New saw owner

/ New saw owner #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Well, today I went out and bought a new 27ton Troy bilt log splitter for cutting up firewood at home. What came with it was a new Husqvarna 235e chain saw with a 14" bar. I have used chain saws before and am always cautious when using them. Very dangerous machines. I am glad this one has the 14" bar, great for limbing and a great saw to start off on. Safety is of my highest concern and when i cut the wood pile we got, i will use the skidsteer to hold up the logs so i will have less kick back when cutting up the logs. I am really excited to use my new splitter. I originally got a 10 ton splitter but it wouldnt start so I brought it back and got a refund. It had a remanufactured engine and a small pump. The 27 ton has a bigger pump and a honda engine.

Attachments

• 10-1-10 099.JPG
    10-1-10 099.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 10-1-10 100.JPG
    10-1-10 100.JPG
    932.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 10-1-10 110.JPG
    10-1-10 110.JPG
    923.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 10-1-10 098.JPG
    10-1-10 098.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 10-1-10 103.JPG
    10-1-10 103.JPG
    895.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 10-1-10 111.JPG
    10-1-10 111.JPG
    929.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 10-1-10 125.JPG
    10-1-10 125.JPG
    902.8 KB · Views: 196
   / New saw owner #2  
Nice purchase. Yes be careful with the saw but also be careful with the splitter. I have a friend that lost the end of a finger when he was folding a splitter for transport.

/ New saw owner #3  
Always test the chain for oil by holding it near a log at high rpms.it will make a dark line.never never put off tightening the chain that shows slack hanging when stoped.have sharp spare chains ready and clean the sprocket and bar!! never cut when tired and stay extra alert.

/ New saw owner
Nice purchase. Yes be careful with the saw but also be careful with the splitter. I have a friend that lost the end of a finger when he was folding a splitter for transport.

I was told that when i bought it to keep it hooked to something when folding it since the tounge is so light, it will act like scissors. I need to buy a 2" ball i guess.

/ New saw owner
Always test the chain for oil by holding it near a log at high rpms.it will make a dark line.never never put off tightening the chain that shows slack hanging when stoped.have sharp spare chains ready and clean the sprocket and bar!! never cut when tired and stay extra alert.

I have seen that when my grandpa tried out his new sthil. He held it close to the ground and let it run. Once he saw that line, he stopped. For spare chains, i will probably be buying some soon. I will be keeping this saw really clean and when i change out the chain, i will flip the bar over for better wear. :)

/ New saw owner #6  
Enjoy.

It is super addictive. You will see.....

After having a bad day, there is nothing better than giving a tree what for with a chainsaw.:D

/ New saw owner #7  
Congrats on the purchase.

How much wood do you plan on cutting???

Judging from the size of your splitter, you will be cutting a good bit. But I may be wrong.

Once you get the hang of running a saw I think you'll be wanting a bigger one in the 50-60cc range. IMO.

Dont forget the PPE either. And expecally a pair of chaps. I find that it would be easier to cut ones leg with a short bar rather than a 24-28" bar. The chaps can be a lifesaver. And they also offer excellent briar protection.

These seem to be regarded as one of the best http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=LW850+BO+LG&catID=

/ New saw owner #8  
Once you get the hang of running a saw I think you'll be wanting a bigger one in the 50-60cc range. IMO.

Don't stop there... go to the 372XP saw, and then use your old one to get it out when it gets stuck.

/ New saw owner
Don't stop there... go to the 372XP saw, and then use your old one to get it out when it gets stuck.

I will, but i have a few more things to get finished with before i buy another saw.

/ New saw owner
Congrats on the purchase.

How much wood do you plan on cutting???

Judging from the size of your splitter, you will be cutting a good bit. But I may be wrong.

Dont forget the PPE either. And expecally a pair of chaps. I find that it would be easier to cut ones leg with a short bar rather than a 24-28" bar. The chaps can be a lifesaver. And they also offer excellent briar protection.

These seem to be regarded as one of the best Bailey's - Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps

My grandpa said the splitter was a little overkill for the 7 cords of wood i need to split, but we got a lot more trees to cut down so i figured it would be nice to have the bigger machine. i got to use my new saw for a while today cutting up 5 cord of wood. Now i just need to split it all. My grandpa helped me and brought his New Stihl Farm boss and MS250. We got a lot of wood cut in a small 2 hours of time. I will have to get some pictures of the pile of wood. i still have a bunch more logs to either cut or drag out of the woods with my tractor.