New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #11  
You'll never stop / prevent all rust, no matter how hard you try.

I've sandblasted till the cows came home and still can't get it all ---have adopted a new approach --- if it happens encapsulate it with any number of avail "converter" products (e.g. Reformer, KuRust, Loctite etc), then follow up with oil-based paints -- I use Sherwin Williams, but the gallon-sized Rustoleum works too. Have one piece of equipment where the converter/repaint is doing great after a decade.

The reformers all have some proprietary "blends' but many use acids (e.g. tannic acid), other secret ingredients (e.g. barium sulfate) to deal with the problem.

KuRust seems to penetrate more rust layers than competing products but it's very pricey.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #12  
I live in a marine climate, but not on the coast. I've found that during our winter months, keeping the equipment temp above the dew point has help.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #13  
Perhaps those concerned about rust should consider this system. It does work very well. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a tractor.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #14  
You'll never stop / prevent all rust, no matter how hard you try.

I've sandblasted till the cows came home and still can't get it all ---have adopted a new approach --- if it happens encapsulate it with any number of avail "converter" products (e.g. Reformer, KuRust, Loctite etc), then follow up with oil-based paints -- I use Sherwin Williams, but the gallon-sized Rustoleum works too. Have one piece of equipment where the converter/repaint is doing great after a decade.

The reformers all have some proprietary "blends' but many use acids (e.g. tannic acid), other secret ingredients (e.g. barium sulfate) to deal with the problem.

KuRust seems to penetrate more rust layers than competing products but it's very pricey.
OSPHO, before paint!

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #15  
I live about 10 miles from the ocean and we use Corrosion X on all electrical. My ocean boat also gets the treatment on every connection each spring. It works for us up here.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #17  
Another vote for sheep lanolin.
I've a place in very rural Mississippi. 40 years ago yards around here were often littered with old washing machines, old vehicles, etc., slowly rusting and returning iron to the soil.
Since I started moving down here 10 years ago I've adopted the practice of always having a spray can of Fluid Film handy. I spray my tractors when I see an uncovered spot, I work on a piece of equipment I'll give it a quick shot at the end. I spray my saw tables. I spray locks and hinges often.
I've gallons of it to underspray my vehicles.

Attachments

• fluid-film-55.jpg
    fluid-film-55.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 144

They've come out with a thicker variation for vehicles, called Wool Wax.

Sure beats running over sheep to undercoat your truck.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #18  
Found CorrosionX in Florida trying to keep my airstream of 24 years from corroding away camping on the beach. Other campers and boaters now using it. Favorite spray in the shop and farm in Tennessee.

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #19  
Found CorrosionX in Florida trying to keep my airstream of 24 years from corroding away camping on the beach. Other campers and boaters now using it. Favorite spray in the shop and farm in Tennessee.
CorrosionX, and Boeshield are both excellent products!

/ New tractor - preventing rust in a coastal environment #20  
Annual waxing, applying plow-bottom paint, greasing bearings, repainting on scratches are the main things that I'm doing. Also, try to wash off the chemicals and dirt after usage. Storing it indoors is also important to keep it clean and dry. I think keeping it inside a storage container is good, but I have never tried this method. So, I don't know much about this.

Last edited by a moderator: