New Tree Shear slow closing.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #1  

E. J. Jones

Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I have to run my tree shear from my rear hydraulics (20' lines). It's very slow to open and close, do the lines have to be purged of air?

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #2  
It takes a lot of hydraulics to operate a tree shear. It's probably working as good as it will ever work. If it's opening and closing, air is gone.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #3  
Did you check the level of the hydraulic fluid level? What diameter of hose did you buy? Double check for a kink or a pinch in the lines. Check with the loader up all the way and all the way down. Do not forget to rock the shear up and down with it up in the air.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #4  
You don't mention much except "tree shear". They typically have HUGE cylinders. If you're trying to use 1/4" lines, it will for sure will be slow.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #5  
Tree sheers have big cylinders and tractors don’t have very high volume hydraulics. Low diameter hoses won’t help either. It’s probably working as well as it’ll ever work.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It is a 5" cylinder and I'm feeding it with 1/2" lines. I did some checking and my pump is only rated for 8.3 gpm. I think you're all correct, it's working as good as it's going to with this setup.

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #7  
Did the hoses come with the shear?...if they didn't and were set up to operate a hydraulic top link...it's possible the hose has a reduced orifice for flow restriction...just a possibility...!

/ New Tree Shear slow closing. #10  
We have a shear head or two for this. It has a lot of hydraulics, but it takes a lot too. Saw head is on it now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_165459.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165459.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 61