New telephone scam?

/ New telephone scam? #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I got a call from someone with a foreign accent claiming to be from Microsoft. It seems my computer is somehow responsible for some kind of mischief. Before he got into the details, my temper got the best of me and I responded with an impolite remark and hung up. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was several months ago. The phone number on the caller id said the call came from some small rural network in the northern midwest. The second call was last night. The caller id number was an obvious fake--234567890. Before he got to any details I hung up again. Now I wish I had listened long enough to learn what was going on. Has this happened to anyone else?

/ New telephone scam? #2  
About once a month I get a call saying there is a problem with Windows on my computer. (I have a Mac.)

They hang up on me when I say they must be mistaken, because I don't have a computer. :)

Bruce

/ New telephone scam? #3  
Yes it is a scam, to either get personal info from you or to gain access to your computer.

/ New telephone scam? #4  
Yes I have had the call as well.
Last time I thought I would play along as I had a little time.
I was the dumbest user of a computer that he could have ever been talking to and I made him explain things in the most basic way. When I finally let him think I understood what command he wanted me to type in to the command prompt I told him that the computer crashed and went to the blue screen of death. He immediately hung up. I, of course, was reading posts on TBN while I was talking to him.

/ New telephone scam? #5  
Ring: "MS" agent (yeah...right...can't be....I haven't gone thru 10 levels of automated phone guardian yet...)

"Are you sitting in front of your computer ?"

"COMPUTER ?? WHAT COMPUTER ???? TOOLS OF THE DEVIL, I TELL YOU.....WON'T HAVE ONE IN MY HOUSE" I shout.

Guy meekly says "sorry to have bothered you sir"....

ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

/ New telephone scam? #6  
I got one today from "bob" 457 561 0916. Same thing MS and my computer needs his help! I messed with him for a bit , telling him I was tracking his call and drones were on the way to get him, He eff me and said come to Nigeria

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ New telephone scam? #7  
I would probably be instantly banned from TBN if I repeated what I tell these SOB's when they call. It doesn't seem to matter as they have called several times ( but it does make me feel better :D).

/ New telephone scam? #8  
The guy from "windows" called my mom a while back. Visa-MasterCard called me once.
Lately I get calls from Westjet because I've won a g note. If I'm bored I press one to talk to an agent who I dazzle with my rudimentary French and my tenacious desire to claim my prize. After a bit they will hang up on me because I don't speak English and they don't speak French.
If you want a laugh, check out It's Lenny.
ItsLenny calls
Lenny is very clever collection of sound clips powered by a bit of AI that adds up to a pretty convincing old fart, ripe to be scammed, if only you could get him to focus. My favourite part is when he sets the phone down to shoo away the ducks.

/ New telephone scam? #9  
If I don't recognize the telephone number I just hang up. Sometimes I let them speak a bit and then just put the receiver down - I don't say word. It must work because they don't bother calling me back.
I always figure, if an important call gets cut off, the caller will phone again.

/ New telephone scam? #10  
speaking of which... i need to double check the do not call registry for the US. it has been a few years. most likely need to re-register.
www.donotcall.gov

i was fine for some time, but then blackfriday came along and i get about 4 calls a day now. from stupid scammers. the election stuff was the worst, about 10 calls a day from various election crud :/

i want spam and ad blocker like i get with email but for my phone!!!