New Tractor Break-in procedure

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #1  

JMER817

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Just took delivery of a new John Deere 4120. What is the proper break-in procedure? Also, I see that JD sells a special break-in oil and assumed that the tractor would come with it from the factory. I emailed JD and they replied back that they do not use break-in oil in any of their tractors. They also recommended that I use the break-in procedure in my owners manual. I dont see anything in regards to this. I'm big on maintenance and feel the few dollars spent on oil changes is cheap protection on a high $ pc of equipment. I am planning on changing the oil at 10, 50 and finally 200 hrs at which time I will also change the hydro fluid. Thoughts, recommendations?

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #2  
I would just follow the manual. I personally feel that changing the oil at 10 hours would be a waste and see no benefit. The advice I've heard for the break-in period is to vary RPMs, don't work it extremely hard, let it warm up each time, don't run the engine wide open, and try to use all the features of your tractor from time to time. That's what my manual says.

There was a dealer on here who mentioned a fellow who bought a brand new Kubota and literally never changed any fluids or filters from day one. He was past 600 hours with no problems. There are plenty of guys and gals on here who have thousands of trouble-free hours by just following the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines.

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #4  
I would leave the oil in for a year or 100 hours, whichever comes first. For the JD5520 (85 HP) I bought a few years back I didn't put the hours on fast enough so I changed it and put back in JD break-in oil. Then I changed to regular dino oil at 100 hours or so and went with synthetic at 150. That's just what I did.

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #5  
This subject comes up quite often. I've attached a page from the 4x20 technical manual regarding break in oil. I've discussed this with the JD service manager at the dealership also. Personally, I feel that following the service intervals in the op manual are the way to go. I changed my oil in my 4720 at 170 hours, which I think is close enough to the 200 indicated in the manual. I plan on changing the hydraulic oil soon, since I have 380 hours on the machine now (bought may of 2012).
Keep in mind, that I put 170 hours on it in 5 months. I would change it anually at least( like the manual says), but would keep break-in oil going for at least 100 hours...more if you are not working it hard. I used my crankcase breather, and oil consumption for my guide.
If you do want to change the engine oil sooner, I would put break-in oil back in.
I think pulling out brush and small trees are a great way to break in an engine. You get a good load, then back off, RPM's are varying, etc.

Any change you can post the email to JD regarding break-in oil?

Attachments

• Break in Oil.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 433
   / New Tractor Break-in procedure
Actually after I re-read the email it mentions that break-in oil is not used in the compact tractors. Maybe that is where the confusion is...

There is no specific procedure for breaking the engine in, we recommend following the operating instructions in your operators manual. For the 4120, it is recommended to change the oil every 200hrs. Regarding break-in oil, John Deere does not use break-in oil on our compact tractors.

If we can be of further assistance, please call the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-537-8233. Our center is open 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST, Monday - Friday and 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM. EST, Saturday.

Thank you,

Savannah J.
John Deere Customer Contact Center
Turf and Utility Products

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #7  
I think the wet sleeve-dry sleeve thing is the line in the sand for break in oil or not. Wet sleeve needs it, dry sleeve doesn't.

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #8  
I've always gone by manuals; I know the old drive it like you stole it and frequent fluid changes, but using the manual has worked for me and I have some pretty old stuff still in good condition.

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure #9  
Just took delivery of a new John Deere 4120. What is the proper break-in procedure? Also, I see that JD sells a special break-in oil and assumed that the tractor would come with it from the factory. I emailed JD and they replied back that they do not use break-in oil in any of their tractors. They also recommended that I use the break-in procedure in my owners manual. I dont see anything in regards to this. I'm big on maintenance and feel the few dollars spent on oil changes is cheap protection on a high $ pc of equipment. I am planning on changing the oil at 10, 50 and finally 200 hrs at which time I will also change the hydro fluid. Thoughts, recommendations?
Changing the oil more frequently than manufacturer's recommendations is just a total waste of money and our natural resources. FOLLOW THE OWNERS MANUAL, they give the changes needed for heavy duty work and you should not do any extra oil changes between the specified times. The only thing you need to do is keep the oil level checked, tighten up wheel bolts after 20 to 50 hours of use. If you have an FEL, check all of the bolts after 10 hours of use and again about every 50 hours of use. Grease the joints every 10 hours of FEL or backhoe use (if you are just using the tractor for mowing and not using the FEL, then no need to grease.

/ New Tractor Break-in procedure
I like my first oil change to be early. Lot of metal fines floating around from the parts wearing in together.