New Stihl?

/ New Stihl? #1  

dvan1966

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200DT
I have a 029 that I bought new in 1994 with a 20" bar that I'm still using. Been thinking about getting a new one and that should last me the rest of my wood cutting days. I've always wanted something with a little more power than the 029. I looked at the MS291, 311 and 391 today. The dealer said the 291 will probably have a little more than the old 029. I was leaning more towards the 311, more power and bigger chain, 3/8" instead of .325. He also had a 391 for $90 more than the 311 but not sure if I need that . The 311 is about 1.4lbs heavier than the 291. I have mostly been cutting dead ash the last few years and there is lots more still standing in the woods behind me. Any recommendations on which way to go?
I want to stay with Stihl because there are a few dealers/service in my area.

/ New Stihl? #2  
Those are all farm grade saws. Do yourself a favor and get a pro saw. A stihl 261 is the same power as the biggest one in your lineup and 4 pounds less. You’re considering spending $4-500 and a 261 is low $600s. It would be well worth that much to shave 3-4 pounds off your saw and keep the same power.

Last edited:
   / New Stihl? #3  
If you want to stay in the Stihl lineup thats fine . Not sure of there current lineup but I would spend more beans and get one of their pro saws also . Years ago I owned an 029 ( great saw ) . I don't know maybe 7 years ago I bought me a new MS291 . I sold it to someone who asked me if I would sell it to them . I muffler mod etc my own saws . I was not too impressed with my MS291 , and it had no issues what so ever . Cranked easy also . Since then I have owned maybe 4 Echo Timberwolfs which would run circles and I like better than my MS291 . I flip saws in my neck of the Fla everglades etc . Not steering you to Echo , just saying I would spend more beans into the Stihl pro stuff and not homeowner "farm " catchy phrase series .

My current saws are a Shindaiwa 600 which is the same as an Echo 620 and a Timberwolf . Both saws pullin 24"bars . BTW paid $400 for the Wolf delivered to my house tax and shipping included . Tons of Timberwolf mods on utube .

Last edited:
   / New Stihl? #4  
I just sprung for a Husky 562XP as a replacement for the old Jonsered 2255.
About the same weight, +_1 lb, but a much faster and pro grade saw.
Bigger money $800+- but it is a beast compared to the little Jonsy and will cut head to head with my 2171.
20 inch bars on all saws.

/ New Stihl? #5  
My favorite 'go to' saw is a Stihl 009 that I purchased at a pawn shop for the sum of $40.00.
Lots of power for the weight and a favorite of tree surgeons, in fact it was modified with a hook to hang from the belt.
I've refused many offers for it from tree guys.

/ New Stihl? #7  
I would caution inexperienced guys about pro grade saws. They can be a handful!
Farm swas have more a more effective torque curve that makes them easier to use.
Although I can't imagine a professional wanting anything less than the best pro grade they can get.

/ New Stihl? #8  
I used a 291 for 10 years or so. Super tough a dependable saw but it's underpowered for how heavy it is. Got a deal on a 261 and wish I would've made the move sooner. The 261 is the perfect all around saw IMO.

/ New Stihl? #9  
I have a 029 that I bought new in 1994 with a 20" bar that I'm still using. Been thinking about getting a new one and that should last me the rest of my wood cutting days. I've always wanted something with a little more power than the 029. I looked at the MS291, 311 and 391 today. The dealer said the 291 will probably have a little more than the old 029. I was leaning more towards the 311, more power and bigger chain, 3/8" instead of .325. He also had a 391 for $90 more than the 311 but not sure if I need that . The 311 is about 1.4lbs heavier than the 291. I have mostly been cutting dead ash the last few years and there is lots more still standing in the woods behind me. Any recommendations on which way to go?
I want to stay with Stihl because there are a few dealers/service in my area.

I have a 241 (18 inch bar) and a 362 (25 inch bar). Both great. They have the etronic carb

/ New Stihl?
How will the 261 compare to my 029 and the 291 power wise? I plan on putting a 20" bar on whatever I get. I was looking for something with a little more power than my 029. I do like the weight of the 261, especially compared to the 311