New Welder

/ New Welder #1  

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710; JD 5425, 6105R, 7130-P; IH 1086
I hope this is an acceptable topic for a tractor forum. I'm not a welder by profession, but I have needs. Did I say that wrong?

I have owned and used a Millermatic 210 MIG welder for more than a decade. Flawless machine and it seems like a month does not go by without using it. I now have an itch to learn and do TIG on some projects. Sometimes I would like to do stick for dirty situations, but don't want to pull my stick machine out of the dark corner of stuff.

I have noted some new machines that have multiple personalities - MIG, TIG, Stick, even Plasma. If something had all 4, I'd be keenly interested. I already know I want AC/DC and Pulsed. HTP, Everlast, ESAB, Hobart, Lincoln, Miller are some names that I am aware of.

I would like to keep the purchase under $2500, but if $1600 will do, then the CFO (as in Female) would be happier. If I assume that MIG is included, I'd be willing to sell my MIG and Lincoln tombstone units to soften the blow. Is there some advice you have?

/ New Welder #2  
Edit somehow I wiped out half of my response

Storm 215C has Got great reviews as well as a LONG warranty.

Very Happy with my HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS and my old Lincoln TIG 300 300
7 year old LOTOS takes care of my plasma cutting,

AC TIG with a Plasma ... Not sure anyone has that Yet?

Maybe mistaken but If you want Plasma and AC/DC TIG and a MIG looking at at least 2 machines.

Decisions Decisions- Good Luck- Lots of Great choices out there,

ps. The Mods should probably move this to the welding section of Tractorbynet I just noticed this is in general section Unless the OP wants it in General Buying section?

Last edited:
   / New Welder
ps. The Mods should probably move this to the welding section of Tractorbynet I just noticed this is in general section Unless the OP wants it in General Buying section?
Move = fine by me. I didn't notice that section.

Thanks for your experiences and notes.

/ New Welder #4  
My Grandson is a Certified Welder. Has done a lot of TIG. I'll ask him this weekend for opinions about TIG machines and combination machines.

I have a Lincoln Tombstone and a Miller 250 MIG. I've never tried TIG.

/ New Welder
After re re re reading OPs 1st post if it were me I would keep the Miller Mig....
Keeping the Miller is a strong consideration. I've seen some videos touting Pulsed MIG, so began to think that maybe I should look for Pulsed MIG and Pulsed TIG in one unit. Might even be able to finance a significant portion of a new unit with the old.

I'm not heading for the cheapest I can find, and figure that I may spend another $500 on things like accessories, supplies, and a #20 water torch. I am often one of those 'pro-sumer' types, in that I'll spend for features and quality if it means flexibility and reliability. If it looks and feels right, I can make the case and get approval. Spend once instead of upgrading/replacing later. So I think I'm looking for something in the 200-250 amp range for features and abilities. I talked with an Everlast sales guy today, who mentioned that their MTS 225 has a strong discount this month. A discount is very nice, but it isn't the highest priority. That unit is missing Pulsed MIG - don't know if it is a deal breaker. In contrast, HTP Pro Pulse 225 MTS is missing AC TIG - don't know if it is a deal breaker.

Lots to ponder. Still looking and considering.

/ New Welder #7  
AC TIG is Necessary to TIG Aluminum unless you can afford bottles of Helium which are very pricy and hard to get from what I have heard.
I can confirm the HTP 220MTS can MIG aluminum without a spool Gun. Really like mine. But am somewhat of a newbee with it. It has quite a few programs and does take some learning to get the most out of it. That means I am still learning with mine. But it welds Much better than my 1980's MIG even without really dialing it in.

/ New Welder #8  
I have a very nice Miller MIG machine that does pulsed MIG. Though I've had the machine for a couple or three years I have yet to use the pulsed MIG feature. I guess I really haven't seen the need for it yet. I bought the machine because I wanted more power than my little Lincoln SP125 Plus 120 volt MIG welder. I got a fantastic deal ($1000.00) for the used Miller and it has way more power and features than I can use, 300 amps at 60% duty cycle. But if I had been buying new the pulse feature wouldn't have featured very big in my decision. I would have looked for a good MIG welder with high reliability.

I think there are big advantages in multi-process machines if space and/or portability are concerns. Convenience too I suppose. But if your one multi-process welder breaks and is out for service or waiting for parts then you can't weld anything. I have acquired 4 welders and one plasma cutter over the years. These machines were used in my business so I wanted machines that I could rely on. Since I had and have the room (barely) the several machines have not been a problem.

TIG and MIG welders work differently. TIG welders are constant current machines and MIG welders are constant voltage machines. This means the electronic architecture of the machines are quite different and this is why it took so long for machines that would act as both TIG and MIG welders took so long to be combined into one machine. I think part of the reason why they are finally on the market has to do with inverter technology.

DC TIG is much easier to implement than AC TIG, which is why there are many multi-process machines that only offer DC TIG. AC TIG is pretty similar, electronically, to plasma cutting. Especially the high frequency and variable frequency. I think this is why once a company offers a machine that does AC TIG they start to offer machines that add plasma cutting to their AC TIG capable machines.

If I was in your position, with an already adequate for your uses high quality Miller MIG welder, and wanted TIG capability and a multi-process machine, I would look for a machine that does DC TIG, AC TIG, and plasma cutting. Keep the MIG machine.

Plasma cutting can be really handy. Not only will it cut any type of metal it can also be used to cut other materials. For example, I had to cut some 1 1/4 inch thick rubber. I tried band sawing with an aggressive blade and even with lube it was a slow process. And I had a lot to cut. So I tried laying some .062 steel sheet over the rubber to see if the plasma cutter would work. And it did. Fast. Smelly too. But fast and clean cuts.
Anyway, the above is my 2 cents and I hope it helps.
Cheers,
Eric

/ New Welder
AC TIG is Necessary to TIG Aluminum unless ...
Yep, kind of what I understand - makes a better pool.

I have a very nice Miller MIG machine that does pulsed MIG. Though I've had the machine for a couple or three years I have yet to use the pulsed MIG feature.
My understanding is that the Pulsed MIG reduces splatter. This Old Tony (TOT) has a video that demonstrates his testing.

If I was in your position, with an already adequate for your uses high quality Miller MIG welder, and wanted TIG capability and a multi-process machine, I would look for a machine that does DC TIG, AC TIG, and plasma cutting. Keep the MIG machine.
Hmm. You have me thinking hard. I appreciate the content and technical detail you wrote, and yes, I think the inverter technology has initiated quite a few changes, including a weight diet.

My Miller is currently bolted down on a 3-point custom flat platform (4' x 5') so I can take it and a generator anywhere my tractor can go. At times I also put the whole platform and generator in my pickup to transport to another property, again for 'mobile' welding.

What I miss with the MIG is refinement/control of penetration and material (wire) feed for small tasks, something where TIG seems to shine.

Lots to ponder. Still looking and considering. Certainly appreciate the thoughtful points brought out by all.

Last edited:
   / New Welder #10  
Love my pulsed mig
I never use standard mode now