New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #1  

tallguy104

Bronze Member
Tractor
B2301
Hi folks. So I've recently bought my first tractor Kubota B2301 and I want it to last.

I live not far from the coast, and I know I need to keep it in an air-tight shed if I want to avoid rust. Thing is, such a shed is still a couple of years away, and for now the tractor will have to live under the house (out of the rain, but far from air-tight)

Anything I've kept under there rusts pretty badly though, possibly worse than sitting out in the weather, since the humid salty coastal air drifts through and presumably deposits salt on the machinery, and it never gets any rain to wash it off!

Any tips for keeping the tractor rust-free for the next couple of years until I build a decent shed?

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #2  
Think about getting a container. They are very tight and cut down on rust. Mine has a Ford 1920 in it no front loader but I have a ditch bank flail mower on the rear. I got a 40 foot high and you can lock it up tight.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #3  
Airflow.

Wherever you put it you either need airflow to keep your tractor mostly dry or you need a few buckets of desecant to keep the humidity down.

Depending on how much you use it, you can also spend the time to wax it (I'd reccomend a spray on like at the carwash) and fog the engine components with an oil. (You will need to do this anyway for any aluminum parts).

Other than that, get some touch up paint for scratches (make sure to wipe the scratch with a solvent first) and wax over it again.

Just like a car, but more awkward.

Generally the rats are worse than the rust near the coast ...

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #4  
Look into how aircraft are kept rust free.

Lots of washing and applying corrosion preventive compound on unpainted items you want to protect.

There are also certain wash compounds meant to neutralize salt that are used in snow belt car underbodies. I’ve not tried them, however.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #5  
IMG_5112.JPG

Use on any surface bare metal or painted.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #6  
Keep things painted and have plenty of air flow. When not in use my tractor sits in a large carport stall. Out of the sun.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #7  
View attachment 703590

Use on any surface bare metal or painted.
Fluid Film may be available here in Aus, but there are several lanolin based sprays just as available.

I use it just as a lubricant. Even though I live about 6-10km from the coast I haven't experienced any salt-water corrosion on any of my 'vehicles'... including aluminium.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #8  
Fluid film is your answer.