New tractor owner- MF231

/ New tractor owner- MF231
I soaked it overnight in PB Blaster and when I cut a couple hours this evening it had freed up and was working as it should. I appreciate the help from everyone. I'll keep putting the PB Blaster on it nightly to keep the parts from seizing again.

Here's problem #2: My PTO is turning slowly even when not engaged. Shaft is probably doing 1 rotation every couple seconds.

/ New tractor owner- MF231 #12  
That could be as simple as a clutch adjustment. You should have a 2 stage live clutch...when engaging/disengaging the pto you should be able to feel the 2nd stage as your clutch pedal nears the bottom of it's range of movement and the pto should stop or start when engaging...if not a adjustment may work....or it's been roughed up in the past and the clutch discs have gotten hot/warped worn possibly..

Last edited:
   / New tractor owner- MF231 #13  
I soaked it overnight in PB Blaster and when I cut a couple hours this evening it had freed up and was working as it should. I appreciate the help from everyone. I'll keep putting the PB Blaster on it nightly to keep the parts from seizing again.

Here's problem #2: My PTO is turning slowly even when not engaged. Shaft is probably doing 1 rotation every couple seconds.
Great to hear that it finally came unlocked! At least now you can go ahead and do what you need to do. Comment on the use of PT Blaster -- it is mainly formulated for what the old timer's called "penetrating oil" to loosen stuck metal parts. While great for that, I wouldn't really recommend it for longer term lubrication. After getting things thoroughly loosened I'd go to some higher viscosity lube to keep it from seizing in the future. I can't quite picture how much space you have to get lube back in there but some aerosol can of lube (maybe with a spray straw tube on it similar to what you see on WD-40 cans) ought to work. There are several lubricating oils that come in aerosol spray cans. Browse around in their "claims to fame" and you'll probably find a good match -- anyway better than long-term use of PT Blaster. Blaster themselves make inexpensive spray cans of white lithium grease for example.

Last edited:
Going to replace the fuel filter because I can't tell if it's an off road mix giving it that brown look or if it's just nasty. That bottom rubber piece is dry rotted and needs replaced. Anyone have a name or part number for it?

Attachments

• 20221121_134251.jpg
    20221121_134251.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69
   / New tractor owner- MF231 #15  
You'll get a new set of o-rings and gaskets with the new filter.
Have you ever changed a CAV style filter?
If not I would watch a couple of instructional videos first, they can be a bit challenging the first time.

Napa 3166 should be the part number for your filter, it's the same across many MF tractors and other brands as well.
Here's a thread with a few filter numbers or cross reference on the web or order that agco filter..

You'll get a new set of o-rings and gaskets with the new filter.
Have you ever changed a CAV style filter?
If not I would watch a couple of instructional videos first, they can be a bit challenging the first time.

Napa 3166 should be the part number for your filter, it's the same across many MF tractors and other brands as well.
Here's a thread with a few filter numbers or cross reference on the web or order that agco filter..

Looking at my picture there's a quarter size rubber piece between the glass bowl and wing nut. I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem that it's an included piece.

/ New tractor owner- MF231 #17  
Looks like you're going to have to buy the entire bolt kit for that rubber gasket.

Or go with those part numbers provided there and see if you can find just the gasket

Anyone know if the Pat's Quick change will work on the arms of the 231? Just saw the email from the forum offering them on sale for the weekend.

/ New tractor owner- MF231 #19  
Anyone know if the Pat's Quick change will work on the arms of the 231? Just saw the email from the forum offering them on sale for the weekend.
well, cant speak on your tractor but I use Pats on a class 1 AND a class 2 (gc2400 and MF1532) hitch. they work well.
not as easy as other types BUT due to geometry you do NOT lose any lift height. in fact you gain a little, and when dealing with SCUTS/CUTS that is a huge issue.

/ New tractor owner- MF231 #20  
The Pats quick hitch should fit. I prefer a U frame style quick hitch, it has been hashed over here a million times pats vs u frame, there are pros and cons to each.
Also a bush hog can be heavy. Your 231 does not have any weights on the front so it could be a light front causing your steering problems if they still persist. A quick hitch will extend the load further back causing the steering to be worse.
The slowly turning pto indicates that there is some drag on the PTO disc. It could be out of adjustment. Under the tractor is an access plate that you can adjust the clutch through.
Fuel filter does not look too bad. Its equal to a CAV7111-296 or a Baldwin BF825.