New Well

/ New Well #1  

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
The wife and I got a little sick and tired of running out of water, 5 times since we moved in at the end of December 2011. Our old well is 27ft deep with a concrete casing at the bottom and a 15ft long 30 inch diameter culvert pipe stuck in the middle of the casing that travels up to the surface. That thing takes a longtime to replenish so it was time to do something about this, heaven forbid you'd want to take a shower, do a load of laundry and then flush the toilet lol. Also I had extended the water intake line as close to the bottom of the well as I could. This worked for awhile but in the end we had a local company come out and drill.

This new one is 137ft deep, casing is at 116ft, just need to get it hooked up to the house. My plan is to remove the submersible pump from the old and put it in the new. We won't seal off the old well but we plan on getting a hand pump and I'll whip up a better lid as the one that's on there is concrete and about 7 inches thick. The old guy that owned the land was paranoid about someone falling in, sheesh it takes 2 men and a small boy to remove the friggin thing, or a buddy with a loader. Anyways here's some pics of the expensive day.

20140430_134318.jpg

Attachments

• 20140430_112320.jpg
    20140430_112320.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 20140430_123923.jpg
    20140430_123923.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 20140430_143526.jpg
    20140430_143526.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 261
   / New Well #2  
I doubt that the same pump that works at 27 ft well work in a 137 foot well. The deeper you go, the more horsepower you need to pump that water up.

There's a formula for calculating the size of the pump you need at different depths, I don't have it handy.

/ New Well #3  
I have to agree,talk to the Well driller and he will tell you what hp you need.
I doubt that the same pump that works at 27 ft well work in a 137 foot well. The deeper you go, the more horsepower you need to pump that water up.

There's a formula for calculating the size of the pump you need at different depths, I don't have it handy.

/ New Well #4  
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what's it cost to drill a well up there? We are building a house, and our well is going to be about 400-450 feet deep, total cost running about $20/foot.

Enjoy your new well with plenty of water to spare! :)

/ New Well #5  
The old guy that owned the land was paranoid about someone falling in, sheesh it takes 2 men and a small boy to remove the friggin thing, or a buddy with a loader. Anyways here's some pics of the expensive day.

View attachment 373326

Don't be so quick to condemn the old man. Years ago I almost got killed by someone who built a wooden platform over a well that was then covered over bu years of blow sand. Well years later as I was land clearing the site I drove over the "hidden" well and dropped down the hole and was stopped by the bucket on the loader being down which caught the edge. It was a hand hug well or worse yet a outhouse pit that was 8'x8'a 20' deep.

Not protecting abandoned wells can kill people decades down the road. Bravo to the old man and his paranoia for having the sense to know this.

/ New Well #6  
Don't be so quick to condemn the old man. Years ago I almost got killed by someone who built a wooden platform over a well that was then covered over bu years of blow sand. Well years later as I was land clearing the site I drove over the "hidden" well and dropped down the hole and was stopped by the bucket on the loader being down which caught the edge. It was a hand hug well or worse yet a outhouse pit that was 8'x8'a 20' deep.

Not protecting abandoned wells can kill people decades down the road. Bravo to the old man and his paranoia for having the sense to know this.

I have to agree about those old wells... they can become traps years after they're abandoned. I come across them out in the woods occasionally... found one this week that was about 2 1/2 feet around, 16 feet deep, with 4 feet of water in the bottom... if I hadn't already found the foundation I would never have known it was there.

/ New Well #7  

it is really the distance from the Water level in the well ( water table level ) up to the house ... not how deep the well is
that determines the head ...

/ New Well #8  
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what's it cost to drill a well up there? We are building a house, and our well is going to be about 400-450 feet deep, total cost running about $20/foot.

Enjoy your new well with plenty of water to spare! :)
I live in Ontario and the well driller I hired comes from 50 miles south of me. He charged me $11,000.oo to go 176'. That was complete with water into the house on its' own pressure tank separate from the dug well system.

/ New Well #9  
In the Finger Lakes region of NY we paid $6300 for a well last spring. 145' deep with only 6" of soil before they hit rock the rest of the way...

/ New Well #10  
Sounds like I'm getting a decent deal then. My cost is including the pressure tank, pump, etc. Everything to bring water into the house. Amazing we need to go that much deeper though.