New Purchase

/ New Purchase
How is the mower performing? How is it handling the elevation on the property?
Mower is running great, it's a blast to drive. It handles most of the slope pretty well but there are definitely sections that are too dangerous for it. Over time I'll probably need to do some projects to:

1) Prune low branches so the mower can fit under all the trees
2) Install safety rails where sharp drop offs are present
3) Alter some slopes so that they're more mower friendly by adding material / grading them to be less steep
4) Remove grass in areas that are tough to reach with the mower and use barkdust or other materials
5) Get a brush hog for the tractor so I can deal with areas that are too overgrown for the mower
6) Add gravel or drainage to areas that are too muddy even when everything else is dry

You can't see it well in the picture but that lower field area isn't nearly as flat as it looks, definitely have to be careful and some parts may not be mowable at all. Started down there so I could figure out what I was doing before trying the house area. Turned out to be smart, the house area was more complicated and I would have run into or over things if I hadn't practiced first.

I'm not used to a mower with a 6.8 Gallon gas tank, so fuel transport and storage is a new wrinkle I hadn't really thought much about. I've got a 5 Gallon can for the generator so that worked ok for now. The tractor will be 11.1 gallons diesel and I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

/ New Purchase #163  
Mower is running great, it's a blast to drive. It handles most of the slope pretty well but there are definitely sections that are too dangerous for it. Over time I'll probably need to do some projects to:

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun learning and worthwhile chores. Hope you enjoy it!

/ New Purchase #164  

3) Alter some slopes so that they're more mower friendly by adding material / grading them to be less steep
4) Remove grass in areas that are tough to reach with the mower and use barkdust or other materials
5) Get a brush hog for the tractor so I can deal with areas that are too overgrown for the mower
6) Add gravel or drainage to areas that are too muddy even when everything else is dry

You can't see it well in the picture but that lower field area isn't nearly as flat as it looks, definitely have to be careful and some parts may not be mowable at all. Started down there so I could figure out what I was doing before trying the house area. Turned out to be smart, the house area was more complicated and I would have run into or over things if I hadn't practiced first.

I'm not used to a mower with a 6.8 Gallon gas tank, so fuel transport and storage is a new wrinkle I hadn't really thought much about. I've got a 5 Gallon can for the generator so that worked ok for now. The tractor will be 11.1 gallons diesel and I haven't quite figured that part out yet.
Sounds like your fun is really starting to happen. Congrats. On diesel fuel, if it isn’t too far to the gas station maybe just ‘road it’ for a while. :) A nice slow way to check out your neighbors as you putt-putt to town. 10 gallons = about 15 hours of seat time. About once a month trip for me.

/ New Purchase #165  
Congrats on the purchases, good choices I think.

A 5 gallon gas jug sounds perfect for keeping the mower topped off, can just pour in half a jug when you get down to a half tank or so.

Same for the tractor, frankly. Get 2 or 3 5-gallon diesel jugs, and when you get well below half tank, pour a full 5 gallons in. I have a similar diesel tank on my Kioti; I just pour half a 5-gallon jug in when I get to around half tank on my gauge. (Over filling and spilling SUCKS, don't push your luck and try to get it full to the brim). No need for a full tank, it will burn less than a gallon per hour for you; maybe even just half a gallon per hour if you're loafing around and not working hard.

/ New Purchase
Sounds like your fun is really starting to happen. Congrats. On diesel fuel, if it isn’t too far to the gas station maybe just ‘road it’ for a while. :) A nice slow way to check out your neighbors as you putt-putt to town. 10 gallons = about 15 hours of seat time. About once a month trip for me.
6 Mile trip to the gas station, I think that's an hour round trip on a tractor? Doesn't sound time efficient and I doubt my neighbors would appreciate me clogging up the two lane road for that long. Might be fun once just for the experience.

My gas can:

Apparently there is official color coding for flammables with Red for Gas and Yellow for Diesel. That's great because I was worried my wife or I might mix them up by accident. So I'm just going to buy of two of these for now:

Tractor bucket is supposed to arrive this week, we're waiting on the 3" spacers. I told them to hold off on delivery till the spacers get in for safety reasons, otherwise I could have had it last week with a temporary bucket.

/ New Purchase #167  

You're doing just fine. Those are great ideas. You will get a handle on it and maybe even teach some of us a thing or two.

/ New Purchase
Follow up posting as promised. The wheel spacers and cutting blade are still on backorder but the tractor with bucket and grading scraper was delivered yesterday:

tractor.png

I got the brief intro training and then delivery guy headed out. Parking it in the lean to in the back of the barn was more challenging than I expected due to height. With the ROPS up it was pretty tall, but by hugging the right side I was able to make it work. Originally I tried to fold down the ROPS, but apparently that process is designed to be difficult. Very soon now we'll try and get a dump truck load of gravel which I'll need to move around to muddy spots and then I'll also need to try and grade the driveway. We'll see how that goes.

/ New Purchase #169  
Follow up posting as promised. The wheel spacers and cutting blade are still on backorder but the tractor with bucket and grading scraper was delivered yesterday:

View attachment 747625

I got the brief intro training and then delivery guy headed out. Parking it in the lean to in the back of the barn was more challenging than I expected due to height. With the ROPS up it was pretty tall, but by hugging the right side I was able to make it work. Originally I tried to fold down the ROPS, but apparently that process is designed to be difficult. Very soon now we'll try and get a dump truck load of gravel which I'll need to move around to muddy spots and then I'll also need to try and grade the driveway. We'll see how that goes.
Time to start having fun!!!! Congrats.

/ New Purchase #170  
Congratulations. I find that implements on the back take more learning time than the front bucket does. Mostly it is just experience. It doesn't hurt to chose an area to practice in that isn't too obvious.
rScotty