newbie seeking advice

/ newbie seeking advice #21  
I cut mine to fit. Make sure there is at least 6" of overlap in the longest position.

/ newbie seeking advice #22  
I would like to second the post about clorox for poison ivy.

Some years ago I got a good case of poisoning from contact with Manchineel Apple after vacationing in the Caribbean. It is worse than Poison Sumac. Doc gave me a double dose of prednisone, but it did little. I was turkey hunting out of state, and the itching was unbearable and kept me from sleeping. My hunting buddy suggested clorox, and I was desperate enough to try it. Man, does it work! It stopped itching immediately and healed quickly.

I agree with the others that proactive measures to wash the sap/oils off asap is good sense and is what the experts suggest. Prednisone helps when you have got it bad, and the clorox stops the itching and seems to knock the inflammation back as well.

/ newbie seeking advice #23  
Eastinlet said:
I would like to second the post about clorox for poison ivy.

Some years ago I got a good case of poisoning from contact with Manchineel Apple after vacationing in the Caribbean. It is worse than Poison Sumac. Doc gave me a double dose of prednisone, but it did little. I was turkey hunting out of state, and the itching was unbearable and kept me from sleeping. My hunting buddy suggested clorox, and I was desperate enough to try it. Man, does it work! It stopped itching immediately and healed quickly.

I agree with the others that proactive measures to wash the sap/oils off asap is good sense and is what the experts suggest. Prednisone helps when you have got it bad, and the clorox stops the itching and seems to knock the inflammation back as well.
I was using Clorox on mold several years back and had some nasty burns where it touched my skin around the gloves I had on???

/ newbie seeking advice #24  
Obviously everyones skin reacts differently to different acids and alkali's.. some people are more sensitive than others.. I know guys that work with straight chlorine with no problems.. etc.. and others that the mere smell of bleach will send them into a coughing frenzy..

soundguy

/ newbie seeking advice #25  
eblanks said:
Thanks again for all the helpful advice, I have a follow up story and additional questions. I purchased a used bush hog and trailered it up to the farm this past weekend. After dealing with some tractor starting issues (loose ground wire) I got the hog hooked up and off the trailer, then went to hook up the pto shaft and - you guessed it - too long. I have an over run clutch on the pto from the tractor. And everything I have read indicates this is a necessity for operating a Bush Hog, so it stays. The PTO drive shaft to the bush hog has a slip clutch, which I understand is preferable so I would like to keep that as well. My question is, I have read that it is possible to cut a PTO shaft to reduce the length. Is this advisable? Is it a difficult process? I'll buy a new one if I have to but would rather use the one I already have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The overrun clutch is needed on many older tractors due to the way the PTO works (so the rotation of the bush hog blades don't keep pushing the tractor forward when you really want to stop). A slip clutch is preferable just so you don't have to potentially keep replacing shear pins. You should check that the slip clutch really works.... they can get rusted into immobility then something breaks instead of the slip clutch slipping.

The PTO shaft can be cut with a hacksaw. Be sure that the shaft is long enough so in both raised and lowered conditions there isn't any binding; usually a minimum of 6" overlap (as someone stated) is good in the position where the shaft is as long as it gets. You do not want the shaft to separate while the PTO is engaged.... I don't suppose this has a PTO shaft guard either?

/ newbie seeking advice #26  
Are you sure that you need the over-run clutch? Most 3000 ford's didnt need one, the 8N & 9N did. Simple way to find out is take the over-run clutch off connect the PTO shaft get the bush hog up to speed and tractor in gear push the clutch in . If the tractor can be stopped while the bush hog is spinning you dont need an over-run clutch.
A bush hog, if you can drive over it it will chop it. Larger trees you need to ease it on to it. When I say larger trees i mean 4"to 5" trees. I know that the safety police will have a field day with what I just said but it will cut it. Just make sure no one is around when you do it, it will throw wood everywhere.

/ newbie seeking advice #27  
There were about 4 trans options on the 3000... at least 2 of them were transmission pto...

soundguy

toolsorbust said:
Are you sure that you need the over-run clutch? Most 3000 ford's didnt need one, the 8N & 9N did. Simple way to find out is take the over-run clutch off connect the PTO shaft get the bush hog up to speed and tractor in gear push the clutch in . If the tractor can be stopped while the bush hog is spinning you dont need an over-run clutch.
A bush hog, if you can drive over it it will chop it. Larger trees you need to ease it on to it. When I say larger trees i mean 4"to 5" trees. I know that the safety police will have a field day with what I just said but it will cut it. Just make sure no one is around when you do it, it will throw wood everywhere.

/ newbie seeking advice
The overrun clutch was installed on the tractor when I bought it, so obviously the previous owner thought it was a good idea to have it on there. As far as removing it goes, I tried, but can't find any mechanism that locks it in place. There are two grease fittings, I took both off but the OR clutch is still locked firmly in place. I replaced the fittings. There is no other obvious knob, button, bolt, or whatever to get the thing off. The PTO shaft has a shield but admittedly it's a bit worn and has several cracks and missing pieces. I'm headed up to the farm again this weekend, I'll try cutting down the PTO shaft and see what happens, if all else fails there's a tractor supply store nearby, I'll hit them up for some assistance.

/ newbie seeking advice #30  
Barneyhunts said:
I was using Clorox on mold several years back and had some nasty burns where it touched my skin around the gloves I had on???

I had no trouble using it twice a day, but as soundguy said we're all put together in different ways.

Something that has worked for me as an alternative to scratching is to (when you can't stand it anymore) apply very hot water to the area. I mean HOT. You can use a folded washcloth if you can't run water on the area. It seems to relieve the itching temporarily, just as if you scratched. Doesn't heal the rash, but it's better than clawing holes in your skin. I get it bad, so I've tried about everything.