New to tractors ford 1700 question.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #121  
Did you undo the neg batt wire at the frame ground and clean that all up? Often a reason for slow starter. Or worn starter bushings. Checked the battery with a load test? Diesel batts need to be strong. How many hours on the tractor?
Jim

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #122  
If I lay a screw driver across the leads on the battery it will turn but no more than at the ignition switch.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #123  
The tach needle broke off the spindle when I installed a new cable which was missing when I bought the tractor, so I don't know the actual hours. I wish I could find a good used one. I cleaned the neg ground on the battery but may have to take some baking soda and wire brush to it. I just got the starter back from the shop with a new solenoid and I believe they tested it and it works fine. No, I haven't checked the bushings. I bought a battery from Garton Tractor last year but it burned out a cell, I suspect from either a faulty alternator or regulator. I switched to another battery that works fine on my F150 and another from my Iseki diesel, but it still only stutters and wines with either one. Hmmm, what I'm picking up is it must be my battery cable! I'll clean it up and buy a new one if necessary. Can I check the battery for a load test if the tractor it's not running?

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #124  
Take the batt to a auto parts, most can load test. I meant did you check the beg cable-to-frame connection, as they lose good contact sometimes without showing it.
If the starter did not draw excessive amps the bushings are probably ok.
Jim

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #125  
Thanks jimmy. I'll take the battery in for a test as well as the starter and alternator. I may hold off installing the new regulator until I have these each tested. Also, should I buy an ammeter and learn how to use it?

I'll also scrub the neg ground down to raw metal. Anyway or anything I can do to maintain a good contact?

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #126  
Once the cable and ground location are cleaned up, smear a bit of Vaseline on both, then bolt and tighten. The Vaseline allows electrical contact and keeps corrosion down. I use the same on battery terminals.
Jim

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #127  
When we turn the key to the left for 20 seconds. How do we know that the glow plugs are working? I know, I have my duhh moments quite often. We just bought a Howse scrapper box for it too. How heavy is too heavy for a 1700 to drag? It seems to do quite well with the mower and the bush hog.

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #128  
When we turn the key to the left for 20 seconds. How do we know that the glow plugs are working? I know, I have my duhh moments quite often. We just bought a Howse scrapper box for it too. How heavy is too heavy for a 1700 to drag? It seems to do quite well with the mower and the bush hog.

You need to get a voltmeter to see is after turning the key to preheat you get voltage reading 12 volts from glow plug to the ground. along with that there is a hole on the dash that glow plug indicator is. That should also turn red as it is a resistive wire, same as hair blow drier element. if the indicator is burnt then you will not get any voltage reading. There is also possibility that you get voltage but the plug does not heat up. You can take the plug out and directly put voltage on it to see if it heats up.
Can you identify the components I just mentioned without visual aid?

Pick up a box blade is not an issue, Issue is if you have enough traction to pull. Do you have FWA? what type of tires do you have?

JC,

/ New to tractors ford 1700 question. #129  
Hi! I'm still fighting this starter problem on my 1700. I had the alternator checked, starter checked, a new solenoid, new voltage regulator, new battery, a surge booster and I still can't get this rig running. It'll turn but not fast enough and it seems to turn a cycle and then pause, turn and pause but never any real kick. I've pulled and lightly cleanmed the glo-plugs and the injectors as I was told there may be a vapor lock. I've called a mechanic to come look at it tomorrow but would like a little help in knowing how to sound at least a little "up to snuff" when he tries to tell me what's wrong with it and what it will cost to fix it. Help! Oh, I also installed new battery cables, +/_ both.

Last edited:
   / New to tractors ford 1700 question. #130  
Does anyone know anything about landscape (rock) rakes? They seem a little light-service and my entire lot (6 acres) is strewn w/river-rock. The concentration is not severe, maybe a five gallon bucket every 50 sq ft, but it's a doozy to disc. Can I turn the rake at enough of an angle to clear and pile the rocks to one side for my loader. Any good suggestions for a limited budget? A 6' rock-rake will run me $500 new but to skew the angle I probably need an 8'.