New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #91  
JC....while I have your attention. I know there are some other threads concerning this, but I like to "cross-thread".

This 1500 I have has the foot-lever on the rh side to engage the diffy lock. It's just like the little Kubota I had....but, when I got this tractor, I noticed the lever was flat on the floor board and would not move by hand. I got around to prying it up with a screwdriver and can now "work it" and hear a definite clunking sound when I move it up and down. The best I can tell from the drawings, this lever moves a shift fork which is (I think) attached to a clutch-gear in the diffy guts. I have been riding around with this thing in the down (engaged) position since I had it and have noticed no torn turf or anything that would lead me to think it has locked.

I can't move it for a few days, as I am installing a new steering sector shaft (I am a slow-poke mechanic). What surprises do you think I am in for when I finally roll it and see what that diffy lock lever really does.....or is not doing. It'd been all the way down for a long....long time.

Old,

Your observation is correct. The diffy lock pedal should stay up during normal condition. Either one of the rear wheel will engage due to the traction needed when the lever is up. I can later take the look at the guts of diffy but my cursory look at it is the same of what you found. Up and down motion of foot lever moves the shifter fork left and right to engage or dis engage. For sure you had both wheel locked, I would think it stresses out the mechanism if during all the turns one wheel is forced to slip, probably on dirt might not be so bad buy on pavement would not be a good thing. I have not needed to use it often, that clanking noise when I engage is noticeable. I too had a bot difficulty to raise the lever up after engaging it. Instead of prying it to submission I changed the gear to reverse and moved a few inches backward and on every occasion it jumped to normal position. I have not read this in Owner's manual but I think it might be the way to do it. Give a try and let us know.

JC,

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #92  
Jettro
thanks for the information on type of switch.
i can do the mod you outlined with pix as well very nice and appreciated !
thot mabbe the switch had the timer for flasher in it but if just on/off that is great. doing all the lub changes to fluids to day thank you so much
de Zizzy

Zizy,

I too thought the switch was a bit more sophisticated specialty seeing the 3 prong connector, only by closer observation I saw only two wires going to flasher switch. I took the switch off and bench tested it with a test light/ continuity meter just to verify it. The extra punched out hole was about a 2 mm smaller in dia needed so I ended up using a uni-bit to just enlarge it a tad to get the new switch in. I cut off flush the old switch stem that was broken off and filed it smooth... now it just covers the hole.

JC,

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question.
That same hole that you guys are using for your flashers is the same one that I used for my glow plug race switch. Arent we glad they put it there for us!

Cut my prop this morning after installing the new volt reg, and cleaning all the terminals with the wire brush.....but the light is still on, so im guessing the next step will be to take the alt in to be tested. (old- i didnt hear it making any more or less noise with the off/on trick. And like you im a slow fixer upper.)

Good news is the only thing that im running off the battery is the temp gauge and the sensors. So as long as i keep my trickle charger up i should be good until i get the charging issue taken care of.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #94  
That same hole that you guys are using for your flashers is the same one that I used for my glow plug race switch. Arent we glad they put it there for us!

Cut my prop this morning after installing the new volt reg, and cleaning all the terminals with the wire brush.....but the light is still on, so im guessing the next step will be to take the alt in to be tested. (old- i didnt hear it making any more or less noise with the off/on trick. And like you im a slow fixer upper.)

Good news is the only thing that im running off the battery is the temp gauge and the sensors. So as long as i keep my trickle charger up i should be good until i get the charging issue taken care of.

BG,

I think you're just fine. I might have a portable battery that HF sells at the ready and use it normally just to see if the battery actually gets to the point that can't start the tractor. What was the charging voltage after the regulator change out? It takes 10 minutes to take the alt off the tractor and almost all part stores do an alt check for free.

JC,

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #95  
I believe most of these things take a Hitachi alternator, which can be had for not much over $100. The terminal was burned off mine when I got the machine and I fully expected to have to get a new one, but I separated the cases and was able to install a new bolt from the back side and fix it.

Unlike some of you guys....I am making a stripped down hot-rod out of mine and could care less about flashers and lights. I took all that stuff off a long time ago. I do not expect to have it out on the highway or operate it much at night. (My wife has not taken my truck keys away....yet.) Mine may wind up looking like that old golf course Tractor Arnold Palmer use to talk about in the Pennzoil commercials. I want my stuff to run right and look good. Anything hanging off broken, or unnecessary comes off. I plan to add a manual oil pressure gauge just for kicks and my tachometer still works, which is cable driven anyway. All I need an alternator for is to charge my battery.

Well after splitting the alt, i found that one of the small wires that went to the core was MIA, put a new wire on it and soldered it up and installed today. WHALA light went off and things were good until about 15 min later. Im guessing my half@ss solder didnt hold up (had to do it with plumbing solder), or the other side went out. Im going to resplit it and take some pics this time. They wanted almost 120 bucks for a replacement at the autopart store!

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #97  
I am a little unclear when you say MIA. I know it means missing in action, but could you tell if it was burned away or just broken? If the same thing has happened and you find the wire burned or MIA again....it's possible that one of the windings is shorted, or the diode bank has issues.

Do this when you fix it again....make sure your battery is well charged. It will not place the full load on the alternator to recharge the battery.

I hope it's just your poor solder joint.....that was not a SA comment...it would just be good for you if that's all it was.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #98  
Well after splitting the alt, i found that one of the small wires that went to the core was MIA, put a new wire on it and soldered it up and installed today. WHALA light went off and things were good until about 15 min later. Im guessing my half@ss solder didnt hold up (had to do it with plumbing solder), or the other side went out. Im going to resplit it and take some pics this time. They wanted almost 120 bucks for a replacement at the autopart store!

Cool BG,

I full heatedly suggest a full@rss solder jobby for the long term:D. Where you able to check the diode while you were at it.

JC,

Well it wasnt my crappy job after all (this time :), it was the other side wire, It looks like the wire just broke off at the tab, about 1/4'' is gone, just like the other side that i replaced the day before. On this one and the other side i couldnt see any signs of burning at all, just looked like a break, wire was bright and shiny at both breaks. Im guessing the diode was good because for the few minutes it was hooked up yesterday, the light went off right on cue and stayed off for at least 10-12 min...when i went back to shut off the tractor at 15 i noticed the light was now back on. I did notice that the material wrapping the wire on the center was starting to break apart on one side.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #100  
Over time, wire will become brittle under load and heat. The by-product of electrical current running through a wire is heat. Those things will get hot...feel of it the next time it runs for a while. The insulation will also break-down in the process. I have a 1980 model 1500 and once in it's lifetime, somebody had changed the alternator and I can't say how old it is...like 10-15 years-or-so I would guess. I had to go into mine and replace the output stud and all my wiring looked pretty good. Insulation properties and wire alloys have improved greatly over the last 30-years, but once you get a lot of age on simple rubber-like insulation...it will disintegrate and the small copper wire will also. Your alternator has just "been away from the factory too long", or has been working to capacity for a long time. The alternator combined with the regulator forms a "smart system" that only puts out what current is necessary to perform the job it was intended to do. That is why you can get alternators rated for different output currents.

Your repairs may hold-up a while longer, but I would say that it is time to start looking for a bargain on a replacement unit.