 in-lb would be where I would put them.

Do you see what felt like it was stripping?