New Tractor Mechanical Issues

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #1  

jvish

Tractor
Mahindra 3650 PST
My 2020 Mahindra 3650 PST has had multiple hydraulic leaks, steering column replacement, and the cam gear / cam / and cam sensor replaced with less than 150hrs and 5 months of use. Now Mahindra is sending an engine short block for the dealer to change out the engine because the cam gear / cam / and cam sensor repair lasted less than a week and re-occurred. It's been crazy to say the least. Anyone else had or heard of similar problems with this model or Mahindra in general?

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #2  
I've been on this board for a couple of years at least, and this is the first I've ever heard of an engine needing replacement. I wonder if your particular model is being made in a different factory all of a sudden. Or, the cam/gear assembly was sourced out to a new vendor.

Not sure how you would find out that kind of detail without contacting Mahindra directly. Dealer might know where the parts come from, but I doubt it.

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues
Thanks for the reply. Apparently the cam gear will not stay on the end of of the shaft (it happened twice). I asked if it was a faulty press or qc tolerance issue and his answer was..."the gear isn't pressed on...Mahindra instructed the mechanic to freeze the cam overnight (to constrict the metal) then insert into the cam gear"... That sounds pretty half-arsed to me. Ferrari has a similar process using nitrogen and then a press (watched in a documentary), but freezing it and manually inserting/pressing sounds like a crewed improvisation. Maybe that's high tech in third world countries. I guess your not supposed to start the engine in really cold weather for fear of the cam gear slipping. I'm not a diesel mechanic, but have you ever heard of such a thing?

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #4  
Sounds like a rookie engineering "fix" to me, but I'm not an engineer or mechanic. Just somewhat mechanically inclined. Even if it was actually "pressed" on, I'm not sure it would hold unless there was a key, or set screw kind of fastener.
Good luck. Hope the new one turns out better. Let us know please.

Just my 2¢.

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #5  
My 2020 Mahindra 3650 PST has had multiple hydraulic leaks, steering column replacement, and the cam gear / cam / and cam sensor replaced with less than 150hrs and 5 months of use. Now Mahindra is sending an engine short block for the dealer to change out the engine because the cam gear / cam / and cam sensor repair lasted less than a week and re-occurred. It's been crazy to say the least. Anyone else had or heard of similar problems with this model or Mahindra in general?
Does the shaft have any splines to key the gear in place to the shaft even its sweated on. Keep in mind this interference fit “sweat”was used for cylinder liners in many of tractors made in US early 20 th century. However they were captured by the cylinder head to keep any movement from happening during temperature swings. I would agree it should be keyed and have at minimum e-ring to keep it from traveling. Even if it was pinned would be better than straight interference fit as described. Again Engineering is different around the world. Most countries have adopted US standards ANSI, ASME others. What you have shared sounds primitive at best. Hope they find a solution for you.

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #6  
Welcome to TBN. Sorry to hear you have so many problems on a new tractor. Hope things get better.

/ New Tractor Mechanical Issues #7  
Looking at the schematic, it is keyed to the cam.