New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #1  

wtbeaudry

Tractor
Ford 4000
Hi,
Inherited a 1963 ford 4000 4 cylinder gas burner with select-o-speed. Wiring degraded partially removed and chewed. Have tried to put together but will not fire. It is located 40 miles from anywhere so fixing it is a slow process.

Will post questions in correct forum once I get in and look around. Thanks in advance for the great help this forum is known for

Bill

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #3  
Welcome from VA

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #4  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

We moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors forum. :)

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I an handy but have not worked on points based engines in 40 years, positive ground and tractors not at all. From what I can see in the forum I expect to have a great deal of fun with this project!!

Here we go. I have what I was told (and does appear to be) a 1963 Ford 4000 tractor - 4 cyl gas (decal present). I purchased re-printed manuals and have the original owners manual. Will get the serial number on my next trip to work on it.

First try no crank so checked and found bad battery and bad solenoid.

Replace solenoid and battery - hooking it up exactly as the removed (pos gnd)- however the bat I removed was 8 volts rather than 6. Put it back to 6 as I have chargers for that voltage (not 8) and it is the original spec voltage.

Key on, starter button mow cranks engine, trans in park (or neutral), part choke, part throttle, but no start or any attempt to fire so...I pulled #4 plug and cranked engine with it grounded to block no spark. No spark at high tension coil wire when held near block ground either. I don't really expect it to start yet as I know the fuel is old and the tank and carb needs cleaning; will rebuild/clean once I know I have spark.

I then replaced as I could basic maintenance electrical parts (points, condenser, cap, rotor and plug wires) and since I suspect a bad coil now have a coil and VR to carry with me on this weekends trip but will only use as needed. (it is 100 miles from home and 40 miles from any civilization at the family farm).

With what I have been able to read on many threads I believe there are a combination of areas that may contributing to a non fire/ spark/start. See, below -Am I on the right track? Also thanks for any guidance you can provide. I really want to get this together - it belonged to my wife's father and means a lot to the family.

1. Coil wires may be reversed - going back up this weekend to check every wire and trace electrons. Have new 6V coil; marked + and -. Am I correct in what I read in other threads the + should go to distro?

2. Ground cable (pos) is only about 1/2 there destroyed by corrosion, I made up a new one (2 gauge) but at least 1 thread suggested that it should be no less than 0 gauge. It is also connected to the tranny side at the battery tray bolt - not the engine side- should I find 0 gauge and/or move it?

3. I cannot find any info on the select-o-speed tranny or if it can kill the start (or if it does how). There is a wire from the starter button that goes to/thru the top of the tranny that I do not see on any diagrams of discussion so far. It bothers me that the the starter turns the engine over regardless of selected gear - thought it had to be in park?

4. Can I hold off on working the charging side (i.e. gen/VR polarity, etc.) until I see good spark? That wiring for that side although dirty appears to be original and in place.

5. Not having seen it run I am not certain any of the gauges are working and both panel bulbs are missing. If the amp meter is bad, since is directly in the circuit - will it keep it from starting? from the diagrams it I don't think so but cannot tell. All fuses read good. Light switch works and both front lights work - rear not at all.

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #6  
Welcome from Wisconsin

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #7  
forget the charge system for now.

as for the ignition.. lets start:

1, you have the starter turning over. that's step one.

2, check that points are gapped at .025 IE. open on the high side of the lobe.

3, now hotwire the coil. iE> take a wire from neg post of battery using gator clips and hit one side of the coil primary.. other side goes into the distribuitor. now. in this test setup. put a test lamp inline with coil, now crank over. lamp MUST blink. if it never comes on. check the distribuitor.. the wire fromt he side of it to the points is a lil copper strip.. might be cracked.. if lamp ON constantly, chack to make sure the points are not shorted or closed up. sometimes the feedthru insulator at the side of the distribuitor cracks and lets that incoming wire short to the shell..

once you get it blinking. remove it and retest for spark.

post back.

we can then work on charge system.

PS. without the engine running to release the SOS trans yuo will have to throw the traction disconenct at the diffy.. it's a lil strap handle with a retainter screw/bolt that you loosen and flip the handle.. then the rear end can freewheel.. without doing that the locked trans locks the rear end. i don't remember if the strap is ont he right or left on the 4 cyl. it's on ONE of the sides though. :)

the lil pedal down on the front left is not a clutch but an inching pedal. it's a valve setup. works kinda like a clutch.. sorta..

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner
Thanks Soundguy. Plan to head up tomorrow to work on it (weather permitting, approach roads may flood with the current rain), and will make the checks you suggest. Will try to post from there but internet is iffy - might not be back online until Sunday night. Will also try to get some pics for reference as I learn the mechanicals - like the traction disconnect.

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #9  
good luck, we are all counting on you, no pressure :)

/ New to forum. Inherited old ford 4000 gas burner #10  
When disengaging the strap on the left side don't force it. If it won't go in rock the rear wheel back and forth and it should go in to disengage. This must be done when moving a non running SOS. Dragging it with park engaged will only cause tranny trouble.

Kirk