New Rear Tires

/ New Rear Tires #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
I put new rear tires on my tractor yesterday.

As for details, the old tires were original, bought with the Kubota 2500L tractor in 1999, so they were on the tractor for 21 years, or 3000 hours. I did not do the front tires because I replaced those a year ago.

I bought the 11.2-24 tires from Miller Tire, an advertiser on here for $270 per tire, tube for $32, for a total cost of $802 with shipping from Ohio to Maine which took (5) days. (Just in case anyone was wondering what tire replacement, shipping cost and time to do it; might be for their own tractor.)

It took me about (4) hours to swap both tires, but while seemingly slow, that included using a grinder with cup wheel to knock off the rust, and to patch one of the rims that had rusted through. I no longer run calcium in any of my tractors, but at one time, I did, and the results can be seen. You can even see where I patched these rims 10 years ago.

I did grade a logging road yesterday, pulling a tow behind grader with these new tires, and kept the tractor in 2 wheel drive, and they made a big difference. I will have to dig gravel out of my gravel pit to really see if these make a huge difference, but after 21 years of use, they cannot be any worse than the old tires. :laughing:

I did take some pictures yesterday, but admit I got caught up in the job at hand, and did not take as many as I should have.

/ New Rear Tires
It was a good investment it seems...

I have been digging down in my gravel pit, and the significance between the old and new tires is pretty extreme. I have tested these tires on about 40 cubic yards of gravel, which is digging the gravel straight out of the bank that glaciers compacted years ago. So far, I have not had to use my positraction to load the bucket. This was not the case last year with my old tires.

Overall things get done quite a bit faster having the new tires, so I am glad I spent the $803. :cool2:

/ New Rear Tires #3  
Glad the new tires worked for you. Think you need to come up with some other ideas on that jack and block system from a safety standpoint. That looks like an accident in the making.

/ New Rear Tires
Glad the new tires worked for you. Think you need to come up with some other ideas on that jack and block system from a safety standpoint. That looks like an accident in the making.

Yeah you probably are right.

Normally the winch is on the tractor, then it is a lot easier because you can just loop the winch cable around a tree or a stump, and winch the tractor over on three wheels like you do changing tires on a skidder. That makes it a bit easier and safer.

/ New Rear Tires #5  
Yeah you probably are right.

Normally the winch is on the tractor, then it is a lot easier because you can just loop the winch cable around a tree or a stump, and winch the tractor over on three wheels like you do changing tires on a skidder. That makes it a bit easier and safer.

A big chunk of hemlock or firewood makes great blocking. I agree, that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

/ New Rear Tires
A big chunk of hemlock or firewood makes great blocking. I agree, that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

It actually looks worse than it is, but only because there are bolts on the bottom that make the surface uneven for jacking. It is pretty sturdy considering.

I still prefer to winch the tractor/skidder over sideways, that way you are relying on the winch cable instead of a jack and blocking underneath it.

/ New Rear Tires #7  
I'm glad to hear that there was no accident. JMHO - you need to update your jacking procedures. No real need to push the envelope so very hard.