New telephone scam?

/ New telephone scam? #11  
Yep, we registered long ago on the do not call registry, so we only get 2 or 3 such calls a day.:mad: I don't suppose anyone pays any attention to the do not call registry. We usually just promptly hang up, but occasionally I'll play along for awhile until they hang up. Or sometimes I tell them, "With my bad hearing, and your accent, I don't think we can communicate." And they hang up.:laughing:

/ New telephone scam? #12  
I'm wishin' anda hopin' anda prayin' for the call from the IRS telling me I need to immediately send them money. Because I'm handicapped, they will have to come to my door to get the cash I have in my safe for such an occasion.

What a wonderful chance to try out my new excavator....

/ New telephone scam? #13  
Hmmm - - I can honestly say I have never received a spam call. Of course, my only home phone is a cell phone, I've registered on the do not call registry & I only turn the cell phone on when I want to make a call. Otherwise, I occasionally check the cell phone for any messages and if important, I might return the call. Its worked for me for the 32+ years I've been out here. People seem to forget - my cell phone is for MY convenience - that's why I pay the monthly bill.

/ New telephone scam? #14  
It's the holiday season, expect scamers to be working overtime. Watch out for scam veterns groups, sound alike major no-profits, etc. I use to donate to vets but thieves have taken over. Remember the chief of staff for a comgressman is Il or Mi that started a disabled vet no-profit and used the funds on himself, nothing ever happened to him. Legal theft. I don't even drop a coin into a Salvation Army red kettle anymore. World is full of thieves who are not held accountable.

mark

/ New telephone scam? #15  
Yep, Mark, lots of scams; some by "legitimate" charities that I avoid, but I don't think the Salvation Army is one of them. That's one I do support and drop some $20 bills in the red kettles.

/ New telephone scam? #17  
Best thing I did was to buy a phone with"call block",if I don't like the number I just block it....easy.

/ New telephone scam? #18  
speaking of which... i need to double check the do not call registry for the US. it has been a few years. most likely need to re-register.
www.donotcall.gov

Used to be that you had to re-register on a cycle that I think was 5 years. A couple of years ago it changed so that if you have ever registered you stay on until the number has a new owner. The problem is they (telemarketers) ignore the list as the feds will not prosecute except in the most egregious cases as there are too many of them. The other problems is there are so many loopholes for so called charities (just about anything that is a non-profit) and any company that you have ever had business with in any form is excepted form the rules of the do not call registry. Now that the technology has gotten so that just about anyone can put in a fake number to show up on your caller ID you can't even reliably report the offender because the number that you report does not exist for that company. I even had my own number show up as having been calling me on the caller ID. I would like to know how they automated the fake caller ID to identify the caller as the telephone number they are calling to not from. Even has my name with my number. First time I thought it was a repairman who tied into the line to test it but no it was telemarketers.

/ New telephone scam? #19  
Had a call like that and four of my friends did, too. Appears to be prevalent these days so please remain vigilant everyone!